5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow With Fridge On?

Semnole13

Reaction score
We are lucky, our Grand Design 200MK comes with the 12v fridge so we plug into the house the night before to get it cool and keep groceries in it for the travel while its on.

Last edited:

Megs20002003

Reaction score
I've heard both arguments on this. I wonder who here tows with their refrigerator cooling--especially in terms of going to the campsite so its cool when you arrive?

Mine's a three-way that runs on propane/battery/shore power. I've not had a lot of luck running it on battery while traveling, but I can do it on propane. Any thoughts on traveling with the fridge actively cooling and propane flowing? I'd rather carry everything in the pre-cooled fridge (locked) than take a separate cooler.
I never drive with my fridge or hot water on. I pre chill my fridge/freezer 24 hours before my trip and it usually stays perfectly cold for 6-8 hours. I will add ice packs to the fridge if it is really hot out. I have however driven with my furnace on at minus 11°C to prevent my water and lines from freezing. But otherwise wouldn’t.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I never drive with my fridge or hot water on. I pre chill my fridge/freezer 24 hours before my trip and it usually stays perfectly cold for 6-8 hours. I will add ice packs to the fridge if it is really hot out. I have however driven with my furnace on at minus 11°C to prevent my water and lines from freezing. But otherwise wouldn’t.

We freeze cases of water and use water bottles to help chill/keep cold. Then cycle bottles freezer-fridge-drinking (incl boat cooler use.)

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all who chimed in. I found a better solution for me. I used the 12V refrigerator switch beside the fridge that I'd overlooked for the past year. :LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread