5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
That's awesome, thanks for sharing the pdf. I was on a half-hour chat session with Bakflip a couple nights ago, and they assured me throughout the conversation that there weren't any fitment issues with the mft, also not with the rails that come with the bed utility group. They didn't provide me that pdf however. Thanks for that! Placing my order today for their F1 cover.
To confirm what you stated, this cover is supposed to fir with the black rails included in the bed utility group? Have a short bed with ramboxes and mft.

Thanks for the info.

Switch22

Reaction score
To confirm what you stated, this cover is supposed to fir with the black rails included in the bed utility group? Have a short bed with ramboxes and mft.

Thanks for the info.
No Ram Boxes on my truck. I would expect there wouldn't be any difference though. Best to just open a chat session with them and get confirmation. They've been a pretty agreeable bunch to work with on chat, pretty helpful. I'll know for sure once the cover arrives and I get it installed.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info.
Nononono. Black rails don't work with anything except the Mopar covers. If you look at the instructions it appears they are using silver rails
No Ram Boxes on my truck. I would expect there wouldn't be any difference though. Best to just open a chat session with them and get confirmation. They've been a pretty agreeable bunch to work with on chat, pretty helpful. I'll know for sure once the cover arrives and I get it installed.
This does matter.
Rambox trucks that come with the soft cover, get "black rails" which are completely different then the silver rails. There is no way to secure anything properly to the black rails and every single cover I found can NOT be used with black rails and you need to purchase silver rails and install weatherstippping as the black rails has it built in, but the silver rails have none.

Switch22

Reaction score
Nononono. Black rails don't work with anything except the Mopar covers. If you look at the instructions it appears they are using silver rails

This does matter.
Rambox trucks that come with the soft cover, get "black rails" which are completely different then the silver rails. There is no way to secure anything properly to the black rails and every single cover I found can NOT be used with black rails and you need to purchase silver rails and install weatherstippping as the black rails has it built in, but the silver rails have none.
Which covers are you referring to? The BakFlips that are made to work with MFT also work with the stock corner brackets. I was told there wasn't any fitment issue with this new top. Will know for sure once it arrives.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Which covers are you referring to? The BakFlips that are made to work with MFT also work with the stock corner brackets. I was told there wasn't any fitment issue with this new top. Will know for sure once it arrives.
There are no brackets on trucks with Ramboxes. It's a different style of bed.
That's why he was asking about his rails, but I bet he has black rails so the cover will not fit he needs to buy silver rails and install them to use the cover.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Here are pictures to my truck with Ramboxes and MFT.
It came with these black rails that had to be replaced with Silver rails like FirstRam2020 is talking about.
2022-05-08 12.08.45.jpg 2022-05-08 12.12.04.jpg

2022-05-07 14.17.18.jpg

Wtray

Reaction score
i don’t think that’s accurate
Please feel free to elaborate on other covers that work with the Black Rails. I have a BakFlip and silver rails and very happy that I didn't get the night edition that came with black rails and a cover. Love my RAM boxes, MFT, and smooth cover...

JoeI21

Reaction score
i need to get back to you on where i found that information so i can directly quote it. but in the mean time i found this on bakflips website:

NOTE: Before purchase please verify if you have New Body Style or Classic Body Style on 2019-2021 Ram 1500 - This part is for the New Body StyleNOTE:When ordering the RamBox part numbers, the RamBox rails need to be the OEM factory silver cargo rails, not black, to function properly with our coversNOTE: Will work WITH or WITHOUT Multifunction Tailgate

if that is the case and i can not find what i’m looking for i have no problem admitting fault. a lot of forum reading to keep track of but i’ll see if i can find it

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Please feel free to elaborate on other covers that work with the Black Rails. I have a BakFlip and silver rails and very happy that I didn't get the night edition that came with black rails and a cover. Love my RAM boxes, MFT, and smooth cover...
I didn't know my truck would come with "stupid" rails or else I would of tried to work a deal to swap the black rails for silver on pickup. I didn't even want the soft oem cover it came with. I have a hard retractable cover now (I wish I got another MX4 Bakflip tbh like I had on my last truck).
i need to get back to you on where i found that information so i can directly quote it. but in the mean time i found this on bakflips website:

NOTE: Before purchase please verify if you have New Body Style or Classic Body Style on 2019-2021 Ram 1500 - This part is for the New Body StyleNOTE:When ordering the RamBox part numbers, the RamBox rails need to be the OEM factory silver cargo rails, not black, to function properly with our coversNOTE: Will work WITH or WITHOUT Multifunction Tailgate

if that is the case and i can not find what i’m looking for i have no problem admitting fault. a lot of forum reading to keep track of but i’ll see if i can find it
Black rails legit can't fit anything. If you look at my picture above there is basically no way to secure a cover to it without a mounting system specific to that rail which wouldn't be worth it for a company to make. Generally rails use clips to go underneath\in to hold on but with the black rail there isn't really a way. The black rails them self are really nice and waterproof (the oem soft cover was 100% waterproof if you can believe it) but if you need a hard cover for snow or security you are SOL and need to buy silver rails.

Here is what I got mine from the (Jeep) dealership for and the part number, one is left side one is right. Use the existing screws from the Black rails and push clips (put the push clips in first, then you can put the screws in), and get some weatherstripping from a Home Depot type store and stick it just above the screw holes on the rails before you install it. I THINK I torqued the screws to 92 in/lbs but I am not sure if it matters that much.

Hope this helps

1666468831136.png

Switch22

Reaction score
Here are pictures to my truck with Ramboxes and MFT.
It came with these black rails that had to be replaced with Silver rails like FirstRam2020 is talking about.
View attachment 141855 View attachment 141857

View attachment 141856
I wasn't aware that the rail kit on RamBox equipped beds are so different from the standard bed. I don't have the RamBoxes, and my black rails are mounted much lower. Per the illustrations in the manual for the MFT F1 cover for standard beds, there should be quite an amount of clearance between the top's mounting rails, and the rail kit that came with mu BUG.

Switch22

Reaction score
There are no brackets on trucks with Ramboxes. It's a different style of bed.
That's why he was asking about his rails, but I bet he has black rails so the cover will not fit he needs to buy silver rails and install them to use the cover.
Fully aware that RamBox equipped beds do not have corner brackets. I saw one equipped that way (minus the rails) on the lot before I ordered my truck. I didn't choose the RamBox option and when my truck arrived, that was the first I had ever seen or heard of those brackets.

Lurts

Reaction score
My understanding is that trucks with Ramboxes and those without are in two different universes for tonneau covers.

MFT means nothing to those with Ramboxes. Rail color means nothing to those without Ramboxes.

At least in my understanding of the issues..

Switch22

Reaction score
My understanding is that trucks with Ramboxes and those without are in two different universes for tonneau covers.

MFT means nothing to those with Ramboxes. Rail color means nothing to those without Ramboxes.

At least in my understanding of the issues..
Agree, 100%

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You can get the black rails I have in a regular truck without Ramboxes. It's just that from the factory Limiteds with the night edition and BUG comes with the black rails. There is no reason for the black rails to exist.

They are fully interchangeable.
Can you show me a single "black rail" that is supported for using non-OEM covers? From my understanding there are only silver and black rails for Rams. For Jeep there is a black rail that is completely different, but it doesn't fit our trucks so I believe that any black rails will NOT work.

I sold my black rails to someone with a 2020 Ram 1500 without Ramboxes and it fit fine for them (they didn't plan on using a cover only got it for tie downs).

Lurts

Reaction score
You can get the black rails I have in a regular truck without Ramboxes. It's just that from the factory Limiteds with the night edition and BUG comes with the black rails. There is no reason for the black rails to exist.

They are fully interchangeable.
Can you show me a single "black rail" that is supported for using non-OEM covers? From my understanding there are only silver and black rails for Rams. For Jeep there is a black rail that is completely different, but it doesn't fit our trucks so I believe that any black rails will NOT work.

I sold my black rails to someone with a 2020 Ram 1500 without Ramboxes and it fit fine for them (they didn't plan on using a cover only got it for tie downs).
I have black rails and they are nothing like yours. They do not interfere with covers one bit. Glad they’re black, match my truck better.

Lurts

Reaction score
I had the bakflip Mx4 4 but switch to bakflip fiberglass F1 after getting hail damage to the cover.
I have mft without ram box and black rail. I didn’t change my rails just the brackets to right on and modified the bak rails. Similar to bak I added a L bracket to support from front of bed just because
No issues
Is the F1 better than the mx4 in all regards? Or just more durable but the mx4 is superior in other ways? Cost doesn’t seem too different between the two.

Wtray

Reaction score
I had the bakflip Mx4 4 but switch to bakflip fiberglass F1 after getting hail damage to the cover.
I have mft without ram box and black rail. I didn’t change my rails just the brackets to right on and modified the bak rails. Similar to bak I added a L bracket to support from front of bed just because
No issues
The Black and Silver rail discussion is for models with RAMBOX only as those with normal bedsides usually mount their cover to the top lip of the bed with clamps and slide in to the rails.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The Black and Silver rail discussion is for models with RAMBOX only as those with normal bedsides usually mount their cover to the top lip of the bed with clamps and slide in to the rails.
Correct, this is because the cargo rails are the only mount point that can be used unlike regular beds where you are not mounting to the rails so it doesn't matter what you have.

I was responding to this person who needs to buy new rails to use the cover they ordered since they have Ramboxes and MFT

Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread