5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

towing with cruise control

John J

Reaction score
I am planning to take a couple trips towing my camper next month. I have a 19 Ram classic Eco Diesel. I was curious if anyone uses cruise control towing. My last truck a GMC would down shift at the least little grade and red line the motor. I have never towed with a gear limiter or diesel. Is it safe to use cruise or should I drive without cruise.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I am planning to take a couple trips towing my camper next month. I have a 19 Ram classic Eco Diesel. I was curious if anyone uses cruise control towing. My last truck a GMC would down shift at the least little grade and red line the motor. I have never towed with a gear limiter or diesel. Is it safe to use cruise or should I drive without cruise.

I don't ever use CC, doubly so for towing. It's very aggressive and has one mission, keep you at that speed at all costs. This means that the truck works harder than needed which is not necessarily a problem empty but when towing I prefer to coast down hills and bleed off steam going back up the hills. It's way easier on the drivetrain.

Is it safe? Yes. But you can get better MPG and reduced drivetrain stress by not using it IMHO.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use CC when towing but I don't use CC when the roads are wet or snow/ice covered.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use cruise control when towing no issues. It's not harder on the drivetrain downshifting to keep the engine in its powerband. Actually less stress than lugging the motor trying to not downshift. Just use the tow/haul mode

2021QCBH

Reaction score
Always cruise control when conditions permit. I can’t understand why someone wouldn’t use such a wonderful invention.

This truck is programmed to keep speed more aggressively by downshifting than my prior rams but it has more gears to play with so the downshifts aren’t as large. They would allow a 4 mph drop without downshifting but would drop gear at 5 mph loss.

Eco diesel should be more apt to hold a gear vs a hemi or 3.6 with all the turbo diesel low end torque on tap.

I’ll kick it off if the inclines cause lots of gear hunting but otherwise let it cruise.

silver billet

Reaction score
Always cruise control when conditions permit. I can’t understand why someone wouldn’t use such a wonderful inven

I gave you my reason :) The truck shifts excessively (and needlessly). When you come up to a hill you can give a little gas to gain speed, climb the hill and let it bleed down a bit, coast down the other side, without a single shift (or using 1 instead of 2 or 3 etc). The CC will do whatever it can to keep you at speed as you climb the hill, but it won't see the hill coming and it won't slowly boost your speed, when it finally bites on the hill its too late and there goes the engine screaming away trying to hold 65 (or whatever); but if you do it manually and "run at it", you can hit the beginning of the hill at 70+ let the hill bite while you don't give it anymore gas (no downshifts) and bleed down to 55 at the top all without a single shift.

It's harder to explain than it is to just try it out, you might like it better without CC. Don't fixate on the numbers above, it's just an example, but the technique works very well.

And obviously it depends on the hill as well, some hills are going to require a downshift regardless, but even there you can choose to back down your speed and let it rev at lower rpms vs the "blind as a bat" CC which insists on screaming away because that's the speed you set it at.

In 4 words: you have more control.

silver billet

Reaction score
Another example: if you're towing on the freeway in the right hand lane (where you should be), there is always traffic coming in or heading off, you as a driver can spot these situations far in advance of CC (even the adaptive one) and can control your speed slightly up/down as needed, all without shifting or breaking. You have more opportunity to keep the truck in the same gear without shifting when you give it more time to react, and more time to slowly change speeds as needed. It's just less stress on the drivetrain all around.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another example: if you're towing on the freeway in the right hand lane (where you should be), there is always traffic coming in or heading off, you as a driver can spot these situations far in advance of CC (even the adaptive one) and can control your speed slightly up/down as needed, all without shifting or breaking. You have more opportunity to keep the truck in the same gear without shifting when you give it more time to react, and more time to slowly change speeds as needed. It's just less stress on the drivetrain all around.
If im in the right hand land and traffic is merging, it's not my responsibility to adjust my speed for them. They need to give their speed in order to merge in without effecting the freeway traffic. Many people can't figure this out, and I have no issues making the merging car slam on their brakes becauss they expected me to yield to them. I've even seen one car drive on the shoulder for 1/4 mile because there was a semi in right lane that couldn't get over due to traffic, and merging car refused to yield.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I gave you my reason :) The truck shifts excessively (and needlessly). When you come up to a hill you can give a little gas to gain speed, climb the hill and let it bleed down a bit, coast down the other side, without a single shift (or using 1 instead of 2 or 3 etc). The CC will do whatever it can to keep you at speed as you climb the hill, but it won't see the hill coming and it won't slowly boost your speed, when it finally bites on the hill its too late and there goes the engine screaming away trying to hold 65 (or whatever); but if you do it manually and "run at it", you can hit the beginning of the hill at 70+ let the hill bite while you don't give it anymore gas (no downshifts) and bleed down to 55 at the top all without a single shift.

