5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow With Fridge On?

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard both arguments on this. I wonder who here tows with their refrigerator cooling--especially in terms of going to the campsite so its cool when you arrive?

Mine's a three-way that runs on propane/battery/shore power. I've not had a lot of luck running it on battery while traveling, but I can do it on propane. Any thoughts on traveling with the fridge actively cooling and propane flowing? I'd rather carry everything in the pre-cooled fridge (locked) than take a separate cooler.

should_have

Reaction score
Yes I also tow my TT for the Frig running off the Propane. Especially the mediocre performance of cooling.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did a 10,600 km trip this summer towing a small travel trailer with the propane turned on to keep the fridge cold. The only time the propane had to be off was while on the 6 hour ferry trips going to and from Newfoundland Canada.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some will say it's dangerous to run the propane when refueling a gas truck. Can't say if it is or isn't. Running a diesel, I've traveled with the propane in my 5th wheels on since 2004.

There are some east coast tunnels that it's very illegal to do so and some may even inspect before allowed to enter (so I'm told). ETA: Adding ferries as someone else pointed out below.

Last edited:

Terrible_One

Reaction score
My fridge runs off 120 and my batteries get charged through the connection to my truck, so I tow with the fridge on while getting constant power from my truck, so my onboard batteries aren't drained.

badpewterz

Reaction score
our current trailer is 12v compressor so its always running w/o any concern

"technically" your not suppose to tow with propane on for safety reasons. the only spots ive ever seen it enforced is ferries like stated above and some tunnels require any vehicle carrying propane to pull over and shut it off before entering.

with all that said, growing up my dad ALWAYS had the propane on and fridge running and never any issues.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My fridge runs off 120 and my batteries get charged through the connection to my truck, so I tow with the fridge on while getting constant power from my truck, so my onboard batteries aren't drained.
Mine is supposed do that but I can't seem to get it working consistently.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Seems pretty unanimous. I'd never heard of the tunnel thing--never saw a sign about it, but then I probably wasn't looking for a sign either. There's a pretty good tunnel between NC and TN. I'll have to see if its one that requires propane to be off.

DuaneMiller

Reaction score
Since the late 90's I have had 3 coaches with 3 refrigerators with ran on propane/AC (a travel trailer, 5th wheel, and motorhome)... For each one, I never hesitated with traveling while operating on propane. The night before leaving for a trip, I would turn it on so that it would be cold the next day and off I went. I would shut it off when refueling on most occasions, but will admit there were times, I never shut it off... Now, have a residential unit in a motorhome with no gas onboard at all... Times have changed over the years...

As for the tunnel you speak of, I assume you are talking about the on on I-40 between NC and TN, there is no requirement to turn off propane for that tunnel. Examples of tunnels others are referring to most likely are the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, the Fort McHenry and Baltimore Harbor Tunnels on I-95 and 895 in Baltimore, MD. I'm sure there are more that have requirements, but all tunnels and maybe some bridges as well, will have a lot of signage to indicate so.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One tip re: RV fridges (at least for Dometic); Turn it on mid-day as the first defrost cycle is 60 hours after startup, then every 24. That puts them running defrost in the cool of the night instead of the heat of day.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since the late 90's I have had 3 coaches with 3 refrigerators with ran on propane/AC (a travel trailer, 5th wheel, and motorhome)... For each one, I never hesitated with traveling while operating on propane. The night before leaving for a trip, I would turn it on so that it would be cold the next day and off I went. I would shut it off when refueling on most occasions, but will admit there were times, I never shut it off... Now, have a residential unit in a motorhome with no gas onboard at all... Times have changed over the years...

As for the tunnel you speak of, I assume you are talking about the on on I-40 between NC and TN, there is no requirement to turn off propane for that tunnel. Examples of tunnels others are referring to most likely are the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, the Fort McHenry and Baltimore Harbor Tunnels on I-95 and 895 in Baltimore, MD. I'm sure there are more that have requirements, but all tunnels and maybe some bridges as well, will have a lot of signage to indicate so.
Thanks for the info and yes, that's the tunnel I was thinking of. It's the closest one of any distance (not like the Parkway tunnels) I could think of.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard both arguments on this. I wonder who here tows with their refrigerator cooling--especially in terms of going to the campsite so its cool when you arrive?

Mine's a three-way that runs on propane/battery/shore power. I've not had a lot of luck running it on battery while traveling, but I can do it on propane. Any thoughts on traveling with the fridge actively cooling and propane flowing? I'd rather carry everything in the pre-cooled fridge (locked) than take a separate cooler.
How far are you driving? I've never seen a need to run the refrigerator while I'm driving if you get it down to temp and aren't opening it constantly.

The last leg of our trip was about 6 hours. We left it off and the refrigerator went from 35 degrees to 39 degrees. Outside temps were low 80s.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
Always towed with the fridge on propane. I had always had it plugged into the house a day or two before leaving; ran the fridge on the AC power to get good and cold; loaded food last. Then when I left just flipped it to propane and rolled down the road.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How far are you driving? I've never seen a need to run the refrigerator while I'm driving if you get it down to temp and aren't opening it constantly.

The last leg of our trip was about 6 hours. We left it off and the refrigerator went from 35 degrees to 39 degrees. Outside temps were low 80s.
This next trip is very short, so yeah, I could cool it down before I even left and drive with it off. But, the info is helpful for future longer trips.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This next trip is very short, so yeah, I could cool it down before I even left and drive with it off. But, the info is helpful for future longer trips.
I think I'd be tired of driving before I'd be worried about the refrigerator not being cold enough.

To me, it isn't worth the risk when you can solve the issue with safer options.

Wire4money

Reaction score

My last trip towed 10 hours with temps well above 100. I’ll tow with it on.

Users who are viewing this thread