5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Total loss of electrical power

ABNRAM

Reaction score
While I wait for an appointment at the dealer I thought I would take a shot and ask for some help/advice.
I have a 2021 Rebel and the other day as I was driving home the battery charge warning light came on and a few minutes later as I was parking in the driveway the inside lights and dash started to go haywire. I think I heard a pop and after that everything died. So right now I have zero electrical in my truck. Nothing, nada. Can’t even use my fob to lock the doors. Nothing lights up anywhere. Checked both fuse boxes to see if any fuses had blown but with no luck. Battery is fully charged according to my volt meter.
Anybody have any ideas of what to check besides the fuse boxes. Some of the fuses are harder to check (high capacity ones), so not so sure on them. Are there any other fuses I could check, like some in-line fuses somewhere? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the time!

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
While I wait for an appointment at the dealer I thought I would take a shot and ask for some help/advice.
I have a 2021 Rebel and the other day as I was driving home the battery charge warning light came on and a few minutes later as I was parking in the driveway the inside lights and dash started to go haywire. I think I heard a pop and after that everything died. So right now I have zero electrical in my truck. Nothing, nada. Can’t even use my fob to lock the doors. Nothing lights up anywhere. Checked both fuse boxes to see if any fuses had blown but with no luck.
Anybody have any ideas of what to check besides the fuse boxes. Some of the fuses are harder to check (high capacity ones), so not so sure on them. Are there any other fuses I could check, like some in-line fuses somewhere? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the time!
Why would a high amperage fuse be more difficult to check than any other fuse? Just so you know, all fuses are technically “in-line”.

ABNRAM

Reaction score
Why would a high amperage fuse be more difficult to check than any other fuse? Just so you know, all fuses are technically “in-line”.
Tracking, semantics. Was talking about other fuses that may not be in fuse box.
Not sure how to check the box type fuses that you can’t see through to see if they are blown.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Tracking, semantics. Was talking about other fuses that may not be in fuse box.
Not sure how to check the box type fuses that you can’t see through to see if they are blown.
I’m going to be 100% honest here (not trying to be aggressive, just saying my piece)- no self-respecting tech would check a fuse by sight. They would whip out their DVOM and at least check for voltage on both sides of the fuse. Every fuse is the same- it doesn’t matter if it’s 6v or 600v. They are closed/provide continuity under normal conditions, and when current is too high, they open/break. This is to protect the wiring. What I said applies to any electrical circuit, not just vehicles.

DonnieT0025

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me this morning in my 2022 Rebel. I am going to call the dealer tomorrow when they open. Did you get a solution ?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know these trucks have complicated systems, but the first thing I would check is the battery terminals and grounding points. Make sure everything ohms out and shows 12v respectively. also pull any odb codes that are stored.
Of course if you have warranty left, we’ll see what the dealer says

DonnieT0025

Reaction score
My truck came back yesterday. The dealer said a connector between the dash and engine had “separated” and they repaired it. Even without the warranty it would have only been $160 so it wasn’t too involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread