5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tow/haul mode always when towing?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rick3478 said:
That begs the questions: CAN you change the TCM firmware to get a manual shift mode, and if so what does that entail?

@Darksteel165 said:
Yes

Do you have any details on that you can share?
Does it entail loading different firmware?
Or do you just lie to it and tell it it's a GT or TRX?
Is it something you can do with AlfaOBD or other "tuner"?
Does it then work with the dial and steering wheel buttons,
or does it need a GT or TRX shift lever?

I'm interested, and hoping for more information.
What can you tell me?
You need more than just alfaObd. Takes dealer level equipment IIRC

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Rick3478 said:
That begs the questions: CAN you change the TCM firmware to get a manual shift mode, and if so what does that entail?

@Darksteel165 said:
Yes

Do you have any details on that you can share?
Does it entail loading different firmware?
Or do you just lie to it and tell it it's a GT or TRX?
Is it something you can do with AlfaOBD or other "tuner"?
Does it then work with the dial and steering wheel buttons,
or does it need a GT or TRX shift lever?

I'm interested, and hoping for more information.
What can you tell me?
Assuming you have a truck equivalent to a GT possible trim (such as having eTorque) you need to change the firmware on your TCM to use one intended for a GT model.
Then you need to change a few options using AlfaOBD to get the correct items to show up on your screen.

You are 99.99% likely voiding any warranty you have on at LEAST your TCM if not your engine if you do this, I'm also under the mindset that applying a custom tune wouldn't void your warranty.
If you're still interested you can PM me and I can give you the info you need.

I just helped a forum member the last 2 weeks and they got it completed faster than me (I was waiting for paddles, not i'm waiting for trim pieces).
My gear limit buttons currently act as paddles, but man are they super hard to hit unless you are going perfectly straight and driving with 2 hands on the wheel.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Assuming you have a truck equivalent to a GT possible trim (such as having eTorque) you need to change the firmware on your TCM to use one intended for a GT model.
Then you need to change a few options using AlfaOBD to get the correct items to show up on your screen.

If you're still interested you can PM me and I can give you the info you need.

My gear limit buttons currently act as paddles, but man are they super hard to hit unless you are going perfectly straight and driving with 2 hands on the wheel.

Warranty, schmarranty. I just want it to work, which is not the same thing. Don't know if I would like the paddles. I think they might make sense on a racing vehicle with 180 degrees lock-to-lock steering, but what I had in mind was more like maybe a rocker switch on the edge of the console.

Anyway, sent you a PM. The idea might go nowhere, but I'd like to pursue it a bit further, maybe at least to the point of knowing what it would take. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread