5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau cover suggestions

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They have, just 2 days ago, given me a quote for an extang encore. They seem to be the cheapest, but the shipping time frame is a bit of concern.

What happened?
They also gave me the cheapest quote, by about $100. However, it took nearly a month for me to get the cover. It wasn't worth saving $100.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brother you will not be disappointed with the mx4 I can’t believe this thing has been 99.5% water tight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 81

captainzombie

Reaction score
Brother you will not be disappointed with the mx4 I can’t believe this thing has been 99.5% water tight

Did you also install the bulk head seal on yours? I know the instructions say you don’t have to when you have the factory installed bedliner.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes. I put the seal. I had the same cover on my 2020 Silverado installed the same way but it leaked from three of the four corners. Just a better fit on the ram. I also put bakbox2 in but that wouldn’t effect water coming in

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I think the paragon looks like a great cover, how can you go wrong with 100 trial! It wouldn't work for my application but once I completely retire and don't have to carry a bed full of tools I think I will try one.
Tom

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think the paragon looks like a great cover, how can you go wrong with 100 trial! It wouldn't work for my application but once I completely retire and don't have to carry a bed full of tools I think I will try one.
Tom
My neighbor has one and loves it. Very good quality and design. I would strongly consider one next go around versus spending $1600 on another Retrax.

captainzombie

Reaction score
Yes. I put the seal. I had the same cover on my 2020 Silverado installed the same way but it leaked from three of the four corners. Just a better fit on the ram. I also put bakbox2 in but that wouldn’t effect water coming in
It's a really nice cover and the updates that they did to it makes it a good buy. I probably won't go back and install the bulkhead seal then since you say it didn't help much. It's odd that the instructions say you don't have to install it if you have a factory bedliner.

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the directions say you don’t have to install with a drop in bedliner. You should definitely install it over sprayed in bedliner

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Gator cover I was waiting on updated with an even longer delivery time so I canceled it. I ended up buying a Bakflip MX4 instead. I picked it up at Summit Racing Equipment yesterday (I'm within driving distance), and installed it this morning.

Install was pretty straight forward although it did take about an hour, but maybe that's because I wasn't in a hurry. I took my time and made sure everything was evenly spaced (including the clamps). That hour also included clean up where I broke down the shipping materials for recycling.

Definitely DON'T pay dealership rates to have one installed. Anyone can do it, even without any mechanical aptitude at all.

captainzombie

Reaction score
the directions say you don’t have to install with a drop in bedliner. You should definitely install it over sprayed in bedliner
Thanks for the heads up Sal. I will install it on mine then this weekend when I get back from my trip.

jefferyrw

Reaction score
Just an update on this.
I got an email on my order status yesterday (still about 2 weeks out), and the manufacturer of my pending Gator cover is Bak Industries. Yes, one in the same. So it's the same cover with a different label for a cheaper price. I guess this would be like Chevrolet/GM, or Ford/Mercury. Made by the same people with the a different logo for a lower price.

I was going to order the Bakflip MX4 because it would ship the same day, but I decided to be patient and save $200 for 2 weeks delivery. After all, I wouldn't have selected expedited shipping for $200 if I was ordering the cover with various shipping options.
I just got off of the phone with RealTrucks (BakFlip parent company)...The Gator FX3 is made by BakFlip but is not identical to the MX4. The BakFlip MX4 his aluminum while the Gator FX3 is a composite polymer product. Also the Gator has a 2 year warrantee and the BakFlip has a 5 year warrantee.

I will be ordering the MX4 later today but the FX3 seems to be an excellent product as well. If you order by phone, RealTruck offers a discount for active duty military and military veterans. The guy in product support did not know how much the discount is but the discount for my BedRug was 10%.

Edit: Just completed my MX4 order and received a 10% military vet discount and their standard free shipping. 3 - 4 weeks out.

Last edited:

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed my BakFlip MX4 at lunch today. Hopefully, I got it on correctly. Will find out later when I drive it.

I did notice that when folded, the only place it bumps the cab appears to be on the sliding rear window. Should I be concerned? Should I cut and move the stick-on "bumper" to each side of the sliding window?

jefferyrw

Reaction score
I installed my BakFlip MX4 at lunch today. Hopefully, I got it on correctly. Will find out later when I drive it.

I did notice that when folded, the only place it bumps the cab appears to be on the sliding rear window. Should I be concerned? Should I cut and move the stick-on "bumper" to each side of the sliding window?
The bumper material should not hit any part of the window. It should only hit the back of the cab as I understand the installation instructions.

jefferyrw

Reaction score
I think it would hit the brake light if it didn't hit the window. I will add a picture of it folded shortly.
I don't have the MX4 nor my truck yet so have not done an installation. All of my information comes from reading the installation manual, watching the BakFlip installation video plus watching a couple of other videos on uTube.

I am interested in how your installation went for a real world reference.

2021REBEL

Reaction score
I’ve decided to go with the truck hero undercover ultra-flex instead.

I made this decision over the bakflip MX4 because i have heard from many people that the actual panels on the MX4 fill up with water and cause issues. The ultra-flex stands upright without leaning against the back window and had integrated led lights to add onto the lighting in the bed. Getting it for the same price as the MX4 from the shop I’m going with.

Hope my insight can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have the MX4 nor my truck yet so have not done an installation. All of my information comes from reading the installation manual, watching the BakFlip installation video plus watching a couple of other videos on uTube.

I am interested in how your installation went for a real world reference.
Correction on what I stated. Its not actually hitting the sliding window but the solid piece of glass above it. Here I am in the open position. Roof for the light and rear view mirror camera. 20210721_182218.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread