5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow mirrors and surround view

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Hey everyone first post on the forum here. Have been lurking for a while finally decided to sign up and participate. I currently drive a 2012 ram 2500 Cummins Laramie. Thinking about downsizing to a 2019 ram limited. There are a few coming into my area (ri)that are optioned the way I would like and the color I like (granite). This may be covered somewhere but I haven’t been able to find it so here goes. I like the idea of the surround view camera and I also like the towing mirrors as I have them now and do a fair amount of towing. I have noticed on the window stickers that it says next to surround view (n/a with tow mirrors). Anybody else notice this or can explain if you can have both? Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
First off, welcome to the forums, glad to have you here.

Secondly thats interesting and not something that I've noticed, I wonder if they didn't update the tow mirrors to have cameras in them for some reason. I'll do some digging around and see what I can come up with.

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks for checking that out and glad to be here. Here is a sample window sticker of what I’m talking about. (see attachment)

Attachments

• 3D72300B-5D98-4B0A-B2B6-9DC2B3C889DE.png
    3D72300B-5D98-4B0A-B2B6-9DC2B3C889DE.png
    499.4 KB · Views: 452

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, I'm willing to bed they didn't change the tow mirrors to add the cameras. They look like the same tow mirrors to me that are on the 4th Gen trucks. Odd choice but I will look into a definitive answer.

srtdodge05

Reaction score
Tow mirrors have not changed since they first came out. I drove a 2019 with tow mirrors and they are 100% same as my 2016 truck.

BBLV

Reaction score
When did they make this change to the Build & Price and window sticker info?? I wouldn't have ordered the tow package if I had known it would delete the surrounds view camera option! This might be a deal killer for me and my truck is supposed to arrive in 2 weeks.

J

jimh4662@

Don't blame you. Today's prices I'm damn finicky on purchases. On everything not just your truck.

BBLV

Reaction score
Ya I'm not sure how this BS move was greenlighted for a new truck like this. My sticker is $65k and this is the nonsense I have to be on the lookout for?

Ksilva211

Reaction score
Yea I was a little surprised when I saw it on one of the window stickers. Usually during the build and price it will tell you if you ad something that conflicts with something else. Not sure why it doesn’t do that and just has a little note on the window sticker. Seems a little rediculous to me.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems like Ram is following this forum - that disclaimer is now on the web config tool, at least for the Limited:

Surround-View Camera (N/A w/Trailer-Tow Mirrors)

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am seriously thinking of dropping the tow package to keep the 360 camera, but I do need the trailer brake.

What would be easier,

dropping the tow package and adding the trailer brake later

Or

Getting the tow package and swapping back to the stock mirrors with the side cameras

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just option the trailer brake controller and the hitch, that's how my 4th gen is optioned and how I'll be ordering my 5th gen as well. Personally I'm not a fan of the tow mirrors, that goes for any brand not just RAM but I see the value in them for people that do tow a lot.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just add the trailer brake option without the entire tow package. You dont have to "add it later" you can do this when you order the truck. You can have the trailer brake without the entire tow package.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
(see attachment)

Here ya go, sales code XHC.

Attachments

• Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    372.9 KB · Views: 309

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thats what I am doing when I order my Rebel. Just getting the controller for future use. My Seadoo and trailer don't weigh enough and don't have brakes to use it now but I might be getting a toy hauler and that will definitely have brakes.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, I will do that. Was just walking out the door to order a truck, but I called the dealer. He says the rambox now shows up on his order list, but can’t select it. He is going to look ? into it. So close

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat - waiting on dealer to be able to select that last item.

D

Deleted member 85

I did some digging here also as it's a bit of a joke in my opinion that surround view gets kicked.

They won't add surround view option on tow mirrors until the next gen HD Rams are ready. Being that HDs have tow-mirrors standard, it's a bit of a cost-measure I think to wait until multiple vehicles have the same part.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BobbiBigWheels said:
I digging here also as it's a bit of a joke in my opinion that surround view gets kicked.

They won't add surround view option on tow mirrors until the next gen HD Rams are ready. Being that HDs have tow-mirrors standard, it's a bit of a cost-measure I think to wait until multiple vehicles have the same part.
Well at the end of the day it is a business and their goal is to make as much of a profit as possible so it would make sense if your belief is real.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all - new to the forum, but this thread brought up a question.

When the 2019 "build and price" configurator first came online, I was able to opt for the 4-corner air suspension without being forced to add the "trailer-tow group". I was specifically trying to avoid adding the trailer-tow mirrors, so I went the route of adding the trailer brake control separately (as Jared posted above).

The configurator has recently been changed to force the addition of the trailer-tow group in order to add the air suspension (see attached).

Is a dealer able to configure this differently than the online configurator? I want the air suspension with the non trailer-tow mirrors so as to retain the surround-view capability. Worst case, would I be able to purchase an 'extra' set of non trailer-tow mirrors and retain the surround-view capability?

Otherwise, it seems that it is not possible to purchase the 4-corner air suspension with surround view.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 23

Users who are viewing this thread