5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To WoolWax or to Ceramic coat first?

spelunk68

Reaction score
The 2009 I just traded in with under 50k miles was perfect, ran perfect and the paint was still beautiful... except.. the rockers had rotted through and who ever gets it will have a perfect truck once those are replaced. I keep my trucks for a very long time and I do no want to repeat this (For the life of the 2009 I tried not to go out before, during or after snow but it had to be done sometimes, but I was not commuting 45 miles to and from anywhere in the snow or anything like that so the fact this happened is surprising). Anyway too my question, the 2 gallon Woolwax kit has arrived as well as the ceramic coating. I am torn aas what order o do them in, what are your opinions? should I de-wax and ceramic coat the truck then the woolwax and degrease the over spray off or woolwax degrease and dewax and then ceramic coat, not sure what the cons are of the two ways. Any ideas? Not sure how it would affect the ceramic coating to have woolwax cleaned off of it.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
The 2009 I just traded in with under 50k miles was perfect, ran perfect and the paint was still beautiful... except.. the rockers had rotted through and who ever gets it will have a perfect truck once those are replaced. I keep my trucks for a very long time and I do no want to repeat this (For the life of the 2009 I tried not to go out before, during or after snow but it had to be done sometimes, but I was not commuting 45 miles to and from anywhere in the snow or anything like that so the fact this happened is surprising). Anyway too my question, the 2 gallon Woolwax kit has arrived as well as the ceramic coating. I am torn aas what order o do them in, what are your opinions? should I de-wax and ceramic coat the truck then the woolwax and degrease the over spray off or woolwax degrease and dewax and then ceramic coat, not sure what the cons are of the two ways. Any ideas? Not sure how it would affect the ceramic coating to have woolwax cleaned off of it.
when my truck was given a ceramic coating (4 coats) they said I never have to add any type of wax. and that it was best not to wax the coating. only wash it every other week or so.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would woolwax first. Since you gotta clean the paint or any waxes that may be on the paint for the ceramic coating to properly stick. instead of having to clean it twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

spelunk68

Reaction score
when my truck was given a ceramic coating (4 coats) they said I never have to add any type of wax. and that it was best not to wax the coating. only wash it every other week or so.
Sorry my post may have been confusing, woolwax is fluidfilm but a different brand a little different formulation, I am worried about the overspray that is inevitable from the cloud of aerosoled oil and solvent that gets everywhere

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sorry my post may have been confusing, woolwax is fluidfilm but a different brand a little different formulation, I am worried about the overspray that is inevitable from the cloud of aerosoled oil and solvent that gets everywhere
I saw that no one caught what you were saying.

Woolwax. You will have to clean it thoroughly either way to ceramic it. Undercoating is way more important.

I had hoped Ram improved on the metal. I sold a 2012 Frontier in 2021 and it looked brand new underneath with no protection at all. "American" vehicles should take notes.

RedFred

Reaction score
I still have a 2015 Ram 1500 with close to 170k miles. I live in the north east and it gets driven daily, including before, after, and during snowstorms. I still haven't had any rust issues.

spelunk68

Reaction score
I still have a 2015 Ram 1500 with close to 170k miles. I live in the north east and it gets driven daily, including before, after, and during snowstorms. I still haven't had any rust issues.
When I traded it in the salesman said that was a common issues on the first of the fourth gen, I got the truck in the second half of 2009 when they switched to 4th gen. now I am scarred lol

spelunk68

Reaction score
I saw that no one caught what you were saying.

Woolwax. You will have to clean it thoroughly either way to ceramic it. Undercoating is way more important.

I had hoped Ram improved on the metal. I sold a 2012 Frontier in 2021 and it looked brand new underneath with no protection at all. "American" vehicles should take notes.
Just dont take any lessons from the toyota tacoma frames :ROFLMAO: Pretty bad when a recall is to replace the frames of all of the tacomas

spelunk68

Reaction score
I found a couple of pictures of the truck I traded in, as you can see not really bad underneath but needs some intervention soon but in the side shot you can see the absolute rot, it was
the same spot on both sides, other than that on the topside the truck looked perfect. I had owned the truck for 13 years at this point.

rust1.png rust2.png under1.png under2.png

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Haha! That looks pristine compared the the 2002 Jeep TJ I have that has rusted to death!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't scene many fourth gens with rust in my area but every once in a while I will see one that is absolutely eaten up on the rockers and fenders. I always wonder if the truck came from a saltier area then southern Ohio or if they got some sort of botched rust proofing that actually made it rust much faster.

spelunk68

Reaction score
I haven't scene many fourth gens with rust in my area but every once in a while I will see one that is absolutely eaten up on the rockers and fenders. I always wonder if the truck came from a saltier area then southern Ohio or if they got some sort of botched rust proofing that actually made it rust much faster.
From what I have been told from the Dealership ( so you know it must be true!!! lol) there were many rust issues with the beginning of the 4th gen ram that were corrected in later models

Users who are viewing this thread