It's harder to explain than it is to just try it out, you might like it better without CC. Don't fixate on the numbers above, it's just an example, but the technique works very well.

And obviously it depends on the hill as well, some hills are going to require a downshift regardless, but even there you can choose to back down your speed and let it rev at lower rpms vs the "blind as a bat" CC which insists on screaming away because that's the speed you set it at.

I can use cruise control and still anticipate hills. I will manually downshift using gear limiter buttons to get the rpms up before the hill "bites" to prevent excessive downshifting 2-3 gears because it didn't react fasr enough. All while the cruise is still set.

Depending on speed and the hills I am going through, I also just prevent it from shifting to higher gears. I've set gear limiter to 6th gear at 60-65 mph in hills and never downshifted.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A big factor for me is the weight of what I'm towing. I'll use cc for loads under like 6K. Any heavier I usually avoid it.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

towing with cruise control​

Has generally been considered a “no-no” amongst the rv community.
It leads to excessive tranny temps and visits to your local transmission shop.

silver billet

Reaction score

Yep, I also lock out overdrives and run in 6th. Much nicer experience, leaves a little bit of power in reserve vs 7th, and towing in direct drive is better for the transmission as well.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I use cruise control as much as I can. We did a 3500 mile trip to Mississippi last October pulling our 5500lb travel trailer and I couldn't imagine doing it without using cruise control. Fortunately it's just a button that you choose to push or not.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I see no reason why it would lead to increased trans temps. The transmission will downshift when needed and doesn’t know the difference between cruise control vs your foot on the pedal. If there is excess shifting excessively the cause is not cruise control.

2021QCBH

Reaction score
I can use cruise control and still anticipate hills. I will manually downshift using gear limiter buttons to get the rpms up before the hill "bites" to prevent excessive downshifting 2-3 gears because it didn't react fasr enough. All while the cruise is still set.

Depending on speed and the hills I am going through, I also just prevent it from shifting to higher gears. I've set gear limiter to 6th gear at 60-65 mph in hills and never downshifted.
I agree with you in terms of merging. If I can I’ll give some space but it’s your job to read traffic as you’re coming down or up an on ramp and plan accordingly to zipper. I have more sympathy if the on ramp is more blind.

Keep in mind, I’m usually towing 4000-4500 lbs and near max payload in the truck so not as heavy/wind resistant as camper guys.

The only time my truck has ever been annoying enough to take cruise off was last year on some very steep secondary highways where grades change more frequently and are steeper than interstates. I mostly wanted to see how it would handle it and I started pedal driving when the trans temps got a bit over normal.

Typically on the interstate towing between 65-72 I never need to go below 6th to maintain speed. Every once in a while it’ll need 5th but I can count that number on less than one hand in the 60k I’ve owned it. It drops to the appropriate gear (rarely needs over 3000 rpm’s) and holds there for the ascent then back to 7th after the climb.

Downshifting to pull a hill is not gear the gear hunting of the old 4 speed OD days. Like you, I can anticipate a hill and and adjust CC/gear limits accordingly if needed. The CC controls on the new rams work great.

If I were towing heavier I’d be in a 3/4 - 1 ton anyways due to payload limits. I purchased my truck as it was because it’s basically the highest payload bighorn hemi you could option.

