5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing my 32' travel trailer

meltedcheez

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Great to know how these trucks tow.

Exactly what Diesel trucks did you have that this tows as well as (if not better:cool:).

Keep us posted on any trips you make...we have a camping thread also.
Where is this camping thread you speak of?

Laz

Reaction score
Well I finally had the chance to pull my travel trailer and I am very impressed with this truck! I have a 32' triple slide Jayco trailer. It is bumper pull and weighs 8400lbs dry. So loaded it is probably somewhere between 9500 and 10,000lbs. I have to say, this truck pulls just as good or better than all 3 diesels I have owned prior to this truck but with a MUCH smoother ride! Note the picture is without the weight distribution attached. When the weight distribution is attached it squats less. Also my average speed was 60mph which kept me in 6th gear. View attachment 8125
Looks good, I tow a 33ft TT about 7300lbs dry and about 10,00lbs loaded and I've got 3.21 gears, I also two a 20ft enclosed trailer w 2 side by sides and it drives and pulls like a champ all the way to my destination. I too got rid of my dodge ram dually mega cab 3500 6.7l Cummins for this smoother riding luxury truck

Attachments

• 20180817_184406.jpg
    20180817_184406.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 362
  • 20180903_131738.jpg
    20180903_131738.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 366

runamuck

Reaction score
Straight from Rams website. View attachment 8153
I looked mine up in that chart too but when I had mine weighed it was 5960# with me (225#) and 1/2 tank of fuel..(120#) or so. Mine seems to be closer to 5600# if I back out those other wts. my 28' trailer and my previous truck

Attachments

• 20180413_192229.jpg
    20180413_192229.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

Browny10783

Reaction score
Yea, I hear ya. I’m coming from ram 3/4 ton and was really worried I’d feel the trailer behind me a lot more. It cruised down the road and a heck of a lot smoother, which is the main reason for stepping down to a 1500. Bad back, that and fuel economy

Attachments

• CFE44526-3C88-4D5A-903A-9FC8E5B1E091.jpeg
    CFE44526-3C88-4D5A-903A-9FC8E5B1E091.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 180
  • BEC12F48-32D8-4746-84F4-77BFC8FC0910.jpeg
    BEC12F48-32D8-4746-84F4-77BFC8FC0910.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 174

runamuck

Reaction score
Yea, I hear ya. I’m coming from ram 3/4 ton and was really worried I’d feel the trailer behind me a lot more. It cruised down the road and a heck of a lot smoother, which is the main reason for stepping down to a 1500. Bad back, that and fuel economy

both nice. new one easier on gas.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Interesting thread. I transport TTs for the Mfgs with a 8 speed 3.92 14 1500 Ram ED. In fact the old girl just turned 500,000 miles. When you are towing a larger TT such as Livinfast & Laz are you really need to use a CAT type triple scale to know you are at least close as can be to Mfg spec for both maximum safety/stability and CYA legality.

I'm looking at my scale slip from towing a 33' floorplan 3 slide Forrest River Wildcat Maxx. Factory scale weight paper work that came on this trailer said 9,086 pounds dry. Dry the only weight distribution I had to work with was my WDH. (an Andersen) With the most weight transfer the hitch could give me it brought my tongue weight down to 11.3% or 1,026 pounds according to my scale results and the factory paperwork. It also replaced my steer weight to 3,300. So with these two more critical things being good plus the hitches built in sway feature, air bag suspension support, and load tires the trailer towed well. Tongue weight to factory original class 4 receiver rating for WDH was also in spec. GVW (gross vehicle weight) was high but still under combined axle rating. CVW (combined vehicle weight) was high at 15,800 but still below the 4th gen max of 15,950.

I transported it over 1,000 miles over 6 percent grades on I-5 over north Cal's Mt Shasta and up the grapevine into the LA area. Motor struggled on the climbs pulling down to 52 mph but rolled fine on the flats at 65. Even pulled off an average of almost 14 mpg thanks in part to the tune. The rig did not sway handled turned stopped well. No braking issues controlling downhill speed as the tuned truck has the turbo brake software and factory trailer brake controller so truck brakes always stayed cool and fresh for emergency stops.

Point being if I wasn't able to get this setup accomplished by working with the hitch and scale.. She likely would have been too heavy on the tongue making the truck unstable with higher COG. Light on the steer axle nose up she would be skittish and easy to roll in the event of sway from wind gusts semi truck bow wave or an emergency swerve around to avoid someone if they tried to pull out in front of me. With light steer weight she could take dramatically more distance to stop. The proverbial white knuckle ride. Same truck trailer hitch and weight mind you. Not something you want to do with your family in the truck or to other peoples families on the road.

Fortunately the Maxx had an excellent aero nose cone. With the flat box front high COG such as Livingfast's you will likely need/want 12% tongue weight to keep the trailer from wanting to wonder and cause sway, at least if you want to be able to run up to 65 to stay with right lane Interstate traffic for an out of state trip. Anyway hope this provides a better understanding and that someone benefits from it. Average camp ready weight from batteries propane water & supplies for most people is almost 1,000 pounds. From Livingfasts dry weight of 8,400 to a wet of 9,400 he would want to load it and set the WDH for a tongue weight of 12% or around 1,128 pounds. (scales read in 20lb increments) That leaves him about 400 pounds according to the sticker but go by the scale slip as its the legal and accurate. Exceeding the GVW a little bit isn't a biggie for stability or safety where as exceeding axle ratings can be. Just focus on getting the tongue weight and steer weight right for a safe stable tow setup.

