5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To ceramic coat or not?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Rebel bumpers texture is easily removed. I tried fitting my truck in the garage with my rollaway tool box in front of the driver side headlight. I rolled in as slowly as possible to see if it would fit while watching the backup camera to see when it cleared the garage door, and the bumper just lightly touched the tool box. I have a nice smooth shiny spot on the bumper where they touched. I think small rocks will create more damage because they're coming in faster and harder. The bumper finish is very fragile.

~Ocho1~

Reaction score
this weekend I washed, clay barred, compounded & polished the truck (paint correction) & then I ceramic coated it. The whole thing took me two days & I was pretty tired afterwards, but at least I know it was done right.

The ceramic coated gave it a sick, glassy shine. Very reflective.

NiteRAM

Reaction score
Makes it way easier to clean so I think it’s worth it. Just had mine done.

62b2090eaf8964ea0578b23500077741.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djmobilehome

Reaction score
I received my bottles of Avalon King yesterday so I'm looking forward to doing this to my truck.

For those that have done this, should I do a single panel at a time, or 2x2 square? I think the 2x2 square will leave uneven edges from one section to the next, so I was thinking of a single panel at a time.

Also, I have decals on the hood. I can go right over those, right? It looks like it based on research I've done. I also want to go over the plastic on the hood, bedrails, wheel flares, B pillars and tailgate cover to protect them from fading.

Any advice is appreciated.
Curious if you're happy with how the Avalon King ceramic coating turned out, and if it's holding up okay after a few months.

I've seen YouTube videos with it, and can't figure out if they are all just hyping it up because they get a kickback, or if it's legit. I've also been looking at Gtechniq crystal serum light and cQuartz.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I would venture to say that any good quality ceramic will suffice…are they really that much different than one another? Buy any quality brand and don’t over think it!

sep1006

Reaction score
I would say it's definitely worth it. First vehicle I've owned that I had it done. So easy to keep clean and I get asked all the time hoe I get it to shine like that.

Here's the video from the detailer:

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had mine done with the purchase. I was GLAD -- within 3 months I drove my neighbors parents out to his cabin .. one section has some low branches and there were some deep mud holes. I clicked the Air Ride to OFF ROAD 2 and just cruised thru. Once I got home, I had seen all the scratches the branches left ..
I was so sad that I had just totally ruined the new truck's paint.
I washed the truck and used microfiber towels and noticed I didn't see the scratches any longer.

The Ceramic Coating was my savior. Some may not justify the cost, but since my previous vehicles were mostly white (and having my Malibu which was Black always look like crap), I wanted the protection.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had mine done with the purchase. I was GLAD -- within 3 months I drove my neighbors parents out to his cabin .. one section has some low branches and there were some deep mud holes. I clicked the Air Ride to OFF ROAD 2 and just cruised thru. Once I got home, I had seen all the scratches the branches left ..
I was so sad that I had just totally ruined the new truck's paint.
I washed the truck and used microfiber towels and noticed I didn't see the scratches any longer.

The Ceramic Coating was my savior. Some may not justify the cost, but since my previous vehicles were mostly white (and having my Malibu which was Black always look like crap), I wanted the protection.
Totally agree...it is a great investment. Just don't let someone else do it for you...people, if physically capable, could/should do it themselves and will save well over a $1000 by doing so. Very easy to do and the cost of the product and paint correction tools and polish is less than $250.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Totally agree...it is a great investment. Just don't let someone else do it for you...people, if physically capable, could/should do it themselves and will save well over a $1000 by doing so. Very easy to do and the cost of the product and paint correction tools and polish is less than $250.
I had purchased 2 diff brands prior to the truck being delivered and watched all the videos. But I lucked out when the Dealership "forced" me to take it as part of the protection plan. LOL .. I wasn't worried as I can always "refresh" the coating with the stuffs I bought.

Users who are viewing this thread