5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today I realized my GPS is useless

cliffsta

Reaction score
I'm 50/50 between factory UC5 and Google Maps.... factory nav is nice because the map and turn-by-turn show up in the digital gauge cluster on my 2023. Though the maps of course are never as updated as Google. As someone else pointed out, using Apple maps is a nice compromise because you still get turn-by-turn in the gauge cluster even though you don't get the full map.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I notice that "Navigation" is still an option people can actually pay for. Kind of strange to pay for an inferior downgrade. I guess if you still rock a flip phone, it would be needed...

2001gw

Reaction score
Okay, thanks to all that have responded to my original post and question.
I'm an old guy (78). I want to use that big 12" screen that I paid almost 70 grand for. So, I need to subscribe to "U Connect Gaurdian" in order to use the RAM GPS? Am I correct?

Thanks. (y)

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm an old guy (78). I want to use that big 12" screen that I paid almost 70 grand for. So, I need to subscribe to "U Connect Gaurdian" in order to use the RAM GPS? Am I correct?

Thanks. (y)
No. Instead of searching for an address in the search bar, you need to use the “where to”.
IMG_0717.jpeg

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Or, with Android Auto up and running, tap the microphone on that big screen or press the talk button on your steering wheel and ask it. "Find Lin Lin Massage, Conway Arkansas" and the Google machine will do it's magic.

Ha! How many of you looked that one up? 🤣

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Or, with Android Auto up and running, tap the microphone on that big screen or press the talk button on your steering wheel and ask it. "Find Lin Lin Massage, Conway Arkansas" and the Google machine will do it's magic.

Ha! How many of you looked that one up? 🤣

One of my favorite things about Google maps, I could just say "Walmart on Broadway" and it will do its thing.

Whereas the factory nav you actually need to know the freaking address or at least correct spelling of the business name.

Idahoktm

Reaction score

Thanks. (y)

Ram Connect Navigation Package. I just renewed mine for $50.

2001gw

Reaction score
Can you direct me to the "Ram Connect Navigation Package". I just renewed mine for $50."? Thanks.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Can you direct me to the "Ram Connect Navigation Package". I just renewed mine for $50."? Thanks.

Ram Connect sent me the offer via email. It expired on June 3rd. Give them a call and see if they will give you the same deal.

Screenshot_20240526_125750_Gmail.jpg

PetePA

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question - can you play music using Android Auto and be in fullscreen factory navigation?

I have a SiriusXM subscription for another car and can stream the music using android auto, but want to use the factory navigation while listening.

disarm

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question - can you play music using Android Auto and be in fullscreen factory navigation?

I have a SiriusXM subscription for another car and can stream the music using android auto, but want to use the factory navigation while listening.

Yes...an Android Auto music source will continue to play in the background of anything else you do on the screen until you choose a different audio source (FM/AM/XM etc)

boogielander

Reaction score
I use Onx for that.

View attachment 185769
Doesn’t give me road directions though, only off-road.😆
how you liking OnX?
I've been on Gaia since 2017 and I'm considering switching after my prepaid sub runs out...
I don't use it with carplay, but I use it on an ipad mini. The direction-of-travel-up doesn't work on the mini 6 for some reason and i'm having a hard time getting used to that.

to OP:
use carplay with Gmap or apple map. I only use the OE navi for when I'm so out of cell range that I got no signal lol

Dewey

Reaction score
how you liking OnX?
I've been on Gaia since 2017 and I'm considering switching after my prepaid sub runs out...
I don't use it with carplay, but I use it on an ipad mini. The direction-of-travel-up doesn't work on the mini 6 for some reason and i'm having a hard time getting used to that.

to OP:
use carplay with Gmap or apple map. I only use the OE navi for when I'm so out of cell range that I got no signal lol
Onx is great. I only use the hunting version along with Spartan Forge. They’ve replaced my handheld GPS. Bonus is it works on Apple CarPlay in my truck to which is nice when driving around and scouting from the roads or checking out new areas to see property lines.

I see Onx also has an OffRoad version which is likely what you’re speaking of. I don’t have any experience with that specific app but I’m sure it’s good.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Since I now have an iPhone and an Apple Watch Ultra, I prefer Apple Maps via Car Play. It works pretty well and also shows the directions on my watch. I don't use the watch for directions per say but for the haptics it does when a turn or message is shown. It also has the option for Google Maps but I think Apple Maps is better.

Users who are viewing this thread