5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Flap or Not to Flap? That is my question...

Kicker0927

Reaction score
Considering putting some Weathertech splash guards on my 2021 Laramie. My truck is a 4x2 and I don't do any heavy off-roading, but in FL I deal mostly with sand, rocks, highway driving, and some light off-roading such as unkempt dirt/sand/gravel roads. After driving a few unkempt roads down in the Everglades last weekend I cringed when I began hearing all the rocks kicking off my all-weather tires into the truck. I'm not a big fan of the look of splash guards, but the Weathertech's seem to be pretty low-profile and not as "bold" as some others I've seen. Since I ordered the WT I have been looking around a lot and have noticed not a lot of people have installed splash guards on their trucks. I guess I'm kind of surprised? How many of you have them and do you feel they are necessary or am I going to look like a ****** if I put them on my truck? LOL..thanks in advance!

sep1006

Reaction score
Me personally I don't like the way mudflaps look, but they are practical and do what they are intended to do. In the end it comes down to what your okay with. Possible rock chips in the paint or the mudflaps.

Last edited:

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't love the look either but my Husky flaps do a great job of keeping the truck cleaner and the paint nicer. For me, that outweighs the look. FWIW I don't really even notice them anymore and I can see my truck from where I'm writing this. BTW - Shameless plug for the Husky flaps...excellent fit and look, and this coming from a big Weathertech fan.

Kicker0927

Reaction score
I have WT's on my Limited...hardly noticeable, do a good job. Overall happy I installed them.
Do the WT flaps come with a protective tape to protect your fenders from scratching? If not, did you use any kind of protective film between the flaps and fenders?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another vote for Husky, but there's really not that much difference in them. I want to point out however that neither will prevent rock chips. They will considerably reduce chips in the area immediately behind them, but will do nothing for any areas farther back. For example, you will still get rock chips on the rear fender flares. Mud flaps will not prevent this. The larger the mud flaps the more area that is protected. But you'd basically need mud flaps that nearly drag the ground to protect the rear fender flare and full rocker panel on the cab.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not a fan and you need to be careful when backing up with them. Someone posted a pic a few weeks back where they were backing up and the flap caught the edge of the raised garage floor and pushed itself into the tire. Guy ended up driving over the flap and ripping out the wheel well liner and damaging the truck bed

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I don't like them a lot but I have a set ready to go on. My tires stick out a bit and hold rocks. I am trying to cut back on chips so the rust does not start.

Kicker0927

Reaction score
Not a fan and you need to be careful when backing up with them. Someone posted a pic a few weeks back where they were backing up and the flap caught the edge of the raised garage floor and pushed itself into the tire. Guy ended up driving over the flap and ripping out the wheel well liner and damaging the truck bed
Damn! I park against a lot of parking blocks. I'm sure it wouldn't get stuck on one of those, but it's definitely something to consider and may change my mind on even getting any!

Appyfan

Reaction score
I didn't have them on my 2016 Bighorn, but got them for my Limited because I am in the Northeast and was worried about snow/slush interfering with the power running boards. I have the Huskys .

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
I have the Husky. Great fit, easy install, ugly as all get out. But they are there to do a job and are effective at keeping the mud, rocks, etc, from packing up while off road.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do the WT flaps come with a protective tape to protect your fenders from scratching? If not, did you use any kind of protective film between the flaps and fenders?
They come with the tapes.

BThiesing

Reaction score
I always preferred the naked look but after leaving my Catskill property and throwing rocks all over my brand new truck I decided to try them. 60 bucks for the huskies so I figured why not. The duratracs seem to hold every ¾" stone I drive over so I'm very glad I got them as my jobs parking lot is gravel for the next few months. They've grown on me quite a bit over the last month. Still work with the spacers too 20210719_133844.jpg

Glenn54

Reaction score
It's a no brainer IMO. If they give your truck a little protection and possibly keep a rock from hitting the car behind you or going by you in the other direction, then put them on. I have had them on all my trucks.

ben b

Reaction score
I installed Husky mudflaps on my white Longhorn. I hardly notice them. I suppose that's because they are close to the road and adjacent to black tires--they just blend in. The truck might look slightly better without them. But it surely looks better without all the rock chips that I would get with zero protection.

I avoided buying mud flaps with chrome decorations or contrasting logos. I don't have a beef with them; just not my style.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I absolutely didn't want mud flaps on my truck, but after seeing what happens when you don't, I decided to do it.

However, I only run them in the front and I prefer the Husky flaps, they match the look perfectly with my Rebel, to the point they look factory.

I recommend a set of stationary running boards as well if you don't want rocks hitting your rear rocker panel (front of bed). Other option is to PPF that area instead of using mud flaps and/or running boards.

Here are a couple of pics front and back of my mud flaps and OEM running boards, after 2 years and lots of dirt roads, zero chips....

Mud Flaps 1.jpg

Mud Flaps 2.jpg

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Before I put them on I was getting a ton of junk on the rear quarter panel area; it was just a matter of time before that spot looked like hell. So I went with the mud flaps. Cheap insurance. Mine came with the 3M tape to put on there before you put the flap on to keep from rubbing the paint off.

Kicker0927

Reaction score
Well, I decided to buy the Husky's based off so many reviews here. I'm still a little apprehensive about the look. I don't mind the look of the front one, but I'll have to install one on the rear and see how it looks. I don't offroad much here in FL, but when I have driven on gravel and all the sand here it can be a little cringe to here all that rock and grit blasting my new truck!

Users who are viewing this thread