5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Mud Flap or Not

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brother thanks for posting pics so quickly! I do like these they look cleaner than the WT.

Those are not bad but definitely not cleaner than WT. I’ll take a picture later. That flat rectangular looking too to them on the flare is a killer for me. That doesn’t look bad on a Rebel with non-painted flares but won’t look so hot on a Laramie, Longhorn, or Limited.

mustard54

Reaction score
Those are not bad but definitely not cleaner than WT. I’ll take a picture later. That flat rectangular looking too to them on the flare is a killer for me. That doesn’t look bad on a Rebel with non-painted flares but won’t look so hot on a Laramie, Longhorn, or Limited.
Would love to see the WT on yours. If you have painted flares i would like it would look a bit different.

freerider969

Reaction score
I have a rebel so I could see how it would work for me but maybe not for the Laramie and up.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Thanks for the pics, gives me a really good idea on what to expect. I ordered these for my Rebel, just the fronts.

ramhead

Reaction score
Excellent write up. Do you have any idea on which flaps are longer on the front?

No, I don't...they may actually be close in size but IMO the Husky's look better when on the truck....they have a clean curved look with no cosmetic "bump" in the design....but, again, whether that is an issue is a subjective opinion. I would have went with the Husky's either way and the $33 price for all 4 flaps was a big bonus.

ramhead

Reaction score

To each his own, again, but another thing that turned me off about the WT's is they are more squared off on the bottom edges than the Husky's which have curved corners and look more streamlined around the corners and full sweep of the back downward.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
No, I don't...they may actually be close in size but IMO the Husky's look better when on the truck....they have a clean curved look with no cosmetic "bump" in the design....but, again, whether that is an issue is a subjective opinion. I would have went with the Husky's either way and the $33 price for all 4 flaps was a big bonus.

Sounds good, I've ordered a set of fronts from each of them to see which one I like better. I'll sell the other on Craigslist or just keep it as a spare. What I do like about the Husky from the pics is the gap between the guard and the fender flares. Looks like it will prevent the molding from marring the fender over time.

Dakota

Reaction score
I wished my Mopar ones fit like that. Did you get the ones for fender flares or without fender flares as I and the dealer can not get the ones With fender flares to fit correctly on my Limited?
I ordered mine with flares.
I just took my time installing
I wished my Mopar ones fit like that. Did you get the ones for fender flares or without fender flares as I and the dealer can not get the ones With fender flares to fit correctly on my Limited?
I have a Longhorn, and I ordered the ones with flares, and I MADE my wife help me install them, to get them all lined up straight. We were not in a hurry and took our time. 4 hands and eyes were definitely better than 2.

freerider969

Reaction score
Sounds good, I've ordered a set of fronts from each of them to see which one I like better. I'll sell the other on Craigslist or just keep it as a spare. What I do like about the Husky from the pics is the gap between the guard and the fender flares. Looks like it will prevent the molding from marring the fender over time.
That is a great idea, at least that way you know for sure which you like best.

Wtray

Reaction score
I ordered mine with flares.
I just took my time installing

I have a Longhorn, and I ordered the ones with flares, and I MADE my wife help me install them, to get them all lined up straight. We were not in a hurry and took our time. 4 hands and eyes were definitely better than 2.
So your flares and mine should be the same...My dealer can't figure out why it does fit and is currently reaching back to Chrysler engineers. I like the Mopar ones, but I am just trying to figure out how to make them fit without the gap.

Attachments

• IMG_1735.JPG
    IMG_1735.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 128

Dakota

Reaction score
So your flares and mine should be the same...My dealer can't figure out why it does fit and is currently reaching back to Chrysler engineers. I like the Mopar ones, but I am just trying to figure out how to make them fit without the gap.
Are you in Minnesota?

Piggywutz

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of mud flaps or splash guards. That being said I was reading on here about paint chipping on the leading edges of the factory flares. I have a quad cab Laramie sport so I have the flares. The color is max steel so any chips are pretty easy to see. I erred on the side of protection and got some guards. I went with the weathertechs because to me they were the best looking.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of mud flaps or splash guards. That being said I was reading on here about paint chipping on the leading edges of the factory flares. I have a quad cab Laramie sport so I have the flares. The color is max steel so any chips are pretty easy to see. I erred on the side of protection and got some guards. I went with the weathertechs because to me they were the best looking.

Same boat here, in fact I'm only installing front mud flaps. I don't want to pay $800 for PPF, so I'm going in order of things. First front mud flaps. If not enough protection, then running boards. After that, PPF just on the rear fender area.

I normally would just put on running boards, but my Rebel already looks rather "busy" with a bed tool box and rack system. I think a set of running boards will make it look really gimmicky with so many exterior stuff going on. Front mud flaps is subtle enough, though I suspect based on this forum it won't be enough protection.

ramhead

Reaction score
Same boat here, in fact I'm only installing front mud flaps. I don't want to pay $800 for PPF, so I'm going in order of things. First front mud flaps. If not enough protection, then running boards. After that, PPF just on the rear fender area.

I normally would just put on running boards, but my Rebel already looks rather "busy" with a bed tool box and rack system. I think a set of running boards will make it look really gimmicky with so many exterior stuff going on. Front mud flaps is subtle enough, though I suspect based on this forum it won't be enough protection.

IMO the mud guards will give you more protection than you think. There are even some longer flaps which hang down lower beneath the fenders which would decrease debris/rocks being thrown up by tires that might serve you better:

Last edited:

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To each his own, again, but another thing that turned me off about the WT's is they are more squared off on the bottom edges than the Husky's which have curved corners and look more streamlined around the corners and full sweep of the back downward.

I saw a set of the Husky's on a big horn sport and I do prefer the looks of the husky's as they have the rounded corners and are flat on the back side so you hardly even notice them. I ordered a set and but they did not fit with the factory rear liners I have. The rears would not sit flush with the mini mud flap that is already on the truck so I sent them back. They work on trucks with fender flares both with and without liners, and also for trucks that don't have the flares or the liners. They don't however work on trucks that have the rear liners but no flares, their is a large plastic piece that comes up where the liners are. I did not want to trim my liners to make them fit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread