5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Towing Break Even...

raven_DT

Reaction score
There are limits, and there are limits. These trucks may be fine pulling 9000 pounds couple times a summer a few hours down the road. But it's a different story if you were for example, using them for your business and pulling heavy machinery all day every day. Right? So the question is more about "am I killing my truck early by working it hard", and depending on how often you are pulling and what you are pulling, the answer to that is definitely "yes", even if you are within the limits.
I that really what I was getting at, from cost benefit calc, I keep the 1500 (no brainier). The question is what condition is the truck when (if) I'm ready to trade? Good discussion, thanks to all.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree, but OP isn't towing it daily (aka work truck) so apples and oranges? Also, if you upgrade trucks every 3 or 4 years inside warranty.....what is your goal then if the increased wear is outside your ownership envelope?

For myself, I don't really decide ahead of time whether to keep it for 5 years or 10. Depends on how it's treated me, mileage, what I can get for it etc. I plan to do some serious long distance hauling this summer (couple months), possibly same thing next year again. These trucks aren't really built for that, but I drive like a grandma most often and plan to keep the weight down.

Looking back, last year I should have bought a used diesel (even if it was just the ED in the 1500, but probably a 2500) instead of this new 1500, but my plans for this summer weren't as large as they've since mophed into. Little mistake, but should hopefully do OK anyway.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
For myself, and it’s totally my opinion, if my 2019 truck could not be trusted to tow 4-6000 pounds a day on a regular basis I would get rid of it and go back to Ford.

I think it’s being too protective of our trucks to think they can’t do a job they were designed to do, which is to work.

Even though I drive a limited on occasion, (when my wife lets me)I can imagine the eye-rolling from contractors with Big Horns or a Tradesman who really use their trucks.

Now if the original poster was towing 8 to 10,000 pounds on a regular basis then yes, that could be a bit excessive for a 1500z

I am coming from towing horse trailers every week back in the 1960s and 70s where the horses were 3000 pounds plus the weight of the steel trailer. It wasn’t even thought of that a truck couldn’t pull it. If you had a truck, you used it as a truck.
The C6 Ford automatic transmission and the 390 that was in it never complained. While I did not have a Chevy or Dodge back then, I would imagine they were the same.

We have trucks that are so much stronger drivetrain wise, better brakes, antiskid and stability systems. What we drove 30-40 years ago was laughable in comparison but somehow we managed.
Just dumb luck I guess...

Howitis

Reaction score
Its a truck. Use it like a truck. If it was SUV this question might make since, or if you were towing more than you can handle.

raven_DT

Reaction score
The other issue is that we towing in all kinds of weather (winds, t-storms, hurricanes (almost)) where a heavier truck would help with stability.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
True. The big and heavy trailers can give you that “tail wagging the dog” experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online