5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with the eco diesel??

Beatle9999

Reaction score
So I made the switch from a 5.7 HEMI to the eco diesel. According to my vin lookup my max tow is 8100 and max payload is 1405. I have the 3.21 axel and the bigger gas tank. Does anyone know if that payload includes driver/passenger weight? The trailer I was looking at was a 27 foot ultra lite with a hitch weight of 550. Does that sound like something this truck can tow?? The dry weight of the trailer is 5,400 lbs.

n8zcc

Reaction score
So I made the switch from a 5.7 HEMI to the eco diesel. According to my vin lookup my max tow is 8100 and max payload is 1405. I have the 3.21 axel and the bigger gas tank. Does anyone know if that payload includes driver/passenger weight? The trailer I was looking at was a 27 foot ultra lite with a hitch weight of 550. Does that sound like something this truck can tow?? The dry weight of the trailer is 5,400 lbs.
Welcome to the world of diesel. To get you headed in the right direction, diesel-powered vehicles do not have a gas tank, they have fuel tanks :)

A vehicle's payload rating is what additional load it can safely carry above its own weight which includes the vehicle, its options, and all fluids including the fuel tank. Anything you add to the vehicle, people, gear, a dog, trailer tongue weight, etc., comes off the vehicle's payload rating.

Look on your driver's door jam for the tire pressure placard. It will also list the vehicle's payload and specifically state that the payload number does not include cargo or passengers/driver.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The tongue weight of 550 lbs goes against your truck payload, so 1405-550=855 lbs remaining for passengers and cargo, in the cab and/or in the bed.
The fuel tank (full) is already considered part of your truck’s payload capacity.
You will require a weight distribution hitch, or you will get a fair amount of sag, specially if you have cargo in the bed, a proper set up, level truck and trailer looks so much better and most importantly it distributes the weight evenly (some weight is transferred to the front wheels) for better handling.
I have towed my flat bed trailer loaded with shingles over 6000 lbs on the highway, I was actually quite impressed, it seemed effortless, I also towed my 8X16 enclosed trailer (2300 lbs empty, 5000 lbs loaded) for many miles, it is definitely harder to pull on the highway, empty or loaded, because of the wind drag compared to the flatbed trailer, the faster you go the more drag you feel and the mpg will drop drastically, head wind is a killer, I stay near the speed limit 50 to 55 mph (80 to 90 km/h) Northern Ontario and 60 mph (100 km/h divided hwy)
Southern Ontario Canada. I achieved 15 to 16 mpg (18 to 19 mpg Canadian) in 3000 miles total. All scenarios applied to the total mpg, the trailer was loaded half the trip, some days fighting the head wind.

You have the 3.21 axle ratio so you will not see 8th gear unless you go downhill, and you go faster than 60 mph, don’t worry, your 7th gear is equivalent to my 8th, so same rpm. You will also be feel a bit more resistance taking off from a stop.

Triton63

Reaction score
I forget where I saw it but on rams website it states that the payload number takes account for a 150lb driver. Anything else should be deducted from the payload including but not limited to people, tools, takeout, tongue weight..

n8zcc

Reaction score
I forget where I saw it but on rams website it states that the payload number takes account for a 150lb driver. Anything else should be deducted from the payload including but not limited to people, tools, takeout, tongue weight..
No, payload, as indicated on the placard, does not include any passengers (or cargo). Here is a good read on payload and how it is determined.

A few years ago, tow ratings and payload ratings were less than honest. I'm sure everyone remembers the games Ford played, they would remove parts from the vehicle, like the bumpers, and then calculate the payload using the new reduced curb weight. Finally, SAE sat down and defined how to calculate tow numbers and payload ratings. As far as I know, all manufacturers are now aligned with the SAE methods.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As I have mentioned many...many times.

What the hell does any allowance matter. And the 150lb number has nothing to do with payload. It was a number used for figuring max towing. Which I have mentioned many...many times is a bogus number. They have since changed it to 300lbs for driver and passenger. Still is a useless allowance when I weigh 300lbs my self and most people weigh over 150. And most recently RAM has changed max towing to just be GCWR minus base weight. So no driver. No passenger. No hitch. You may not realize this...but you need a driver and a hitch.

Take GVWR minus your Payload number.

This gives you base weight.

GCWR minus Base weight gives you max towing.

Then you need to subtract driver, hitch, passenger/cargo and tomgue weight while also keeping it all under GVWR.

There are specific numbers. They are all the same for every configuration of truck.

Hemi 4x4...GVWR 7100 Front GAWR 3900 Rear GAWR 4100 3.21 GCWR 13900 3.92 GCWR 17000

There is no need to use a useless allowance when most truck owners weigh more than 150lbs.

Diesel 7200 GVWR 3.92 15600.

Go here for other configurations

wvyankee2

Reaction score
On the RAM owner support page it has all the specs for your specific vehicle. Just need to put in your VIN#. My Diesel has the 3.92 axle.

Attachments

• RAMSpecs.jpg
    RAMSpecs.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 42

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd recommend submitting your VIN in the link below...do not utilize KBB or another non-Ram site as this is the definitive site for your Ram:

Last edited:

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd recommend submitting your VIN in the link below...do not utilize KBB or another non-Ram site as this is the definitive site for your Ram:

I entered the vin for my truck and it showed the exact payload number that’s on my truck’s information sticker, 1326 lbs, I was never sure of the max towing capacity but now I know, 9726 lbs, I used the US website and I am very surprised that it let me do it.

Thanks for the posting the link.

I was hoping to tow my small travel trailer to Florida St Petersburg area next month but the RV parks are all filled up☹️ and so are the reasonably priced motels, we also looked at renting a mobile for up to a month but again all booked up for March. We didn’t want to book ahead because of that famous COVID-19.

Does anybody in St Petersburg area know of a place available, RV park, B&B, mobile rental or are willing to let us camp in their yard for some $$.

Users who are viewing this thread