5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Cover Replacement (recommendations needed)

RyanP

Reaction score
I am looking for a hard bed cover to replace my soft Tonneau Cover on my 2020 Ram 1500 with a 5'7" bed. I am planning on doing some serious cross-country driving over the summer and want to avoid having to unload the bed every night to prevent theft. I would prefer an option that folds and locks. However, I am open to suggestions. Thanks for the help.

alpha_brit

Reaction score
Following - have a Roll n' Lock on my old 1500 but would prefer something sleeker for the new one (the RnL took up too much bedspace/volume when it's already at a premium for road trips).

Maple

Reaction score
I have an Undercover Ridgelander - if you're planning on also hauling stuff on top, or just having the option, it works great - I bought a trailer, but before that hauled kayaks (and paddles), still haul bikes and fishing poles. Also have a cargo rack but haven't used it yet.

jimbotron

Reaction score
I have an UnderCover ArmorFlex on mine. Easily removable in case I need to take it off. Was a bit expensive but looks really nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20200727_174025.jpg
    IMG_20200727_174025.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 72

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
I have a Bakflip MX4 installed on mine, which works well to keep the critters out when camping. It isn't lockable, but thieves aren't really going to invest any time and risk making noise unless they know there's a prize under the cover.

Evanardell

Reaction score
Bakflip G2 here. Hard panels that lock with the tailgate. Been bulletproof so far. 20210502_195459.jpg

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I went through the decision process for quit a while driving with a "temporary" Extang Black Max. I was pretty well informed of the various models and pros and cons.
I finally decided on a DiamondBack HD, it opens from the front and back and is secured with 4 bolts. It doesn't flip but each cover can be removed and the center taken off via the 4 bolts.
I consider it the most secure. The company is great to deal with. It is not cheap but either are the tools I am protecting from theft.
I am a long term owner (still have my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500) and do not see a future need to replace this cover, another advantage.

dandar

Reaction score
2nd for the MX4. You lock the tailgate and the MX4 is locked with it. It's not very secure though. You can pop it open with a bent wire if you slide it between cover and the tailgate. If you want truly secure you probably need one that is locable with a key.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a fan of the Retrax XR. I had one on my Laramie (5’7” bed), and have one on order for my Longhorn (6’4” bed). Definitely not cheap, though.

If the ability to use a rack with the t-slots wasn’t important to me, I’d give serious consideration to Peragon. It doesn’t block the rear window like a flip, but is easily removable, unlike a roll too like Retrax.

EGR Rolltrac looks very intriguing. It’s an electric retractable cover that locks and unlocks with the truck. But they don’t yet make one for the Ram, and it’d surely be expensive if they did. But the videos at the link above sure make it look cool.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a retrax. It’s low profile. Works and looks great

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
2nd for the MX4. You lock the tailgate and the MX4 is locked with it. It's not very secure though. You can pop it open with a bent wire if you slide it between cover and the tailgate. If you want truly secure you probably need one that is locable with a key.
Not good for security but good if your tailgate will not open as some have experienced.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
One more note about the Retrax (and likely other covers from Truck Hero, parent company of a gazillion brands including BAK, Roll-n-Lock, Extang, etc.): I recently learned that they have minimum advertised price (MAP) policies, so you won't often see discounts. However, with a little work, you can get a discount.

I got $270 off my RetraxPro XR (about 13%), but since I ordered, I heard you might be able to get 20% off (that would have saved me nearly $400). So, first just ask for the discount via chat or phone. You might get it. If not, find a site that will give a discounted quote via email. Then, either order from them, or request a price match from your preferred retailer. That's what I did to get the $270 discount, but it seems you can do better, so first just ask for a discount.

Still pricey, but this makes it a little less so.

Grimey

Reaction score
I have the lomax cover on mine and it has been great. No leaks and ultra low profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O Captain My Captian

Reaction score
One more note about the Retrax (and likely other covers from Truck Hero, parent company of a gazillion brands including BAK, Roll-n-Lock, Extang, etc.): I recently learned that they have minimum advertised price (MAP) policies, so you won't often see discounts. However, with a little work, you can get a discount.

I got $270 off my RetraxPro XR (about 13%), but since I ordered, I heard you might be able to get 20% off (that would have saved me nearly $400). So, first just ask for the discount via chat or phone. You might get it. If not, find a site that will give a discounted quote via email. Then, either order from them, or request a price match from your preferred retailer. That's what I did to get the $270 discount, but it seems you can do better, so first just ask for a discount.

Still pricey, but this makes it a little less so.
I pushed for discount and got 10% off for the RetraxPro. Realtruck.com

Wilmadickert

Reaction score
I am looking for a hard bed cover to replace my soft Tonneau Cover on my 2020 Ram 1500 with a 5'7" bed. I am planning on doing some serious cross-country driving over the summer and want to avoid having to unload the bed every night to prevent theft. I would prefer an option that folds and locks. However, I am open to suggestions. Thanks for the help.
I just installed the Retrax XR on my 2021 1500. I really like mine and it locks and keeps the bed dry.

Attachments

• 20210623_160638.jpg
    20210623_160638.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread