5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tonneau covers that work with the multifunction tailgate?

jaydoc1975

Reaction score
Thats a pretty good price. When I ordered mine, it was $999.79 plus tax and free shipping. It has gone up to aprox $1110.88 now from Autoaccessoriesgarage.com. I think you have to call them to get a better price. Its back ordered, but should ship in a week or so. I’m anxious to see what they have done to make it work with the MFT and the original brackets.
I ordered my MX4 back in August when it wasn't backordered. Still waiting. I called customer service and they said that with the MFT is causing a slight amount of flex at the cab end of the bed it was destroying the original brackets they had designed. They are now trying to design a new bracket that will work with the flex in the bed. Just received an email saying there was another delay and expected ship date is Oct 21-26. I'm getting tired of waiting.

Thumbs5th

Reaction score
I ordered my MX4 back in August when it wasn't backordered. Still waiting. I called customer service and they said that with the MFT is causing a slight amount of flex at the cab end of the bed it was destroying the original brackets they had designed. They are now trying to design a new bracket that will work with the flex in the bed. Just received an email saying there was another delay and expected ship date is Oct 21-26. I'm getting tired of waiting.
That's good to know. Mine is *scheduled* to ship this week. It may have the first batch brackets though so I will follow-up with tech support when it arrives. Thanks for sharing that info.

Azsmc

Reaction score
They didnt reply with that much info when I asked what the delay was. I am getting tired of waiting also as I ordered in August as well. I have the Right-on brackets and could have used the regular MX4 however thought the new one designed for the MFT might be the way to go. I have a machine shop and can make/modify most anything. Maybe I should have ordered the regular MX4 and fitted it myself as I dont want to wait until the end of Oct.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm happy to report that my Diamondback arrived. I was able to get it installed by myself. So far all is good.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 68

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
None at all. The Diamondback works with the brackets just fine. In fact, the front lock rods use the bracket holes to lock unlike the tailgate side where the lock rods go underneath bed rail.

Switch22

Reaction score
None at all. The Diamondback works with the brackets just fine. In fact, the front lock rods use the bracket holes to lock unlike the tailgate side where the lock rods go underneath bed rail.
Interesting. I hadn't initially thought about it, since I've always been looking at "flush" mount covers. Sitting atop the bed I imagine the mounting mechanism is quite different. Good to know though. Thanks.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. I hadn't initially thought about it, since I've always been looking at "flush" mount covers. Sitting atop the bed I imagine the mounting mechanism is quite different. Good to know though. Thanks.
Yeah after investigating all the various covers that I could get with the MFT and 6'-4" bed, I decided on the Diamondback of a couple of reasons. While I wasn't wild about changing out the factory brackets, I was willing to consider it. I talked with a local installer in the Phoenix area about the potential for color fading in the Phoenix sun and he told me that he has seen some that have faded. The MX4 has a 5-yr warranty and I plan on keeping the truck for many years. In the end, the thing that sold me on the Diamondback HD was the lifetime warranty.

Fillet1

Reaction score
I installed the Retrax one this past weekend with the right on brackets. No issues. How have they modified it to work with the factory brackets? It seems that with the cross brace on the factory that there is no way the canister will position forward enough in the bed. Are they moving the canister back some and using a larger front plate? That would mean less bed room.

jaydoc1975

Reaction score
Just received and installed the Bakflip MX4 this weekend. No brackets or mods needed. Fairly simple install. have a couple small leaks that I need to fill, but overall pretty dry running it through the carwash.

zbaddwg

Reaction score
Just received and installed the Bakflip MX4 this weekend. No brackets or mods needed. Fairly simple install. have a couple small leaks that I need to fill, but overall pretty dry running it through the carwash.
How did Bakflip address the bracket issue? any pictures?

stronbl

Reaction score
I'm happy to report that my Diamondback arrived. I was able to get it installed by myself. So far all is good.
I have had a Diamondback for a year or so now. Love it. Very secure and very watertight. If you need a fully open bed, then Diamondback may not be for you. But I have to say their customer service and quality of product is outstanding.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had a Diamondback for a year or so now. Love it. Very secure and very watertight. If you need a fully open bed, then Diamondback may not be for you. But I have to say their customer service and quality of product is outstanding.
I agree. We had 2 good rainstorms here since I installed and can happily report that there was no water inside. I will say that there is dust inside after a dust storm, but from the pattern I can see on my bed mat, it appears it's coming through the middle of the tailgate (and underneath) and not around the cover. I'm very happy so far.

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
For the new version of the Bakflip mentioned, anyone using the black cargo rails? Looked on their website and they have options for the silver rails, but don't list it for the black rails.

The limited cover options with Rambox/MFT/black cargo rails continues to be less than ideal.

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
I was really looking at the Diamondback, but I continue to find myself taking the stock cover off completely to move things. Based on size with Ramboxes, not sure I could load an ATV on my short bed Ram if I had the Diamonback cover...without purchasing extenders. They look awesome though.

Still haven't decided. Any others you were considering before going with Diamondback?

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was really looking at the Diamondback, but I continue to find myself taking the stock cover off completely to move things. Based on size with Ramboxes, not sure I could load an ATV on my short bed Ram if I had the Diamonback cover...without purchasing extenders. They look awesome though.

Still haven't decided. Any others you were considering before going with Diamondback?

You don't really need to take it off, you can load the ATV on top of the Diamondback.

jaydoc1975

Reaction score
How did Bakflip address the bracket issue? any pictures?
They created a bracket that attaches to the L bracket in the corner of the bed. You have a bolt that comes down through the top of the bed cover and goes through the new bracket they created. Not sure I can get a pic since the drain bracket covers it up. I just wasn't comfortable taking factory brackets off the bed so this was my best option.

zbaddwg

Reaction score
They created a bracket that attaches to the L bracket in the corner of the bed. You have a bolt that comes down through the top of the bed cover and goes through the new bracket they created. Not sure I can get a pic since the drain bracket covers it up. I just wasn't comfortable taking factory brackets off the bed so this was my best option.
I reached to bakflip for the install instructions. it looks like the solved the problem and I ordered this morning

Attachments

• BAKFlip+Ram+MFTG+HFC+318S0031+5.6.2022.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 76

Switch22

Reaction score
I reached to bakflip for the install instructions. it looks like the solved the problem and I ordered this morning
That's awesome, thanks for sharing the pdf. I was on a half-hour chat session with Bakflip a couple nights ago, and they assured me throughout the conversation that there weren't any fitment issues with the mft, also not with the rails that come with the bed utility group. They didn't provide me that pdf however. Thanks for that! Placing my order today for their F1 cover.

Users who are viewing this thread