5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Buy Warranty or Not?

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I bought my Maxcare a few days after bringing my 2019 1500 LTD home. Bought the 8/125K from Ziegler, with a $200.00 ded. for $2150.00 I also have the Maxcare Life on my Grand Cherokee Summit. 100.00ded.

I went for the 7/unlimited myself - because I typically run up 100K in 4 years - and I might want to actually keep this one a little longer. I WILL NOT OWN a car with 20 computers - without a factory warranty to cover it. In the case of my 2 previous Hondas - I never had to use them (OK - CV joints on my 2012 - that would have cost $500).

It was worth the extra $$ for me to go unlimited - so I don't feel compelled to trade in 4-5 years (though I probably will ANYWAYS).

FCA also refunds the unused portion of warranties (as did Honda) - even if you had a claim under the policy...

Another thing I like about the Unlimited (though it could work against you also), is that if the repair cost exceeds the book value of the vehicle - they will give you the book value and buy your vehicle from you. Then again - if the repair is going to cost you more OOP than the vehicle is worth - unless you have a lot of mods invested or some bizarre emotional attachment to the vehicle - it's probably a good thing to be able to sell FCA your "broken truck" and replace it - than fix it. The old unlimited/unlimited worked the same way.

Rick

U

User_3336

This works for the MAXCARE too, not just the unlimited.

Another thing I like about the Unlimited (though it could work against you also), is that if the repair cost exceeds the book value of the vehicle - they will give you the book value and buy your vehicle from you. Then again - if the repair is going to cost you more OOP than the vehicle is worth - unless you have a lot of mods invested or some bizarre emotional attachment to the vehicle - it's probably a good thing to be able to sell FCA your "broken truck" and replace it - than fix it. The old unlimited/unlimited worked the same way.

Rick

U

User_3336

IMPORTANT! The maximum benefit amount should a covered component of the Vehicle fail will be THE TOTAL COST OF THE REPAIRS PER VISIT LESS THE DEDUCTIBLE, OR THE CASH VALUE OF THE VEHICLE, WHICHEVER IS LESS! The cash value of the Vehicle will be determined at the time of the covered repair and will be the average retail value as listed in the current NADA Used Car Pricing Guide. If at any time the repair costs for covered component(s) exceed the Vehicle’s cash value, your final Plan benefit will be our payment of the Vehicle’s cash value rather than the repair costs. Plan coverage and benefits will terminate automatically and immediately pursuant to this provision and we will have no further obligations of any kind in respect to the terminated Plan.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
This works for the MAXCARE too, not just the unlimited.

I get that - but if you have a MILEAGE LIMITED POLICY - it's only good to that mileage.

As I commented earlier - 125K mile is only good for 4 years for me. As soon as I get close to 100 - I trade. Because your trade-in value takes a dive after 100K miles.

For folks that drive the (average) 12K miles - you'll hit the time limitation on the policy - long before you hit the mileage one (on a limited mileage policy).

It all depends on how much you drive annually - and how long you plan on keeping your truck (versus - where the trade-in value is going to be).

At my age (feel older than I am) - it's likely my next vehicle is going to be a downsize (both physically and economically) or I might keep this one the full 7 years of the warranty - since mileage isn't a concern.

Rick

Grouper

Reaction score
Also - for FLORIDA BUYERS - VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT (like $1,000 worth of important).

Florida's DIVISION OF INSURANCE took over the regulation of "extended warranties" a number of years ago - due to the number of SCAM EXTENDED WARRANTIES going on down here (the land of the phone room scammers). You have to be LICENSED TO SELL EXTENDED WARRANTIES IN FLORIDA. Dealers down here will tell you THE STATE REGULATES THEIR PRICES - THIS IS A LIE - THEY DO NOT (and I got this right from the State Insurance Commissioner's Office).

When they first started this crap (regulating extended warranties as INSURANCE - which is what they actually are anyways) - you couldn't get an "internet dealer" to sell a policy to a Florida Address. In the case of my previous HondaCare warranties - I gave them a friends address in NC as a shipping address (they only care about the VIN#, not the state of registration).

Even Zieglers price for extended warranties is $1,000 MORE EXPENSIVE if you quote FOR FLORIDA - than ANYWHERE ELSE. Which I think is a crock of crap - because Florida DOESN'T REGULATE PRICE - ONLY THE INDUSTRY.

The dealer I got it from (noted in my earlier post) didn't add this in (the Florida Factor) and - in a quote I just did - was (is) still SIGNIFICANTLY LESS EXPENSIVE than Zeiglers quote (by $500, as it was when I purchased mine a year ago).

SHOP YOUR FCA EXTENDED WARRANTY. Nothing against Zeigler - but if you can save $$ on the EXACT SAME WARRANTY - it's worth a few phone calls to do so.

Again - FLORIDA BUYERS BEWARE - SHOP YOUR POLICY...

Rick
I'm not sure whether I'll buy an extended warranty but regardless, thanks for this information. Had I not read your post, I wouldn't have known there were issues particular to FL residents.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I get that - but if you have a MILEAGE LIMITED POLICY - it's only good to that mileage.

