5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow hook installation question

79 300

Reaction score
I have tow hooks and the trim bezels on order for my truck. Today I crawled under the front to see how things looked. I can barely get my hands up behind the bumper to reach the bezels. Is there some trick in removing and replacing them to get at the nuts and clips? Someone on here must have done this by now.
It looks simple enough on the instructions I found online, but reaching in there, especially with a wrench seems impossible.
Thanks.

Lateralus

Reaction score
It's not too bad if you have small hands. The nuts are not very tight. I recommend dropping the aero spoiler as it gives you better access to the body mount bolts, and makes it easier to torque the bolts down.
There are just two nuts on each side that hold the aero spoiler in place.

rbram

Reaction score
I have tow hooks and the trim bezels on order for my truck. Today I crawled under the front to see how things looked. I can barely get my hands up behind the bumper to reach the bezels. Is there some trick in removing and replacing them to get at the nuts and clips? Someone on here must have done this by now.
It looks simple enough on the instructions I found online, but reaching in there, especially with a wrench seems impossible.
Thanks.
Im looking to do the same. Please let me know how it goes and any info that may help me. Ill be ordering my tow hooks soon. Thanks.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Installed mine a few days ago. I agree its tight but there's enough room, dropping the air dam would help if you want to save a few minutes. I also skipped on getting the plastic trim pieces and just cut mine out, looks exactly the same and I saved $20.

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will find that the two long silver body mount bolts (one on each side) will unscrew to a point that they drop an inch or so and act loose but won't come out further. There is a tin keeper (on upper part of bolt) that is hanging them up and an end wrench on shaft above bolt head with a hammer tapping down on it will pull tin keeper on through. Bolt will then come all the way out. Use pliers to twist off keeper and discard. You are then ready to reinstall bolt through tow hook and add second bolt that came with it. There is a video maybe on Youtube about this. Search "2019 Ram tow hooks" I pulled mine out so I could prep and paint them flame red. Rebels are very open under the tow hook bolts area as no air dam in the way. Hope this helps! :) IMG_3406.JPG

Jordan2929

Reaction score
You will find that the two long silver body mount bolts (one on each side) will unscrew to a point that they drop an inch or so and act loose but won't come out further. There is a tin keeper (on upper part of bolt) that is hanging them up and an end wrench on shaft above bolt head with a hammer tapping down on it will pull tin keeper on through. Bolt will then come all the way out. Use pliers to twist off keeper and discard. You are then ready to reinstall bolt through tow hook and add second bolt that came with it. There is a video maybe on Youtube about this. Search "2019 Ram tow hooks" I pulled mine out so I could prep and paint them flame red. Rebels are very open under the tow hook bolts area as no air dam in the way. Hope this helps! :) View attachment 12036
If you have an impact an easier way to remove the longer bolts is once they don’t seem to be coming out anymore pull down on the washer with your fingers while still using the impact in reverse and they will come right out. Basically you’re putting enough pressure on the retaining ring so it doesn’t spin and simultaneously unthreading from the bolt.

Tlaug01

Reaction score
Can you install the bezel after the tow hook is in? Or easier just to do it before?

Ram1984

Reaction score
I just did mine last night and it wasn’t too bad. I removed lower inner fender piece to allow more room(only 5 8mm bolts). I however did not reinstall bezels before install. I will find out how much harder it is now!

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Did my tow hooks yesterday. As always this thread really helped along with the YouTube video. Pretty straight forward but the space is tight. Had to rake of the front wheel well liner as well to even be able to get at the bolt. Just take off the front 3 screws and loosen the 2 inside of the tire as they are slotted and you don’t need to take them all the way out. Probably pretty obvious if you do it in the daylight. Took some pictures this morning.

755bfc9606521f1b74285b517e6621b6.jpg
c0b32ee3e2da72b3f4bf3480e41ca2df.jpg

And a mock up of what I am thinking about doing to them.

775e53a48834dea2b2c868e055ba472d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lateralus

Reaction score
Did my tow hooks yesterday. As always this thread really helped along with the YouTube video. Pretty straight forward but the space is tight. Had to rake of the front wheel well liner as well to even be able to get at the bolt. Just take off the front 3 screws and loosen the 2 inside of the tire as they are slotted and you don’t need to take them all the way out. Probably pretty obvious if you do it in the daylight. Took some pictures this morning.

755bfc9606521f1b74285b517e6621b6.jpg
c0b32ee3e2da72b3f4bf3480e41ca2df.jpg

And a mock up of what I am thinking about doing to them.

775e53a48834dea2b2c868e055ba472d.jpg

Looks good. Go Hawkeyes! ;)

79 300

Reaction score
How did you get the little clips off the lower part of the old bezels?

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I think he’s talking about the plastic covers that are in the bumper. They have two retaining rings on the bottom, I just used a flat head screwdriver and they came right off.

You are right, I just reread. I also just used a flat head screw driver. You just need to get under part of it and they do slide right off.

79 300

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply about the clips.

Users who are viewing this thread