Last edited:

Laz

Reaction score
Well I finally had the chance to pull my travel trailer and I am very impressed with this truck! I have a 32' triple slide Jayco trailer. It is bumper pull and weighs 8400lbs dry. So loaded it is probably somewhere between 9500 and 10,000lbs. I have to say, this truck pulls just as good or better than all 3 diesels I have owned prior to this truck but with a MUCH smoother ride! Note the picture is without the weight distribution attached. When the weight distribution is attached it squats less. Also my average speed was 60mph which kept me in 6th gear. View attachment 8125
That's how mine would squat before the wdh and the Timbrens installed. Mines a 33' forest river wildwood about 7300lbs dry give or take and the other is a 20' Pace American w 2 side by sides...about 6500-7000lbs w fuel cans and spare tires and parts and tools and beers and chairs and whatever else we can fit in lol

Attachments

• 20181021_091132.jpg
    20181021_091132.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 153
  • 20180903_131738.jpg
    20180903_131738.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 155

Laz

Reaction score
Here's mine with the airlifter 5000 installed rides like a dream! View attachment 13244
Wow, mine looks just like that but forest river Wildwood...great job and safe travels. These trucks do superbly on straight away and efficiently at that, it's going uphill that it sucks the tank as we gotta put the foot down a little more haha. I ain't complaining, I enjoy this truck much more than I did my mega cab dually, believe it or not. The ride quality is like floating on the road similar to a S550 I had, no joke...these new Rams do ride super smooth.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Dump the thin plasticky in coil bags with cheap plastic lines & fittings for much better quality & design axle to frame bags such as Timbergroves. $350 ish no cut or drill install. Better more controlled ride & suspension support and dampening. Bigger bags require less psi to make them less bouncy over ruts & such also you don’t have to air them in advance of loading to avoid ballooning out between the coils per the Mfg.

I towed 9,100 pound TT with my ED. It’s a real load for the 1/2 ton suspension. WDH with built in sway control bags appropriate tires & good scale proven set up very beneficial for that TT. Better suited for a HD truck but sometimes you got to do what you Gotta do.

Beh sorry about double posting some of my info in this thread.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Greetings
Just returned from 3354 mile trip w/ new ram 1500 w/ etorque hemi. pulled a 9000lb travel trailer. pulls like a beast! a bit thirsty at 8.6mpg overall
Wished my airlift 1000HDs had lasted the whole trip. better with them than without
Post up the specs on your truck in your signature so we know the particulars of what you’re towing with.

Good to hear you were comfortable towing that weight. More details on your trailer and how the truck handled the weight would be great too.

Reactions: Laz

Denny Crane

Reaction score
The Timbergrove setup looks very well engineered!

Do the air springs uninflated change the way the stock suspension rides unloaded? And if so, what is the difference?

Thanks.

bigmountain

Reaction score
I have almost the identical truck. Long Horn, but all else the same. I am considering purchasing a bigger travel trailer. Looking at a 31’ overall (I believe it is about 27-28’ box, plus tongue and bumper). UVW is 6500lbs and tongue weight is 640lbs. I never tow with my tanks full. I figure I’d probably add about 750lbs cargo, 1000max. The GVWR is 8800lbs. I have no doubt it will tow fine on the flats, but how does it do over hills/mountains? Have you taken your rig long distances? I will be using a WD hitch for sure. How was the stability/sway? I just figured my truck occupant, cargo, dogs and hitch leaving me about 850lbs for any additional cargo/trailer tongue. I recently gad a 2009 RAM, with the smaller 4.7L and a 3.21 rear end. It struggled to pull my 20ft trailer up over mountain passes. So, going from that to my 5.7L w/3.92 rear will be life changing, I’m sure.... but, with a larger trailer?

Livinfast85

Reaction score
I have almost the identical truck. Long Horn, but all else the same. I am considering purchasing a bigger travel trailer. Looking at a 31’ overall (I believe it is about 27-28’ box, plus tongue and bumper). UVW is 6500lbs and tongue weight is 640lbs. I never tow with my tanks full. I figure I’d probably add about 750lbs cargo, 1000max. The GVWR is 8800lbs. I have no doubt it will tow fine on the flats, but how does it do over hills/mountains? Have you taken your rig long distances? I will be using a WD hitch for sure. How was the stability/sway? I just figured my truck occupant, cargo, dogs and hitch leaving me about 850lbs for any additional cargo/trailer tongue. I recently gad a 2009 RAM, with the smaller 4.7L and a 3.21 rear end. It struggled to pull my 20ft trailer up over mountain passes. So, going from that to my 5.7L w/3.92 rear will be life changing, I’m sure.... but, with a larger trailer?
I live in Texas so I can comment on mountains, but as far as hills it pulls just fine. Usually stays in 6th gear up hills. The farthest I've towed so far is about 2 hours with no issues. I cruise around 60 because of the size of my trailer. (Its 35' with the tongue. ) Truck rides very smooth especially with the air bags. I put a 3.5" lift and it still pulls the same. And I definitely use a WD hitch.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks good, I tow a 33ft TT about 7300lbs dry and about 10,00lbs loaded and I've got 3.21 gears, I also two a 20ft enclosed trailer w 2 side by sides and it drives and pulls like a champ all the way to my destination. I too got rid of my dodge ram dually mega cab 3500 6.7l Cummins for this smoother riding luxury truck
@Laz My TT is 31' and 7200 dry. What do you put in it that gets it up to 10,000 lbs loaded? That's an additional 2,700 lbs of stuff! Seems like a lot? No?

Users who are viewing this thread