5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing with 2023 1500 Big Horn Super Crew 5.7L eTorque 3.21 axle

rbauer

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2024 Dutchmen Kodiak Ultra-Lite 242RBSL with a dry weight around 5117 pounds. It is 26 feet long + 3 feet for hitch. I want to tow from Colorado to Florida. I am looking for advice if anyone has towed with a similar setup. Should I go lighter and shorter, or am I fine? Thank you.

runamuck

Reaction score
I am looking at a 2024 Dutchmen Kodiak Ultra-Lite 242RBSL with a dry weight around 5117 pounds. It is 26 feet long + 3 feet for hitch. I want to tow from Colorado to Florida. I am looking for advice if anyone has towed with a similar setup. Should I go lighter and shorter, or am I fine? Thank you.
towed similar size trailer with my '19 laramie 1500 4x4 ccsb 5.7 3.92 with no trouble. our trailer was 6000# and 28' when ready to travel. I got 8.5-10 mpg if I stayed under 70. usually 68/69. towed from DFW to woodland park, co. and back and from DFW to custer, s.d. and back. no problem. many trips around Texas and OK. added air bags and Helwig sway bar to stiffen up rear end when towing. be sure to use tow/haul and get a WDH. add a few # air to tires when towing. if you have oem trailer brake controller, I think 5.5 or 6 worked fine for me.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The short answer is that you are within limits.
The long answer can be found in various towing threads.
As stated above, your tire pressures, need for a WDH and making sure you don't sag too much will be important.
Don't speed or put a bunch of stuff in the bed of the truck as your payload rating (check the yellow sticker on drivers door jamb) is low on RAM 1500's.
Lots more do's and don'ts but it's within your truck's ability.

Users who are viewing this thread