5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing/Payload with 22 Inch Tires

cruz-in

Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving Team,

Searching the net, there are lots of threads on how 22 inch tires reduce payload/towing capacity of a vehicle. None of these are specific to the 2019 RAM.

Anyone know how the lower sidewall 22s affect payload/towing on the 2019 Ram? I have read where some folks speculate it reduces the Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating .

Also, assuming you are within payload/towing/axle weights, thoughts on pros/cons of towing with 22 inch lower sidewall tires?

Thanks

JoeRam

Reaction score

LossPrev

Reaction score
Are you questioning about buying a Ram either 22's or do you already have one? As JoeRam said the only way to truly know is to look at the door sticker. Do not trust Rams site where you put the VIN in, that was off by 400# for me as it does not calculate options.

Payload issue aside, I would imagine that there would be less "shimmying" from the tires since there is so little sidewall compared to 18's or 20's with standard P rated tires.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 22s were specific to the sport or nite edition (not sure off the top of my head) of the 4th gen because the suspension was different(not the 22 inch wheels) as well as the GVWR.

We have a guide here that shows it.

If you could verify the info is about 4th Gens.. as we haven't had that with the 5th Gen.

Thanks

Edit: I see you did state it wasnt specific ot 5th Gen. The 22s on the 5th gen do not affect towing, but as with any tire...the load rating could be less than the axle rating but I haven't heard thisas much of an issue as the trims with the 22 have a reduced payload to begin with

runamuck

Reaction score
the 2019 laramie I bought showed 20's on the window sticker but actually had 22's on it. I had them change to the 20's but they didnt change the yellow payload sticker so I dont have that much confidence in those numbers.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s no payload difference between 20s and 22s. They provide the same GVWR and weigh the same within 10lbs for the set of 4.

Besides, there’s no changing the payload sticker. It’s just a guide. I’m sure if you weigh your truck on a Cat scale you’ll find your truck weighs more than when it left the factory.

Personally I’d rather tow with the 20s. I’ve heard a few stories of blowouts with 22s while towing (not necessarily on the Ram).

runamuck

Reaction score
There’s no payload difference between 20s and 22s. They provide the same GVWR and weigh the same within 10lbs for the set of 4.

Besides, there’s no changing the payload sticker. It’s just a guide. I’m sure if you weigh your truck on a Cat scale you’ll find your truck weighs more than when it left the factory.

Personally I’d rather tow with the 20s. I’ve heard a few stories of blowouts with 22s while towing (not necessarily on the Ram).

my cat scale wt. with me and half a tank of fuel was 5960#. you are right about towing with low profile tires. I felt like the 20's would be better for towing and the occasional dirt road trips off the main highway. we also take my truck for ski trips so I think the 20's make more sense for that. you are close on the tire specs. the 22's are rated for 2601# and the 20's are rated for 2679# so about 300# less for the four.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread