5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with truck bed camper?

ManBOOYA

Reaction score
Do you mean a camper cap? It’s the same thing you have to do with anything on a 1/2 ton. Check your payload sticker In your doorframe. Then add up everything you want to add to the payload (people, items, camper cap and trailer tongue weight) and if you are under that payload number it should be do-able.

It would likely have to be a very small trailer or absolutely nothing else in the truck

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

The lance 650 has a dry weight of 1700 pounds, and a wet weight of 1900 pounds. There is no ram 1500 that can support that weight, especially not with a diesel or if you are running a bighorn or "better" trim. Then you haven't even climbed into the truck yourself yet, nor added any cargo.

Then you want to pull something a trailer at the same time? You are going to be many hundreds of pounds past your available payload.

Doesn't matter what they say; almost every truck camper out there requires a 1 ton, or at the very least a 3/4 ton for the smaller ones.

fartsonunicorns

Reaction score
Time to break some rules and go way past the limits, that's what we do.. Stay tuned.

****in send it

2020 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
De-badged and chrome delete
Rockford Fosgate P600x4 pushing stock 6 speakers, P1000x1bd pushing two 10” subs

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Time to break some rules and go way past the limits, that's what we do.. Stay tuned.
Well, if that’s your plan then my only recommendation is to call your insurance company and max out the liability insurance. Then be certain to buy a $10MM umbrella policy so your minimally covered from financial disaster when - not if - something let’s loose sending the truck with camper, trailer or all of it into the oncoming lane of traffic.

Finally, if you’re a praying man then I’d be doubling up on the kneeling time before the first tow praying nobody gets killed. One mishap with the outfit yore considering may result in one heck of a long camping trip at the local penitentiary - be sure to take along plenty of soap on a roap! 😉

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
TT, 5ver payloads, "can my truck tow this" threads aside, it is fairly well documented that our RAM's (well, I used to have one) are the lightweights as far as payload due to their superior ride. If you really want a TC, especially a wet one, better buy an F150 with HDPP (heavy duty payload package) or whatever the equivalent is with GM cause RAM ain't got it.

Now that's if you care to follow the yellow sticker. If you don't (and many don't) then try to keep your TC below 2K loaded weight, use air bags so you don't blind the astronauts in the space station and drive slower than you want to. (Air bags don't increase payload, just level you.)

Rules, or motor transport DOT laws/requirements are for commercial vehicles. We rv'ers and general folk have been "breaking rules" or otherwise not following common sense on vehicle loads for decades, and likely will until the powers that be figure out that they can raise all kinds more revenue by treating us like they do commercial vehicles. Hope that day never comes but as the gubermint' keeps looking for more revenue sources... hmm.

Years ago, (in the late 1990's) I resided in Canada. I had a1 ton CC that towed a 24' TT (wood framed so a bit heavy but it ran on p-rated car tires for years without a blowout). We were stopped around Revelstoke BC at an RCMP mobile scale checkpoint. If you had a half-ton with too big of a TC or trailer, you were sidelined. The officer just walked down my drivers side, looked under the truck at the 10 leaf spring pack and motioned me on. While it didn't happen often, it did happen.

I've never seen any LEO's do that down here, but I betcha' the day will come.

tegs

Reaction score
2021 ram 1500 dt tradesman 4X4 payload 1900 lbs, 2x4 payload 2300 lbs. , comes with bridgestone dueller 7 ply rated 2700 lbs each.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey, folks. Currently looking for a camper to travel with my husband. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Wife and I have been looking at this Forest River 2109S.
I wouldn't want to go much bigger with a 1500.

Users who are viewing this thread