5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing capacity.

Kranked33

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum and new to owning a Ram 1500 classic warlock 5.7L v8 Hemi with 3.92 ratio. We were told that our ram had a load capacity of 1700 lbs and tow capacity of 10400 lbs. The wheel sticker on the drivers door says we has a maximum passenger and cargo limit of 1196lbs. We call ram and one person said the payload limit is 1540 lbs and another said based on VIN its 1430lbs. We just put a down payment on a travel trailer which will have a max tongue weight of 650lbs and weighs 6500 lbs fully loaded. If I take into account the max tongue weight of 650 lbs that leaves about 550 lbs for people and cargo. Does this make sense at all? All I want to know can I tow the trailer and still have people and cargo? What good is a truck if I can't tow with my family in the truck? I'm incredibly confused. Thank you.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You ready for this. You got lied to.
1700 and 10400 is probably the configuration.
Where they got the other numbers, who knows.
What is on your door sticker is the right number.

Go here. Go to the bottom and select look up my vehicle. Enter your VIN.

Your truck will pull the 6500lb trailer just fine. But You will be near your payload and venturing towards your axle rating.

Your GVWR is 6900 minus your 1196 payload means your base weight is 5704...this is no passengers or cargo but full fuel.
Your GCWR. Gross combined rating is 15950...this is how much your truck, passengers, cargo and trailer can weigh combined.

So 5704 plus 6500 is 12204. So You have some room for cargo and passengers. But...you will run out of payload if you go any higher on trailer.

Kranked33

Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation. The GCWR at 15950 lbs is what we were quoted too, but what doesn't make sense is that the truck payload will run out well before I reach the GCWR. I enter the VIN number and it came up with was ram 1500 sxt, so not may actual truck.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Best way to know for sure is to take your truck to the closest CAT scale. Fill up with fuel and weigh it. Subtract that weight from your GVWR (found on the silver sticker inside the drivers door) and you will have an accurate payload number.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation. The GCWR at 15950 lbs is what we were quoted too, but what doesn't make sense is that the truck payload will run out well before I reach the GCWR. I enter the VIN number and it came up with was ram 1500 sxt, so not may actual truck.
What did it give as your payload?

This ia why you run out of payload. When they figure the max tow rating...they use 300lbs passenger/cargo, 70lb hitch and 10% tongue weight. Most WDH weigh near 100lbs and a travel trailer will have more like 12 to 14% tongue weight when loaded for camp.

So you can not get to the max tow...on any truck with a travel trailer.

You run out of payload before trailer weight because it is a 1500...they have a very stout enfine and drivetrain, but only the suspension and frame limit it.

Max payload and max towing are mutually exclusive.
You can haul or you can tow.

I have a thread in the towing section were I try to justify going from my 2500 to a Rebel. Couldn't do it.
I haul more than I tow and haul while I tow.
I still think a 6500lb trailer...if that number is GVWR is doable with your truck. The key thing is length. You really do not want to be over 26 foot.
This all while I sit at a campground with a neighbor with a 1500 RAM and a 34 foot camper. Yikes.

Users who are viewing this thread