5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing my 32' travel trailer

Livinfast85

Reaction score
Well I finally had the chance to pull my travel trailer and I am very impressed with this truck! I have a 32' triple slide Jayco trailer. It is bumper pull and weighs 8400lbs dry. So loaded it is probably somewhere between 9500 and 10,000lbs. I have to say, this truck pulls just as good or better than all 3 diesels I have owned prior to this truck but with a MUCH smoother ride! Note the picture is without the weight distribution attached. When the weight distribution is attached it squats less. Also my average speed was 60mph which kept me in 6th gear. 20181107_094823.jpg

Fred_Cagedog

Reaction score
That is great to see. I am hoping to get a travel trailer soon, but first i need something to pull it with. I have been back and forth between 1500/2500. I would prefer the 1500 since I will only be pulling once or twice a month. To see you pull something that long gives me hope. Did you have any sway issues? If you don't mind me asking, what model Jayco is that?

JoeRam

Reaction score
If I a may ask, what is the payload of your truck. (Indicated on yellow door sticker) Seems like a tongue weight using 10% of loaded trailer weight, doesn't leave a lot left for passengers and cargo if your build is like others

Livinfast85

Reaction score
That is great to see. I am hoping to get a travel trailer soon, but first i need something to pull it with. I have been back and forth between 1500/2500. I would prefer the 1500 since I will only be pulling once or twice a month. To see you pull something that long gives me hope. Did you have any sway issues? If you don't mind me asking, what model Jayco is that?

It is a jayco 32TSBH. AND no sway issues at all. I have a weight distribution/ sway controller hitch.

Last edited:

Livinfast85

Reaction score
If I a may ask, what is the payload of your truck. (Indicated on yellow door sticker) Seems like a tongue weight using 10% of loaded trailer weight, doesn't leave a lot left for passengers and cargo if your build is like others

The GCWR us 17000lbs. 5259 (truck) + 9500 (trailer) = 14,259lbs

The GVWR is 7100lbs - 5259lbs(truck) = 1840lbs. Minus 950 lbs(tounge weight) still leaves me 890lbs for passengers and cargo.

Fred_Cagedog

Reaction score
That's a whole lot of trailer! Great to hear how stable the truck is. Do you use a hitch like the Equalizer 4 point? I've considered going with the 6'4" bed if I get a 1500 for added stability, but it sounds as though that may not even be that important. Thank you for sharing.

Livinfast85

Reaction score
That's a whole lot of trailer! Great to hear how stable the truck is. Do you use a hitch like the Equalizer 4 point? I've considered going with the 6'4" bed if I get a 1500 for added stability, but it sounds as though that may not even be that important. Thank you for sharing.

To add to this my wife was with me when I picked the trailer up from storage and made the comment she forgot we were pulling the trailer because it was riding so smooth. And yes on the hitch.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
5259lbs(truck)
Where did you get this number...because we have 2wd bighorns that don't have as much payload as you say your truck does. Very curious, as it seems your truck is doing just fine with this large a trailer. Making me have more thoughts for my 1500 towing debacle.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok makes sense now. Have you read our payload sticker thread. That info is highly tainted.

Post a pick of your tire and payload sticker on your driver's door jamb.

1205 is the lowest Laramie and 1786 is the highest laramie...lots are at about 1500.

Will be interested to know what your sticker says.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From @Gondul link... Screenshot_20181113-174500_Drive.jpg

Laramie has more options and weight than the truck options they list for base numbers...so far no one with a 4x4 has came close to the 1840 mark...just ask @YoAdrian

Like I said very impressed with how this truck tows...just know how much the scales are out here in Pennsylvania now.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/please-post-your-tire-and-loading-sticker.374/

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/ram-releases-2019-ram-1500-payload-and-towing-charts.9/

Check these out if you haven't already.

This is my dilemma situation thread

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...et-my-needs-or-am-i-waiting-for-the-2500.437/

Our current trailer really is a mute point for the debate. Our next trailer will be closer to your camper. So seeing your truck tow this is very promising.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yall are correct. Still gives me 600lbs for person and cargo after tounge weight. Either way it pulls fantastic. View attachment 8171 View attachment 8172
Thanks for the info. Great to know how these trucks tow.

Exactly what Diesel trucks did you have that this tows as well as (if not better:cool:).

Keep us posted on any trips you make...we have a camping thread also.

Livinfast85

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Great to know how these trucks tow.

Exactly what Diesel trucks did you have that this tows as well as (if not better:cool:).

Keep us posted on any trips you make...we have a camping thread also.

I had an 04 ram 3500 dually 5.9 cummins, an 05 Chevy 2500 duramax, and an 08 f250 powerstroke.

Just an FYI this trip was right at 100 miles.

I have also ordered a set of helper bags to help with the sag. Orders them from SDTrucksprings. Will be installing them during my Thanksgiving holiday.

Last edited:

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yall are correct. Still gives me 600lbs for person and cargo after tounge weight. Either way it pulls fantastic./QUOTE]

Too bad the flash on your camera obliterated the last two numbers of your VIN, but I squinted real hard and took a stab at it. I came up with 1C6SRFJT1KN516536, is that right?

If so, here are Ram's payload and towing ratings for your truck: 1C6SRFJT1KN516536_RAm-website-capacity-rating.jpg

If that's not your actual VIN, you can input your VIN yourself at https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html (click on the text link that says "Look up my vehicle"). I think all of the alpha characters have to be uppercase, or it says it's not a valid VIN, so type it in to the text box on the Ram website EXACTLY as the VIN appears on the doorjamb label.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
His payload sticker is his actual payload...the numbers on the Ram site are not accurate...see above posts and mentioned threads.

Still impressed with this 1500 Ram...but as I have said before, I haul more than I tow, and haul when I tow...think I will have to stick with 2500, til the wife trades up then maybe a 1500 forthe family hauler.

Butthe people here using their trucks, really show how capable they are.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The vin lookup does not give the actual payload for that vin. It only gives the maximum payload for a truck with the same configuration. That payload number is BEFORE options. The ACTUAL payload varies for each vehicle and can be found on the tire and loading sticker on each vehicle and refects the AS OPTIONED payload.

The manufacturers really need to improve the info they provide on towing and payload limits. Too many people are misinformed.

Users who are viewing this thread