5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top Speed on WOT

Micko24

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wondering what your experiences are... I took my truck on a 2k mile trip last week and at one point I tested the max speed of the truck. I was on the freeway, no cars around for a long stretch... pushed the gas pedal to WOT... and my top speed max out at 105mph... pedal is floored, no mater what I do it won’t go pass 105mph. I turned off start/stop feature and it’s still the same... is there a safety feature that this trucks are programmed to? I’m baffled... it says I have up to 120mph max on the tachometer...

Micko24

Reaction score
Can that be disabled? is there a reason as to why fav would put that in?

Phiefer

Reaction score
Max speed in some cases is set at the rated mph of the tires. May be other cases as well.
Reflash is one way to change this.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually it is set based on tire ratings, that said pick ups don’t have the best handling characteristics at speeds over 100 mph so it is probably a safety thing as well.

Micko24

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I thought I had sport car speeds on these rams... guess not. Better be safe I guess. I wish if they ant a truck to go 105mph max they should put that in the speedometer... seems like another false advertisement to me :)

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I thought I had sport car speeds on these rams... guess not. Better be safe I guess. I wish if they ant a truck to go 105mph max they should put that in the speedometer... seems like another false advertisement to me :)

Yea must vehicles are limited less then what the speedo says.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sheesh... I would not want to be anywhere near you at 105mph on truck tires and something happens. Unless you rob banks for a living or drag race pickup trucks, why would you care if your speed is governed in a truck? Pay someone to flash your ECM if it bothers you that much. Have fun in the hospital, jail or grave... depending how that ends for you. ;)

S

Smashy71

Sheesh... I would not want to be anywhere near you at 105mph on truck tires and something happens. Unless you rob banks for a living or drag race pickup trucks, why would you care if your speed is governed in a truck? Pay someone to flash your ECM if it bothers you that much. Have fun in the hospital, jail or grave... depending how that ends for you. ;)
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
Can that be disabled? is there a reason as to why fav would put that in?

There's multiple reasons

One of them being tire speed limits

Then there's the drive shaft speed rating as well They don't typically leave much of a margin for error either, as an increase in speed creates an exponential increase in drivetrain stress.

You want to disable it and speed around be my guest just I would hope you upgrade your tires and drivetrain accordingly

detchargerfan

Reaction score
I "tested" the top speed of my Charger RT out in the Nevada desert. It is speed limited to approx 135, has a speedometer that goes to 140, and from what I'm told is capable of doing somewhere in the neighborhood of 155mph if I remember correctly.

I'm sure the same hemi can take this heavier truck past 105mph. Just keep in mind the tires, need some rated for higher speeds. Nothing more painful then a tire failure at 115mph. Also keep in mind the different aerodynamics of a truck compared to a sedan like a Charger as well as a higher center of gravity. While doing that speed in the Charger was fun, I'm not sure I would want to in a pickup.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Easy Vader buddy, friendly conversation about physical limits vs governed limits. All friends here!
An honest answer followed by a wink isn't usually worth an edit, is it? I thought we were all adults seeking the truth, no? Am I wrong, that taking a Ram above 105mph in stock form will get you to one of those ends?

My apologies to the community.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
An honest answer followed by a wink isn't usually worth an edit, is it? I thought we were all adults seeking the truth, no? Am I wrong, that taking a Ram above 105mph in stock form will get you to one of those ends?

My apologies to the community.
You’re good Vader, I should probably take a chill pill tonight just didn’t want the joke going sideways.

Micko24

Reaction score
Reason for the question was to gain understanding as to why it doesn’t go over 105, I was unaware of the governed limits... and the community has given me the answer, and it makes sense, I am not going to ride the truck as a speed demon, I just needed to find out as to why. So back off Vader ;) I’ll probably see you in my ER for some unrelated issues like IBS hehehe.

Users who are viewing this thread