5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Totally thrilled with new Ram 1500 - mods rock too!

Creamsicle

Reaction score
This post is intended mostly for the new forum members and those who have landed here through the mighty powers of Google.

The forums are pretty jammed with issues with these trucks - as is the nature of Internet forums. In order to combat the perception that these trucks may be particularly problematic, I thought I’d share my experience.

I came from a 2017 Ford F-150 Special Edition equipped with Ford’s best luxury and tech packages. It was a great truck that put a smile on my face for two and a half years. My biggest complaint - and ultimately sent me shopping - were the ridiculous door latch issues and the dealers response to the problem.

The moment I sat in the new Ram with its big, sexy screen, sumptuous interior materials, and amazing ride quality I was hooked. I tow at least once a week and want a luxury vehicle that is jammed with cool tech toys - the Ram more than fits the bill.

Before taking delivery of my new vehicle, I poured through the forums looking for issues that may crop up and experiences people had. In my particular vehicle, I could find only a couple very, very small imperfections. Paint work was as good as modern cars get (lots of orange peel these days!), body panel alignment and panel gap was consistent and excellent, no scratches on the exterior, materials inside were (as noted) exceptional.

All of the electronic doo-dads work perfectly. Air ride works perfectly (man I love that feature and play with it a lot). The Harman Kardon stereo is exceptionally good for a stock unit - and I have a reference level system at home for a benchmark. And UConnect has been great with respect to usability and customization - you can really set it up the way you want.

I’m a modification junkie and within a week made several changes:

* Edge Pulsar tuner - WAY better than expected. My expectations were quite low for a tuner on an NA vehicle and I am blown away with the improved driveability and responsiveness. Totally surpassed my expectations. Ease of installation and integration with the built-in electronics are class leading. I wish my track car was this easy!

* Nitto Ridge Grappler, 33.5 x 12.5 x 22 - Look amazing and make the truck look appropriately butch. The stock tires just don’t look like truck tires. Ride quality did decrease but by a smaller margin than expected. A totally acceptable compromise in my opinion. They are very, very quiet for a kickass looking tire. They don’t rub except in Entry/Exit mode with lots of steering angle.

* Magnaflow 19429 cat back exhaust - Coming from a twin turbo V6 that went like stink but sounded pretty lame, I wanted some V8 rumble. As others reported, the Magnaflow added some authority and a wonderful burble at idle but remains drone free a vast majority of the time. At 1500rpm it is a bit drone-y, but everywhere else it’s just great. There is no drone when MDS kicks in and out - a big point of concern on the forum. I love when I’m at a stoplight and the truck is completely silent until I begin to release the brake and then the thunder begins. Makes me love the start/stop. A constant reminder of the joy of that big ole V8.

* Tuxmat - Upgraded floor mats that fully cover carpeted areas even up the sides of the footwell tunnel. No more salt stains EVER. A buddy introduced me to the brand and they are way less expensive than the Weathertech I used to run, provide massively improved coverage, and look better to boot. Cleaning is also super easy. It’s always cool to find something new and different.

So...bottom line: Build quality appears excellent, features are best-in-class, and the truck looks sleeker and more sophisticated than any other truck on the road in 2019. I only hope that reliability is better than FCA is renowned for.

Hope this sets some people’s minds at ease and that the mod information proves useful.

dfc32a1aee6564edc4f8235c27381065.jpg

Cheers all - and thanks to the many forum contributors that made my parts decisions easier!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phoon

Reaction score
Glad your truck is also problem free! I certainly love mine and agree that bad news often drowns out all of the happy owners out there.

What specific drive-ability improvements did you get with the pulsar?

Creamsicle

Reaction score
Glad your truck is also problem free! I certainly love mine and agree that bad news often drowns out all of the happy owners out there.

What specific drive-ability improvements did you get with the pulsar?
Dramatically improved throttle tip in from a start. The truck feels, in my opinion, quite sluggish from the factory. The Pulsar makes it accelerate with authority from the line. In fact, it is so aggressive that I typically use Tow mode rather than Performance.

Performance mode requires a fair deal of attention from a stop to avoid spinning the tires.

It's also cool that performance modes can be selected on the fly with no delay or programming. I've never seen that before and I have had lots of ECU programmers and a couple of different standalone ECUs.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Rudolf1974

Reaction score
What kind of door latch issues did you have on the F150? I had a 2017 F150 3.5 EB too and I believe mine didn't have issues.

And I agree, the 3.5 Ecoboost with the 10 speed transmission is (feels) FAST! But the Hemi sounds better...

Phoon

Reaction score
Dramatically improved throttle tip in from a start. The truck feels, in my opinion, quite sluggish from the factory. The Pulsar makes it accelerate with authority from the line. In fact, it is so aggressive that I typically use Tow mode rather than Performance.

Performance mode requires a fair deal of attention from a stop to avoid spinning the tires.

It's also cool that performance modes can be selected on the fly with no delay or programming. I've never seen that before and I have had lots of ECU programmers and a couple of different standalone ECUs.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
good feedback! do you use the edge screen or just the pulsar on its own?

Creamsicle

Reaction score
What kind of door latch issues did you have on the F150? I had a 2017 F150 3.5 EB too and I believe mine didn't have issues.

And I agree, the 3.5 Ecoboost with the 10 speed transmission is (feels) FAST! But the Hemi sounds better...

The doors would not latch shut in the cold - especially in the rear where my kids were sitting. Parts to repair this known issue were not available according to my closest dealer. Like not available for the foreseeable future.

The dealer from whom I bought the truck managed to locate parts after I asked them about liability when my kids would be flung from the car in an accident. Their first approach was to sell me a new truck - I found that completely inappropriate and disrespectful of my situation.

On days when they would latch shut, they often wouldn’t open. It was a cluster&$*%.

Creamsicle

Reaction score
good feedback! do you use the edge screen or just the pulsar on its own?

The Pulsar doesn’t have a screen. It goes one step further and integrates with the screen in your centre console. Awesome UI.

Derlant1983

Reaction score
Nice looking truck! I love mine as well. So the 17’s still suffered from the frozen door latches. I guess I was lucky my 15 never had that issue. The only thing is miss about that truck was the ability to customize it with forscan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaGregSS

Reaction score
The Tuxmats look interesting. Do you by chance have any pics of yours?

nmajor18

Reaction score
Great looking truck ;) . Now get those front windows tinted!

DBCrew

Reaction score
I second the pictures for the floor mats! Still trying to figure out what brand to go with. I had the weather tech's in my 17 but they always looked dirty even after cleaning.

Creamsicle

Reaction score
I second the pictures for the floor mats! Still trying to figure out what brand to go with. I had the weather tech's in my 17 but they always looked dirty even after cleaning.

Pictures of the mats below. I love 'em so far!

@nmajor18 Got my front windows tinted this morning - you read my mind! ;)

Attachments

• 2019-02-26 10.40.24.jpg
    2019-02-26 10.40.24.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 159
  • 2019-02-26 10.41.13.jpg
    2019-02-26 10.41.13.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 2019-02-26 10.41.20.jpg
    2019-02-26 10.41.20.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 2019-02-26 10.42.13.jpg
    2019-02-26 10.42.13.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 156

djwdjw

Reaction score
Pictures of the mats below. I love 'em so far!

Tuxmats look nice. I wonder how they will wear/look over time, they look so nice now. I have a set of Huskys that are unfortunately always covered in some crud somewhere, but I doubt I can ever wear through them. I'd try these next if they hold up.

Last edited:

JayMann

Reaction score
Is there anything sound level wise between the magnaflow and stock exhaust? I want a little more rumble but nothing TOO crazy - not that I wouldn't go with magnaflow , just curious.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience with MagnaFlow on a Raptor I once owned was...quieter/same as stock upon initial installation. Within a month, the packing within the muffler broke in, and it had that nice throaty sound I was hoping for.

Creamsicle

Reaction score
Is there anything sound level wise between the magnaflow and stock exhaust? I want a little more rumble but nothing TOO crazy - not that I wouldn't go with magnaflow , just curious.

Re-read the original post! A very thorough description is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online