5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing

Maverick

Reaction score
In my 2013 I put air bags in because I have a camper that is 8,600lbs dry. With gear we are probably close to 10,000. I haven’t towed with my 2019 yet. I am thinking with the stronger frame and suspension they might not be needed now. Especially with large increase in payload (tongue weight). I didn’t have to have them in my 2013 but I liked that the truck was more level and it prevented hitting the hard stops if you hit a large dip in the road. Has anyone towed that heavy with theirs? Do you recommend airbags?

rvsixer

Reaction score
10000lbs with normal 12-15% tongue weight you are definitely overloaded on a 1500, and give you the exact ride issues you experienced on your 2013 (also, far exceeding the 2019 hitch max weight rating). Airbags are a band-aid, and won't get needed weight back on the front tires. 3/4 ton payload rating needed.

Maverick

Reaction score
10000lbs with normal 12-15% tongue weight you are definitely overloaded on a 1500, and give you the exact ride issues you experienced on your 2013 (also, far exceeding the 2019 hitch max weight rating). Airbags are a band-aid, and won't get needed weight back on the front tires. 3/4 ton payload rating needed.

I am well within tow limits. My max tow is just over 12,000 and max payload is over 2,000lbs. I have a Husky Centerline weight distribution anti sway hitch. Airbags were needed in my fourth Gen because I was at or near maximum. I’ve had no issues in my 4th Gen pulling or stopping 10,000lbs. My 4th Gen max tow was 10,050. Manufacturers don’t set tow Maxes at the breaking point. They are conservative.

rvsixer

Reaction score
You lost me at my max payload is over 2000lbs on a 2013/2019 RAM 1500. Picture of payload sticker and or certified scale weight please. Everyone else's stickers posted here is between ~1250-1800 max payload (and 2019 RAM brochure shows a max of 1970lbs currently available on a stripped QC truck).

BTW manufacturers tow ratings are set with a non real world very light tongue weight. Otherwise they would also break thier own payload ratings.

Last edited:

Maverick

Reaction score
You lost me at my max payload is over 2000lbs on a 2013/2019 RAM 1500. Picture of payload sticker and or certified scale weight please. Everyone else's stickers posted here is between ~1250-1800 max payload (and 2019 RAM brochure shows a max of 1970lbs currently available on a stripped QC truck).

BTW manufacturers tow ratings are set with a non real world very light tongue weight. Otherwise they would also break thier own payload ratings.

My mistake. Max tow is 11,250 and payload 1,780. Tongue weight of bumper hitch trailers are typically 10-12% of total weight. 15% is usually fifth wheels. Still within manufacturer limits. I was stopped at road side compliance spot check in my 2013 two years ago with no issue.

Max tow on 2019 Ram is up to 12,750 and max payload is up to 2,300 depending on configuration.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We have a few threads about this...and one of mine goes in depth into all of this.

You do realize for every pound of payload you take away a pound of trailer. An 11000 pound trailer would have about an 1100lb tongue weight. Most trucks we have seen have about 1500lb payload...that means 400 lbs left. I weigh 290...not much camping supplies going in the truck.

Last edited:

Agitated

Reaction score
Regardless of any weight rating analysis, that kind of trailer will just about put you on the bumpstops. Theres far too many internet discussions about this subject so im not going to get in to one about whether or not you’ll have enough truck for the camper. You will need the bags to prevent the carolina lean.

Mopar21222

Reaction score
I checked my '14's tire/payload sticker last night out of curiosity and its max passenger/cargo rating was 1320lbs. What are the lighter and higher GVW rated '19s showing here? I wonder if this mainly a function of the factory P-rated tires?

I've likely been a little over the 1320# several times with gear, passengers, boat, but I'm running LT 20's and aftermarket brakes, some squat, so I'm looking forward to the multi-rate coils on the '19s!

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I checked my '14's tire/payload sticker last night out of curiosity and its max passenger/cargo rating was 1320lbs. What are the lighter and higher GVW rated '19s showing here? I wonder if this mainly a function of the factory P-rated tires?

I've likely been a little over the 1320# several times with gear, passengers, boat, but I'm running LT 20's and aftermarket brakes, some squat, so I'm looking forward to the multi-rate coils on the '19s!

There is a thread dedicated to the tire and loading stickers.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/tire-and-loading-sticker.374/

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, it's not just tires but axles, springs, etc that all determine payload. I upgraded the springs years ago on a diesel Excursion where it's now sprung at 6/4 ton. I'm sure an axle would snap with that much weight on it but it tows very heavy trailers like a dream.

Users who are viewing this thread