As I commented earlier - 125K mile is only good for 4 years for me. As soon as I get close to 100 - I trade. Because your trade-in value takes a dive after 100K miles.

For folks that drive the (average) 12K miles - you'll hit the time limitation on the policy - long before you hit the mileage one (on a limited mileage policy).

It all depends on how much you drive annually - and how long you plan on keeping your truck (versus - where the trade-in value is going to be).

At my age (feel older than I am) - it's likely my next vehicle is going to be a downsize (both physically and economically) or I might keep this one the full 7 years of the warranty - since mileage isn't a concern.

Rick
I sprang for the Lifetime MaxCare warranty (when it was still offered) for this reason. I only average 7K miles per year.

Zig10

Reaction score
I never used to get extended warranties on my vehicles because there was very little that I couldn't diagnose and fix myself if it went bad. My 2 current vehicles, though, are so packed full of sealed/one-time-use components that it's not worth the risk. As noted above...got a bad tail-light? $800. Got a loose waste-gate actuator on my Expedition? Full turbo replacement for $2500+. God forbid the iPad that doubles as the head unit/HVAC systems goes bad in this Ram.

It's a shame, but 1 repair anymore can cover the cost of the extended warranty. I'll likely be getting mine by year's end.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I never used to get extended warranties on my vehicles because there was very little that I couldn't diagnose and fix myself if it went bad. My 2 current vehicles, though, are so packed full of sealed/one-time-use components that it's not worth the risk. As noted above...got a bad tail-light? $800. Got a loose waste-gate actuator on my Expedition? Full turbo replacement for $2500+. God forbid the iPad that doubles as the head unit/HVAC systems goes bad in this Ram.

It's a shame, but 1 repair anymore can cover the cost of the extended warranty. I'll likely be getting mine by year's end.
Are the LED lights included in the policy? Seems to me they would be considered "wear" items. I have the Max care Lifetime would be happy for them to be part of the package.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are the LED lights included in the policy? Seems to me they would be considered "wear" items. I have the Max care Lifetime would be happy for them to be part of the package.

Yep. I called them just to make sure but both LED headlight and taillight assemblies are covered.

DBD3F7B6-BDA3-4B11-9B16-BB3A191912FF.jpeg

Last edited:

Glenn54

Reaction score
Is this 85,000 additional miles? I will go to the website later but do they have a warranty with a higher deductible for less money?

Thanks for all the replies, and to the OP for starting this thread.

I went ahead and just purchased the 8 year/85000/$100 deductible MaxCare plan from Zeigler for $1430.

After reading the replies that involved costly repairs, along with the fact that I’ve had more than a few issues since purchasing the truck, I feel that the gamble was worthwhile for the total $$$ I paid that keeps me covered through the year 2027.

Good luck to the OP and others considering it, I do believe in the end it is worth it.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is this 85,000 additional miles? I will go to the website later but do they have a warranty with a higher deductible for less money?

The mileage is always based on the vehicle purchase date, that’s for every extended warranty out there. So it would be 85000 miles since new. Same with the years - it is 8 years from vehicle purchase. So, since the factory warranty is already in effect for 3 years/36000 miles, what I’m effectively purchasing is an extra 5 years and 49000 miles of coverage.

They have all sorts of different plans based on different deductibles, years and mileage. I believe the max number of years is 8 and you can even select unlimited miles - that would suit someone who drives a crap load of miles per year. There is a plan for everyone... just pick the one that fits your driving amounts and time. In my case I drive around 10,000 miles/year so 8/85 made sense for me. For a $200 deductible, the plan that I bought (8 year/85k) would be around $300 less ($1100 and change.) With zero deductible it was around $2100. I feel that the $100 deductible was a good compromise for total $$$ spent ($1430 for the 8/85.)

When you price out a quote on their website, make sure to put in the promo code “payinfull” which knocks off $350 I believe. There is also another promo code if you want to finance it, “damon2”. And make sure to choose the MaxCare, that’s the one that covers just about bumper to bumper.

Good luck, I believe it is totally worth it for that price.

Last edited:
U

User_3336

The discount using the "PAYINFULL" promo on the Zeigler website is $365.

QUOTE="Condor757, post: 340422, member: 38550"]

When you price out a quote on their website, make sure to put in the promo code “payinfull” which knocks off $350 I believe. There is also another promo code if you want to finance it, “damon2”

Good luck, I believe it is totally worth it for that price.
[/QUOTE]

Pat K

Reaction score
Can someone provide a link to Zeigler's extended warranty page. Thanks

Bluesurf

Reaction score

tjsadler

Reaction score
I posted a separate thread about this yesterday, but have you looked into Mechanical Breakdown Insurance through your car insurance carrier? With Geico it costs me $28 every six months and covers everything except wear and tear with a $250 deductible. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than any warranty offered and the coverage is good for 7yr/100k. The one caveat is that you have to start the coverage within one year and 15,000 miles from new and keep it continuously covered.

U

User_3336

That is a link to ZEIGLER, but not to the ESP plans page.

Here is the correct one.

EJ84

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the deductible is on the money back guarantee Mopar plan?

Users who are viewing this thread