2021QCBH

Reaction score

I’ve towed 100s of thousands of miles on the highway with all types of trailers/trucks. I know what you’re trying to explain and no offense but driving beside you on the highway would send me into the mental hospital.

I’d be set on 70 and move out to pass you and you’d speed up down the hill. I’d get back over and you’d slow down and I’d get out to pass again and you’d speed back up.

If the truck is being over worked to maintain speed that’s one thing and acceptable but if you’re doing a 20 mph swing just to avoid a 1 gear downshift that’s something I can’t understand.

The beauty of intelligently mapped modern 8-10 speed transmissions is small downshifts vs RPM screamers like the old 4 speed OD days.

silver billet

Reaction score
I’ve towed 100s of thousands of miles on the highway with all types of trailers/trucks. I know what you’re trying to explain and no offense but driving beside you on the highway would send me into the mental hospital.

I’d be set on 70 and move out to pass you and you’d speed up down the hill. I’d get back over and you’d slow down and I’d get out to pass again and you’d speed back up.

If the truck is being over worked to maintain speed that’s one thing and acceptable but if you’re doing a 20 mph swing just to avoid a 1 gear downshift that’s something I can’t understand.

The beauty of intelligently mapped modern 8-10 speed transmissions is small downshifts vs RPM screamers like the old 4 speed OD days.

Nope, doesn't work that way. You leave enough space in front of you to speed up if needed and the guy behind you doesn't necessarily speed up with you. If they're hugging your trailer bumper that closely then they deserve to be POed.

CC will hammer your transmission, always up/down shifting for every little time you deviate from your targeted speed. A human driver can do a better job moderating out the ebb and flow of traffic and terrain, requiring far less shifts, just a fact.

2021QCBH

Reaction score
I mean, I think your mind stuck in the days of junky 4 speed OD transmissions. Those spent all the time out of OD with the converter unlocked so that + wild gear hunting is going to lead to excessive heat and damage (where the fable that towing in OD gears is detrimental to transmissions came from).

The current 8 speed does great in OD gears when the terrain allows it. Even the older 545RFE was great towing in OD and programmed intelligently enough it shifted to the appropriate gear vs an all out WOT downshift to the shortest gear.

If you’d watch your trans temp gauge and drive with CC on you’d see the trans temp never swings more than 5 degrees generally. Towing elevates the temp by 10° vs unloaded highway usage.

Sounds like you’re towing at the max limits of the truck and or on the steepest allowable grades on US interstates if you’re experiencing gear hunting with CC on a hemi/8 speed.

At least you’re paying attention to not slowing the guy behind you down. I don’t care how you tow as long as you don’t pass me over and over again but I think telling the OP CC is not advisable for towing is strictly your opinion vs reality.

silver billet

Reaction score
I mean, I think your mind stuck in the days of junky 4 speed OD transmissions. Those spent all the time out of OD with the converter unlocked so that + wild gear hunting is going to lead to excessive heat and damage (where the fable that towing in OD gears is detrimental to transmissions came from).

The current 8 speed does great in OD gears when the terrain allows it. Even the older 545RFE was great towing in OD and programmed intelligently enough it shifted to the appropriate gear vs an all out WOT downshift to the shortest gear.

If you’d watch your trans temp gauge and drive with CC on you’d see the trans temp never swings more than 5 degrees generally. Towing elevates the temp by 10° vs unloaded highway usage.

Sounds like you’re towing at the max limits of the truck and or on the steepest allowable grades on US interstates if you’re experiencing gear hunting with CC on a hemi/8 speed.

At least you’re paying attention to not slowing the guy behind you down. I don’t care how you tow as long as you don’t pass me over and over again but I think telling the OP CC is not advisable for towing is strictly your opinion vs reality.

We're talking 5th gen rams here. It's just a fact that a human is more capable of understanding road conditions and can plan ahead better, leading to less shifts, less winding up/down, less stress on the drivetrain.

You can drive how you like, as I said in my first post it's "safe" to use CC. But humans can still do a better job requiring less shifts/stress, higher MPG, that is the facts.

I'm not going to argue this further as its clear you have your preference.

Users who are viewing this thread