5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover (truck newbie)

Beatle9999

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2020 Laramie with a 5’7 bed. I have the utility rails installed. I’m looking for a good tonneau cover that will fit with the rails installed. Any suggestions on what will fit? Has anyone installed a cover on a 2020? I’m familiar with different styles as I’ve done a little bit of research but I’m not sure if they are compatible with the rails.

Attachments

• 2572A806-A163-4860-8C38-4960A655A5D8.jpeg
    2572A806-A163-4860-8C38-4960A655A5D8.jpeg
    134.2 KB · Views: 206

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
do you want an above the bed cover or in the bed? My above the bed Extang Solid Fold 2.0 came in today, will install tomorrow. I knew i wouldnt have any issues with above the bed. Another thing to consider is since you have the split tail gate those braces in the corners of the cabs will affect fitment of of the in the bed tonneaus. Youll have less fitment issues with above the bed, its just not as low profile looking

raven_DT

Reaction score
I went with a Tyger Auto tri-fold. It fits okay and is largely water resistant. Not sure how long I will keep my 1500 (2500/3500 in future...maybe) so I just wanted something that was a cost effective solution that provided water resistant properties. Success

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I have a Rough Country folding solid tonneau. It's square, so it doesn't look real slick if you look closely. Goes on and off really easy. It literally took longer to cut up the box to shove it in the bin than it did to install. The latches hit the rails. They'd probably stay locked anyway. I didn't want to risk it so I sawed an inch or so off each handle so they'd clear the rails. Zero problems opening and closing it and having it stay put on a week-long camping trip.

RJS

Reaction score
My 19 Laramie has the rails and the Tonnopro Hardfold tonneau fits just fine.
tonnopro.jpg

flynfish

Reaction score
As other have said, you have the split tailgate like I do. The brackets in the front eliminate almost all options at the moment.

There is another thread with discussion about it. Someone has a gator hybrid and it fits. Another person replaced the brackets with countertop brackets and installed a paragon cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LouCap

Reaction score
As other have said, you have the split tailgate like I do. The brackets in the front eliminate almost all options at the moment.

There is another thread with discussion about it. Someone has a gator hybrid and it fits. Another person replaced the brackets with countertop brackets and installed a paragon cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm the guy with the Gator Hybrid, and it's been flawless. 20190828_191033.jpg 20190828_190314.jpg

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Simone needs to come out with a solution sooner rather than later. The low profile covers look significantly better than the ones that sit on top.

inwould imagine they could just make a rail with the bracket at the end, would make the cover stronger too.

BadAspSVT

Reaction score
I just ordered the Extang Xceed Hard Tri-Fold yesterday. I will post pics when installed this week. Extang Xceed EDIT: just realized it won't fit with the BUG - back to the drawing board!

Last edited:

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
yea updating this thread, i had to remove the MOPAR bed divider to put in my extang solid fold 2.0. I wasnt really fond of the bed divider anyways since it narrowed the bed and it was kinda clunky so gonna sell it off probably. The rail with tie down points are still there

Adrianp89

Reaction score
@LouCap Do you work at HSN? I was at Dayton Andrews today and they were telling me about someone and it sounded exactly like your truck lol.

LouCap

Reaction score
@LouCap Do you work at HSN? I was at Dayton Andrews today and they were telling me about someone and it sounded exactly like your truck lol.
Yep, that's me. You must've been talking to Steve or Stephen. Great guys over there!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

LouCap

Reaction score
They told me this cover will not work because of the brackets did you modify anything?
Who told you that? It fits perfectly. The only thing I had to do was cut a little plastic around the top rails, but you'd have to do that with any top you mounted. The clamps in the front clear the brackets with no problem. Whoever told you that has no idea what they're talking about. I have the truck, it has the cover on it, and it works fine.

76cards

Reaction score
Who told you that? It fits perfectly. The only thing I had to do was cut a little plastic around the top rails, but you'd have to do that with any top you mounted. The clamps in the front clear the brackets with no problem. Whoever told you that has no idea what they're talking about. I have the truck, it has the cover on it, and it works fine.

The company told me that, ill call them on monday again thank you. I appreciate your help

Beatle9999

Reaction score
AAD81E98-DADD-4FA8-95DD-DD1E68B09BE6.jpeg Removed the brackets, I’ll add the thin metal countertop brackets later.

Ranger482

Reaction score
19 Laramie. Bakflip MX4 fits fine with the rails.

Attachments

• IMG_9618.jpg
    IMG_9618.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_9622.jpg
    IMG_9622.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_9623.jpg
    IMG_9623.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 109

junior9

Reaction score
Few months ago, I've purchased Gator ETX Soft Tri-Fold, and it's awesome in any weather, no matter would it be highly hot, or would it be winter cold. I found this article about tri-folds ( here: https://truckcoverexpert.com/best-tri-fold-tonneau-covers/ ), and it has a great top of different covers, explaining every pro and con about each model.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread