5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Took Chunk Out of Sidewall - Safe to Drive?

nilsd

Reaction score
Took a chunk out of my sidewall cutting a corner short at speed on my Toyo Open Country AT3s. I assume this needs replacement and hoping it's covered under my MOPAR tire and wheel package. Thoughts on coverage and if it's safe to drive to a service center without throwing on the spare?
20230512_140901.jpg

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’d avoid any highways or freeways , it would probably be ok for back roads slowly .

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It will be fine to drive until you can get it replaced. Hopefully you get the wheels fixed as well

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What do you mean
hoping it's covered under my MOPAR tire and wheel package.
You bought something and doesn't even know or read what it does or not cover?

I hope it does for you but kind of silly to buy warranties and not know what gets covered.
It's safe to drive.

Lungs414

Reaction score
I had a screw in the sidewall and it was replaced no problem. They said it wasn't safe.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had a screw in the sidewall and it was replaced no problem. They said it wasn't safe.
That is NOT OK or safer to drive. Everyone knows that any damage to a sidewall, especially a nail or a screw cannot be adequately repaired and the tire MUST be replaced. Did you go to Joe Bob's Tire Center? Crazy that you had it fixed!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Took a chunk out of my sidewall cutting a corner short at speed on my Toyo Open Country AT3s. I assume this needs replacement and hoping it's covered under my MOPAR tire and wheel package. Thoughts on coverage and if it's safe to drive to a service center without throwing on the spare?
View attachment 158614
NO...that is NOT ok. Get it replaced at your earliest convenience. The tire is severely compromised.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That is NOT OK or safer to drive. Everyone knows that any damage to a sidewall, especially a nail or a screw cannot be adequately repaired and the tire MUST be replaced. Did you go to Joe Bob's Tire Center? Crazy that you had it fixed!
He said replaced, not repaired.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’ve driven tires with that type of damage before. Best to avoid driving it if you can, or put the spare on. It’s more susceptible to a side wall blow at like this.

Lungs414

Reaction score
Mopar road hazard replaced it. Was a pia but worth it. I went to my local good mechanic. The PIA part was due to getting it paid. They didn’t question that it should be replaced not repaired.

JBarry

Reaction score
What do you mean

You bought something and doesn't even know or read what it does or not cover?

I hope it does for you but kind of silly to buy warranties and not know what gets covered.
It's safe to drive.
I would not trust it. My friend learned the hard way when he drove his truck on the highway with a tire puncture like that. He's at the outer lane when it blows. Too bad it was supposed to be covered. He replaced the tires and kmc wheels and it drives better now.

Last edited:

Lungs414

Reaction score
View attachment 158614
Hey any update? Did you put in a claim/and if so did they replace it?

nilsd

Reaction score
Hey any update? Did you put in a claim/and if so did they replace it?
Brought it to my local dealer. They were hesitant because it wasn't a stock tire, but nothing in the policy stipulates it has to be, so they replaced it at no charge to me and will now put in the claim to get reimbursed. If I don't hear from them about it again it means it went through. Will circle back here if I do hear back

Lungs414

Reaction score
Brought it to my local dealer. They were hesitant because it wasn't a stock tire, but nothing in the policy stipulates it has to be, so they replaced it at no charge to me and will now put in the claim to get reimbursed. If I don't hear from them about it again it means it went through. Will circle back here if I do hear back
2 of mine were replaced, with no issues both Nitto terra grapplers, at my local mechanic. I had a problem with one Rep from the warranty side guy named Mike. He said I had to bring it to a dealer and promptly hung up which is not true. I called back while at the mechanics shop and got someone else who quickly completed the claim saying I was right and apologized for the other guy. I told him I appreciate it but was necessary for him to apologize for the other rep. My nearest dealer is terrible and I never go there, and wanted nothing to do with them. The warranty place pays the shop via their credit card. They gave the shop the money less taxes somehow getting a waver.
It is probably easier to go to a dealer but I didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread