5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing With A 2019 Rebel??

Jenks

Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone towing with a 2019 rebel? If so what is the weight and length of the trailer? I currently own a 2013 silverado 2500hd diesel but am contemplating getting a rebel. I have a 2017 coachmen adrenaline 25qb bumper pull toyhauler. Dry it is 7800lbs and is 32 feet 8 inches long. tongue weight is 780lbs. Maximum trailer weight is 11200lbs but I only towed with toys in it once. Mainly use it as a travel trailer. I do have a anderson wdh. Only towed 10-12 days last year but 6 of them were over the sierra nevada summit from northern california to reno, carson and lake tahoe. Don't know if I should bother trying to tow this trailer with the rebel. I am tired of driving a big diesel and want a half ton for comfort and all the options my truck doesn't have. I will have the wife and 2 boys ages 5 and 8 in the truck when towing.

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
(As with most half ton trucks) You'll run out of payload before towing capacity. Properly equipped, Crew Cab Rebels are good for close to 11,000 lbs towing capacity, but depending on options, between 1100 and 1600 lbs payload. With that many people and gear in the truck, you'll probably be over payload once hitched up. That "dry" hitch weight doesn't include the WDH or take into account that every pound you add to the trailer, 10% or more goes on the truck too. So if you're running close to full capacity on the trailer, the hitch weight will be close to 1,100 lbs or more. (Mfg's of trailers are very conservative with their weights, btw, because they want everything to be "half ton towable" by the numbers. It's just not always the case).

Jenks

Reaction score
@jake19 is the payload and towing going off the door jamb sticker?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all,

Anyone towing with a 2019 rebel? If so what is the weight and length of the trailer? I currently own a 2013 silverado 2500hd diesel but am contemplating getting a rebel. I have a 2017 coachmen adrenaline 25qb bumper pull toyhauler. Dry it is 7800lbs and is 32 feet 8 inches long. tongue weight is 780lbs. Maximum trailer weight is 11200lbs but I only towed with toys in it once. Mainly use it as a travel trailer. I do have a anderson wdh. Only towed 10-12 days last year but 6 of them were over the sierra nevada summit from northern california to reno, carson and lake tahoe. Don't know if I should bother trying to tow this trailer with the rebel. I am tired of driving a big diesel and want a half ton for comfort and all the options my truck doesn't have. I will have the wife and 2 boys ages 5 and 8 in the truck when towing.
Just to add to what riccrick said... The Rebels we’ve seen have available payloads between 1300 and 1600lbs depending on how many options you select. I’d weigh your trailer tongue when it’s packed and ready to travel and see where your tongue weight is. Then add hitch weight, other cargo and passenger weight. See where you wind up.

Jenks

Reaction score
Thank you riccrick and zeronet. Apparently jakes payload # is skewed?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you riccrick and zeronet. Apparently jakes payload # is skewed?
The 1840 payload number is straight out of the towing guide for a 4x4 crew truck, lower trim and lightly optioned. They are very optimistic. The numbers I quoted are from actual built Rebel trucks, as optioned, door payload stickers we have seen.

Jenks

Reaction score
The 1840 payload number is straight out of the towing guide for a 4x4 crew truck, lower trim and lightly optioned. They are very optimistic. The numbers I quoted are from actual built Rebel trucks, as optioned, door payload stickers we have seen.

Thank you for this information. If it was 1840 that would be better for my specific trailer situation. As much as I like the new rebel maybe I should look at another truck.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With a Big Horn or Tradesman, lightly optioned, it’s possible to see 1840 payload, we’ve seen a couple. But in my opinion, a well optioned truck, towing 8000+ and 4 passengers is 3/4 ton territory.

Jenks

Reaction score
With a Big Horn or Tradesman, lightly optioned, it’s possible to see 1840 payload, we’ve seen a couple. But in my opinion, a well optioned truck, towing 8000+ and 4 passengers is 3/4 ton territory.

Even when only towing 5 or 6 times a year? Would heavier duty rear leaf springs and timbrens help?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
People have put them on. There are a few threads here. Check them out.

But this still doesn't change your ratings. You get in an incident and you arare overweight...there are laws and fines for that.

Most never have any issues, but if you come across scales or are in an accident, it will be an issue.

Jenks

Reaction score
People have put them on. There are a few threads here. Check them out.

But this still doesn't change your ratings. You get in an incident and you arare overweight...there are laws and fines for that.

Most never have any issues, but if you come across scales or are in an accident, it will be an issue.

Understood. Thank you for chiming in! I have read most of your threads in regards to your research on these trucks. I really appreciate the info you have provided on this site. Same goes for zeronet.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Understood. Thank you for chiming in! I have read most of your threads in regards to your research on these trucks. I really appreciate the info you have provided on this site. Same goes for zeronet.
Very appriciated.

There are guys towing just fine at heavyweights and the setups you asked about.

But I have seen the scales too many times in the past few camping seasons for it to be worth it personally for me

Why I am anxiously awaiting 10 more days to see the redesign 4.5 Gen HD.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Like I said before, get your trailer tongue weight fully loaded for camping. With that information you should be able to determine if you can pull it off with the Rebel. Try to find one with a higher payload sticker. Payload is the limiting factor. I just wouldn’t want to be overloaded from the start with a brand new truck. Better to be safe IMO.

Some other things to consider if you are able to make it work... With some Timbrens or air bags or even the factory air suspension you should be able to level the load. This type of mod won’t increase your payload rating but will improve load handling and reduce squat.

Also watch your rear axle GAWR. Your Andersen hitch may not be up to the task of transferring enough weight to the front axles with a half ton. Did quite a bit of research on that hitch but seems they are not as effective with higher tongue weights combined with a softly sprung half ton truck. You may need an upgrade to a Blue Ox or Equalizer type hitch.

Last edited:

Jenks

Reaction score
Like I said before, get your trailer tongue weight fully loaded for camping. With that information you should be able to determine if you can pull it off with the Rebel. Try to find one with a higher payload sticker. Payload is the limiting factor. I just wouldn’t want to be overloaded from the start with a brand new truck. Better to be safe IMO.

Some other things to consider if you are able to make it work... With some Timbrens or air bags or even the factory air suspension you should be able to level the load. This type of mod won’t increase your payload rating but will improve load handling and reduce squat.

Also watch your rear axle GAWR. Your Andersen hitch may not be up to the task of transferring enough weight to the front axles with a half ton. Did quite a bit of research on that hitch but seems they are not as effective with higher tongue weights combined with a softly sprung half ton truck. You may need upgrade to a Blue Ox or Equalizer type hitch.

Good tips. Thank you! Im having a really hard time leaving the thought of buying a rebel lol. I haven't even driven one yet. Talk about putting the cart before the horse!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What @Zeronet said.

I have a whole thread on my dilemma about wanting a Rebel, but I need to haul and tow and i haul more often than i tow...so I can't make the want outweigh the need

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online