5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow mirrors - are you kidding me? I'm so pissed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3duke

Reaction score
The tow mirrors are not power fold. That was a deal breaker for me too. Plus I hated the tow mirrors so it was easy decision.

Having had the tow mirrors on a 2015 RAM, and then 2017 GMC Sierra, I just love these tow mirrors - to me I can't live without them. I guess it depends about how much you tow - but even if your not towing, the extra visibility they provide are simply stellar IMO. Different strokes for different folks, but they're definitely a let down for not being able to have the 360 view, not power folding and not heated (at least on my trim).

QuasarZ

Reaction score
Having had the tow mirrors on a 2015 RAM, and then 2017 GMC Sierra, I just love these tow mirrors - to me I can't live without them. I guess it depends about how much you tow - but even if your not towing, the extra visibility they provide are simply stellar IMO. Different strokes for different folks, but they're definitely a let down for not being able to have the 360 view, not power folding and not heated (at least on my trim).
Funny, I thought they had worse visibility and the separate mirrors were distracting. Gotta love choices!

QuasarZ

Reaction score
Really worse visibility how? Also the separated convex mirrors is exactly why I love them so much...
I’m sure if I had them and got used to them maybe they would be ok. But I just didn’t like the two separate mirrors. The main mirror I thought was smaller than the main mirror on the non tow to fit in the bigger convex. I like the small convex up in the corner of the bigger regular mirror.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was just on CarGurus and there are a lot of used limited for sale. Guess what 97% of them have in common.................tow mirrors

Old Ray

Reaction score
Was just on CarGurus and there are a lot of used limited for sale. Guess what 97% of them have in common.................tow mirrors

"devildodge" thanks for the like in another post that was probably not in the right thread, it belongs in here, so could I re-post it, I think its relevant ?

Re-post in regards to tow mirror solution:

In a misdirected solution (as usual) I put my money (kind of) were my mouth was. I contacted a dealer to give me a quote on trading in on the exact same truck but without the Tow package. I found out two things;

One, and I am not sure that I believe this or not, after all it was coming from a dealer, but the Dealers on their initial stock inventory orders had NO preliminary information in regards to the contents of various packages. That would explain (maybe) why so many early orders had the tow mirrors thus getting the dealers off the hook as they assumed common sense might prevail just like us ? But the same sales manager also asked me what a BUG was.

Two, the mirror fix by trade in will cost $ 10,000.00 Canadian! Fold a lot of mirrors for that, huh?

FrancoFiasco

Reaction score
Just saw this thread now and I got a 2019 RAM Rebel - CrewCab with all the options except for the air suspension. Mine does come with the power folding tow mirrors and they're heated as well. I'm in Toronto... if that says anything?

FrancoFiasco

Reaction score
you don't have tow mirrors

Funny you say that, my window sticker actually says "Tow Mirrors - Power/Fold" . If they're not tow mirrors, what are they? They do heat and they're power fold and have the additional mirror in them.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you say that, my window sticker actually says "Tow Mirrors - Power/Fold" . If they're not tow mirrors, what are they? They do heat and they're power fold and have the additional mirror in them.
Do your mirrors flip up and out. Those are the tow mirrors. The regular mirror has the blindspot mirror, but it is much smaller. The puddle light is on the top outside of the tow mirror and on the regular mirror it runs on the lower back side.

Would be interested to see your window sticker.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
do they look like this?

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2017-04-14_at_1.32.34_AM_691c2580-5eb3-4d0e-a169-f8c154039957_grande.png
    Screen_Shot_2017-04-14_at_1.32.34_AM_691c2580-5eb3-4d0e-a169-f8c154039957_grande.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 20

FrancoFiasco

Reaction score
Same size but I do have the little blind spot mirror instead. I guess they're the regular mirrors? Funny how the package says tow/power fold. They're definitely heated as well.

Old Ray

Reaction score
Funny how the package says tow/power fold.

Right, about as funny as a impacted wisdom tooth. This is brought to you by the same people that charged me for trailer mirrors and then took off the power fold ones and the 360 camera and I have a block heater cord that only reaches to the air cleaner. Yes I was stupid for not paying attention and doing my home work , BUT just maybe I was really stupid for buying a FCA in the first place. :mad:

Old Ray

Reaction score
stupid would be tradin' down to a V6 EcoBoost :poop:

........how did you know,........that was what I traded in...........not a bad truck, surprising power,........and no tow mirrors,........and NO corporate tow mirror crap,...... should have keep it !

You know I just might trade it in, .......thanks for the idea.

th3duke

Reaction score
........how did you know,........that was what I traded in...........not a bad truck, surprising power,........and no tow mirrors,........and NO corporate tow mirror crap,...... should have keep it !

You know I just might trade it in, .......thanks for the idea.

To be honest I'm kind of over it now - I've got almost 5,000 KM on the truck now and I really don't miss my 2017 Sierra (in any way except gas mileage - but that's another story).

RAM is not the only company that screw you with trim level changes... Check out the other forums like a GMC one - guaranteed you will hear similar stories.

The bottom line is, I should have researched more before my purchase, and understand the impacts of adding options. Ideally the salesman (or woman) would be educated enough about what the changes in trim affect.

I really love the tow mirror functionality/practicality, and I had "assumed" it was the same setup as my 2015 Outdoorsman's setup.

*** In the end, if this post can better educate a prospective buyer of the ramifications of changing options (in my case I insisted on having Tow mirrors on my Rebel), but It is still disappointing that a $70,000 CDN loonie truck doesn't have heated mirrors - especially when my previous RAM had the same mirrors (black, but no blind spot) and were heated.

I would recommend we close this thread since I really didn't intend it to be used for bashing one another. I was just really pissed when I found out they weren't heated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread