5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Covers - Leer HF650M vs Lomax Hard Tri-fold vs UnderCover Armor Flex

fireberd350

Reaction score
If you intend to keep this a long time I recommend considering availability of maintenance parts. My RAM has a Extang Encore that started it's life on an F150 10yrs ago and has since been on 2 RAMs including my 2020. It's leaking a little bit at the hinge points but I was able to get replacement rubber seals from etrailer.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Got the cover installed and the cover itself is really well made. Took about a half an hour even with the "help" of the 7 year old. My single complaint is the overall fitment from tailgate to bulkhead. I really feel like the cover should be about 3/4-1" longer.

installed the way the leer video and instructions say, the cover was short enough that it didn’t touch the tailgate and so I could actually get my fingers between the cover and tailgate with no problem at all. I loosened the rails and slid the cover back. Now it just hits the tailgate though I can pull up slightly and get finger tips slightly under. There two sets of weather seals at the front to cover the bulkhead. Moving the cover back forced the inner seal off the bulkhead leaving just the outer seal covering it.

Last edited:

ProKubinator

Reaction score
I have the leer HF350M. This one sits on top of the rails instead of a flush mount (HF650M). I believe this helps it be water tight over an inside the rails flush mount style. However, any cover is going to let some water in near corners/tailgate/etc. More often than not its things like the tailgate or side "stake holes" letting in water, not the cover. The leer is clean looking and well built. I would buy it again. I felt many reviews on the BAK / Amazon multi-branded style covers were all complaining of leaks and tears where it folds. This one is obviously made by leer and not re-branded from another manufacture. Leer has been making truck covers for many years which is another reason I went with the HF350M. I have no complaints other than Fedex damaged my cover (not my first issue with them) and I had to deal with the headache of that. Everything with the actual cover is great and I'd buy the same one again.

MARTY

Reaction score
Just installed a Undercover Armor flex.Very nice looking cover lots of compliments on it. Took it thru car wash did have a small leak. With that kind of water pressure something has to give. Now time will tell if it holds up.

JCK_25

Reaction score
I'm similarly trying to decide between the Leer (HF650M), Gator (FX3), & Armorflex. Two of the three have channels along the rail to direct water out the front of the bed. My question is, if you have a level on the truck (in my instance the RC Loaded Struts) would the water still channel out the front OR if truly level, wouldn't it just sit in the channel?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ProKubinator

Reaction score
I'm similarly trying to decide between the Leer (HF650M), Gator (FX3), & Armorflex. Two of the three have channels along the rail to direct water out the front of the bed. My question is, if you have a level on the truck (in my instance the RC Loaded Struts) would the water still channel out the front OR if truly level, wouldn't it just sit in the channel?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
look at my post above. exactly why I went with the Leer HF350m

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
How are you liking your Leer tonneau so far? I'm looking at the HF650.
The cover itself is great and very well made. I still believe there is a general fitment issue overall though. I have it positioned where everything is covered/sealed and functions properly but I think it should have been manufactured like 3/4" or so longer. I've been communicating with Leer directly but they are painfully slow in their response times.

The first photo shows the cover after repositioning.

The second photo shows installed per instructions (side rails push fully forward against the bulklhead) and a gap is left between the back lip of the cover and the front lip of the tailgate. The gap is large enough to get your fingers into.

Attachments

• IMG_5048.JPG
    IMG_5048.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5038.JPG
    IMG_5038.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 96

chris288

Reaction score
I have the leer 350 and couldn't be happier, sits lower than a true top mount and not as flat as the 650. its goes on in a snap and the latches work fantastic. highly recommend it..

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cover itself is great and very well made. I still believe there is a general fitment issue overall though. I have it positioned where everything is covered/sealed and functions properly but I think it should have been manufactured like 3/4" or so longer. I've been communicating with Leer directly but they are painfully slow in their response times.

The second photo shows installed per instructions (side rails push fully forward against the bulklhead) and a gap is left between the back lip of the cover and the front lip of the tailgate. The gap is large enough to get your fingers into.
Interesting 🤔. I just ordered my 650 last night through @Accessory.Parts (thanks Andrew). Once I receive it and install I will see how the fitment is and report back.

Last edited:

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Well after reading a few more reviews of fitment issues with the 650 I decided to change my order to the 350.
Another shout out to Andrew @Accessory.Parts for the great customer service

jsoric27

Reaction score
How do you like the Leer now that you've had it on for a bit? I'm debating between the Leer HF650 and Lomax myself...

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
How do you like the Leer now that you've had it on for a bit? I'm debating between the Leer HF650 and Lomax myself...
It's a well made cover for sure. Very low profile so it looks great on the truck. The functionality is great as well. It took some playing with the side rails to sort out fitment issues that I believe would be eliminated if it were manufactured just a bit longer.

I just emailed LEER again since it's been a month since I sent them all the info/photos they requested on the fitment. I'm not expecting an actual resolution at this point but it would at least be nice to hear what they say. I'm sure it will be deemed an installation error on my part and it was manufactured correctly.

Phippy

Reaction score
It's a well made cover for sure. Very low profile so it looks great on the truck. The functionality is great as well. It took some playing with the side rails to sort out fitment issues that I believe would be eliminated if it were manufactured just a bit longer.

I just emailed LEER again since it's been a month since I sent them all the info/photos they requested on the fitment. I'm not expecting an actual resolution at this point but it would at least be nice to hear what they say. I'm sure it will be deemed an installation error on my part and it was manufactured correctly.
Curious if you have sprayed/ drop in liner. I'm not feeling confident with Leer regarding a warranty issues after reading your post on fitment. Can you post a pic where the rails sit flush up front. Looks like its a good inch short as the cover should just sit on the inside edge of the tailgate.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Factory sprayed liner.

IMG 5038 shows where the cover sits when the side rails are installed completely against the bulkhead.

IMG 5026 shows where the cover sits when I re-position the side rails so the cover actually hits the tailgate and IMG 5030 shows how the cover sits on the bulkhead in re-positioned.

Everything is covered after being re-positioned but it goes against the installation instructions and all the installation videos I've seen.... even LEER's own. There is a dual weather strip design on the bulkhead lip of the cover. So when the side rails are up against the bulkhead, the interior weather strip fully seals against the inside of the bulkhead (IMG 5042) while the exterior weather strip covers the top of the bulkhead. When you pull the side rails back, that interior strip no longer sits flush across the bulkhead (IMG 5036) but the exterior still covers the top of the bulkhead.

Attachments

• IMG_5038.JPG
    IMG_5038.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5026.JPG
    IMG_5026.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5030.JPG
    IMG_5030.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5036.JPG
    IMG_5036.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5043.JPG
    IMG_5043.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_5048.JPG
    IMG_5048.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 57

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Factory sprayed liner.

IMG 5038 shows where the cover sits when the side rails are installed completely against the bulkhead.

IMG 5026 shows where the cover sits when I re-position the side rails so the cover actually hits the tailgate and IMG 5030 shows how the cover sits on the bulkhead in re-positioned.

Everything is covered after being re-positioned but it goes against the installation instructions and all the installation videos I've seen.... even LEER's own. There is a dual weather strip design on the bulkhead lip of the cover. So when the side rails are up against the bulkhead, the interior weather strip fully seals against the inside of the bulkhead (IMG 5042) while the exterior weather strip covers the top of the bulkhead. When you pull the side rails back, that interior strip no longer sits flush across the bulkhead (IMG 5036) but the exterior still covers the top of the bulkhead.
Just curious but did you double check the part number when it arrived to make sure they sent you the correct tonneau? Mistakes happen, possible you got a Ford or Chevy cover 🤷

Users who are viewing this thread