5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonneau Bed Cover for Ram Box

RTS001

Reaction score
I’m sure it’s been asked, I did a search found a lot about multifunction tailgate. But nothing about this. Which hard- retractable or folding -bed covers work with the ram boxes???

I just bought a RetraxPRO and then happen to read about it leaking around the ram boxes as well only allowing 75% usage of the boxes themselves. For me spending the money to get the ram boxes and then $2000 on a bed cover I shouldn’t have either issue for that kind of money.
(I know they all leak by the tailgate - that’s not what I’m talking about)

OkDee

Reaction score
I have the multifunction tailgate and Ram boxes, so I went with the BAKFlip F1 Folding Bed cover installed. Works for me. Gaps on the tailgate, kinda not real pleased after the fact, but highly doable.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I’m sure it’s been asked, I did a search found a lot about multifunction tailgate. But nothing about this. Which hard- retractable or folding -bed covers work with the ram boxes???

I just bought a RetraxPRO and then happen to read about it leaking around the ram boxes as well only allowing 75% usage of the boxes themselves. For me spending the money to get the ram boxes and then $2000 on a bed cover I shouldn’t have either issue for that kind of money.
(I know they all leak by the tailgate - that’s not what I’m talking about)
Question is do you want a retractable cover that has a canister taking up part of the bed space below it or do you want a hard/soft flip cover that takes up no space below it?

Bakflip or Undercover are 2 of the most chosen ones for hard flip top that gives the most usable space.

I believe most cover types will work with the ramboxes.

bebrown1075

Reaction score
I have an Undercover Armor Flex. I started out with a Bakflip MX4 and after 4 sets of rails that didn't work with the silver BUG rails Truck Hero replaced it with an Undercover. The rails sandwich between the silver BUG rails and box side. The MX4 rail has to slide in to the silver BUG rail.. If the bakflip rail is off just a little bit it will not work.

Attachments

• 20210829_171244.jpg
    20210829_171244.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 85

WPOD

Reaction score
I have an Extang Solid Fold 2.0 on my 2021 with Ramboxes and a multi-function tailgate. It is a great fit and works well. Easy to remove and re-install.

Yangster

Reaction score
I installed the Truckcovers USA retractable with matte finish. The retractable canister is the smallest at 8x8". It's one of the more expensive covers, but it looks and works great.

Attachments

• tonneau 2.jpg
    tonneau 2.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Tonneau1.jpg
    Tonneau1.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 95

RTS001

Reaction score
I installed the Truckcovers USA retractable with matte finish. The retractable canister is the smallest at 8x8". It's one of the more expensive covers, but it looks and works great.
I assume this requires the silver rails? Also by the tailgate I notice you have some sort of rubber between the tailgate and where it closes? Is this something they supplied? I always wondered how to fill that gap. On all the covers I see that is not filled in!

bebrown1075

Reaction score
I assume this requires the silver rails? Also by the tailgate I notice you have some sort of rubber between the tailgate and where it closes? Is this something they supplied? I always wondered how to fill that gap. On all the covers I see that is not filled in!
I bought extra weatherstripping for the area that goes between the tailgate and Rambox. The stuff that came with my cover was pretty thin.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have both the ramboxes and the mft. I installed the retrax on mine, fits and works great.

RTS001

Reaction score
Question is do you want a retractable cover that has a canister taking up part of the bed space below it or do you want a hard/soft flip cover that takes up no space below it?

Bakflip or Undercover are 2 of the most chosen ones for hard flip top that gives the most usable space.

I believe most cover types will work with the ramboxes.
I have had two bakflip products and had no issues. But as I understand I need to buy the silver rails because mine came with the black rails. Which isn’t much of an issue, just sucks to have to purchase another part to install the bed covers. Any issues with ram boxes on the bakflips?

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I have had two bakflip products and had no issues. But as I understand I need to buy the silver rails because mine came with the black rails. Which isn’t much of an issue, just sucks to have to purchase another part to install the bed covers. Any issues with ram boxes on the bakflips?
My understanding is that (and I don’t have ramboxes) the silver rails are the ones that give most people issues with covers. From what I can remember is the silver rails got in the way of the clamps and cover rails. In looking at websites for covers they always ask if it’s a ram box with silver rails and I believe that’s because it was modified from the original design. I might have misread that from other posts but that’s what I recall.

I‘d suggest calling one of the companies and asking them before changing rails.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My understanding is that (and I don’t have ramboxes) the silver rails are the ones that give most people issues with covers. From what I can remember is the silver rails got in the way of the clamps and cover rails. In looking at websites for covers they always ask if it’s a ram box with silver rails and I believe that’s because it was modified from the original design. I might have misread that from other posts but that’s what I recall.

I‘d suggest calling one of the companies and asking them before changing rails.
I had the black rails and needed to get the silver rails to mount the retrax on my truck. The silver rails have a slot in the top that some covers use to mount to.

Last edited:

Yangster

Reaction score

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I love my Diamondback cover. Secure and reasonably waterproof.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
same i got this cover to allow weight on top also and its same as these pricey covers that break and leak and malfunction

fishmoss

Reaction score
I have searched this and can not find it for the limited 2021 Ram, split tailgate, w/ram-boxes. has it been discontinued? Want this, and have been searching for a long time... any help appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread