5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To Buy Warranty or Not?

Glenn54

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Laramie with 5.7 Hemi. Everything is stock, including original tires and wheels. I do have a bed cover on it but doubt that is relevant in this issue. I have about 22,000 miles and have had zero problems at this point. Always change the oil and rotate tires on time. Would you guys/gals buy a warranty at this point?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You mean a 2019 purchased in 2018?

Are you worried more about powertrain or everything else? Remember your powertrain warranty is covered for 5 years / 60k. However, if you are worried about your rear window leaking, HVAC or electrical stuff, then you may want to consider an extended warranty before your bumper to bumper runs out.

But it truly depends on how long you plan on keeping your truck and what that piece of mind is worth to you. Also, read the fine print, a lot of those extended warranties, even factory ones have deductible and various limitations on what is still under warranty, like paint, water intrusion, etc. may no longer be covered.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
From my perspective, the money I paid for the 7 year, 125K extended warranty is worth the peace of mind I will get knowing that my truck will have coverage for another 4 years/90K miles after the manufacturer's warranty expires. I paid approx. $2400 for my extended warranty, which will give me 4 extra years of coverage. That's about $600 a year or $50 a month for peace of mind, which for me was worth it, especially when I considered all the electronic modules in my truck. Plus, should I ever sell or trade in the truck, I can get some of that money back, although I plan on keeping this truck as long as I can. It's too amazing to sell or trade in. :)

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Following. I too am struggling with the decision. Mine is a 2019 Bighorn that’s about to pass 12000 miles. And I have already had 3 or 4 issues in the year I’ve had the truck: Brake booster went out... Tranny got stuck in 3rd... Drivers side mirror was loose... and finally the dreaded rear window leak. All were fixed under warranty but if this is an indication of the problems I might have, it might be worth buying one. The only problem is, I’m a huge Dave Ramsey follower and we all know his opinion on extended warranties (waste of money, much better to save/invest it for later.) So my plan has been to wait until I get closer to the end of the factory warranty and see how the truck is doing, fully understanding that I’d be paying more for the same warranty by waiting. Guess it’s a calculated risk. I would love the peace of mind but at the same time I stop and think of how much I could do/invest with that 2 or 3 grand. Tough choice for me.

Rambunktious

Reaction score
Following. I too am struggling with the decision. Mine is a 2019 Bighorn that’s about to pass 12000 miles. And I have already had 3 or 4 issues in the year I’ve had the truck: Brake booster went out... Tranny got stuck in 3rd... Drivers side mirror was loose... and finally the dreaded rear window leak. All were fixed under warranty but if this is an indication of the problems I might have, it might be worth buying one. The only problem is, I’m a huge Dave Ramsey follower and we all know his opinion on extended warranties (waste of money, much better to save/invest it for later.) So my plan has been to wait until I get closer to the end of the factory warranty and see how the truck is doing, fully understanding that I’d be paying more for the same warranty by waiting. Guess it’s a calculated risk. I would love the peace of mind but at the same time I stop and think of how much I could do/invest with that 2 or 3 grand. Tough choice for me.
I don't have the same concerns that you do because I am horrible at investing my money. If I didn't spend it on the extended warranty, I would have spent it on something else. If you are disciplined and can save the money, then that might be the better route for you. As you noted, its a calculated risk, but you have already weathered four issues, so the likelihood of a catastrophic failure after the warranty has expired is probably very low for you. Plus you still have 24000 miles and 2 years of coverage left, right? If I was in your shoes at this point, and more disciplined, I'd keep saving my money and let the chips fall where they may. Unfortunately, I'm not disciplined like you, so I am better off with the extended warranty. :ROFLMAO:

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thx Rambunktious, I agree with what you wrote. Still debating it.

So I just went to the Ziegler site to price out some MaxCare warranties (Chrysler factory plans.com). Can you guys tell me if these are good deals? I put around 10,000 miles/year on my truck:

8yr/85000 with $100 deductible + payinfull promo code = $1430
8yr/85000 with $0 deductible + payinfull promo code = $2090

Rambunktious

Reaction score
The $100 deductible plan is a great deal. 5 extra years of coverage for $1430? That's less than $300 a year or $25 a month for an additional 5 years of peace of mind. I'd be OK with that, plus your only out of pocket is $100 per occurrence. That's half my deductible.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I do not usually buy warranties. The lifetime warranty was available till the end of November 2019 for the price of $3000. I purchased the warranty for 3 reasons:
1 - new model, new features
2 - unknown reliability history
3 - AC repair is expensive these days, new "freon" version 1234ya

I am not concerned about the major components (motor, tranny, rear end) but the "little" incidentals that are not available on the aftermarket and I am unable to repair other than at the dealership.

My wife's 2017 Honda Civic's AC went out right at the end of the warranty. No idea of the cost but I'm sure it would be a serious hit for the repair. My neighborhood mechanic will not put in rebuilt parts for AC based on previous reliability experience.

Scotty explains the new AC: cost $90+ versus $3,000 for a 30 lb., new is flammable and toxic when burning

RickWaz

Reaction score
We opted for a FCA Extended Warranty when we purchased my wife's 2013 Grand Cherokee in 2012 (I believe 120,000 miles/7-years, bumper-tp bumper). It was a warranty that would be refunded 100% (~$2,2000) if we did not use it, although we could use the stnd. Mnf. warranty for any covered items/issues w/o penalty. We did not have use the extra warranty, and rec'ed a complete refund w/i 60-days after that warranty expired.

So I opted for a similar, guaranteed warranty on my 2020 Limited w/ hopes I do not use and will get back my payment.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We opted for a FCA Extended Warranty when we purchased my wife's 2013 Grand Cherokee in 2012 (I believe 120,000 miles/7-years, bumper-tp bumper). It was a warranty that would be refunded 100% (~$2,2000) if we did not use it, although we could use the stnd. Mnf. warranty for any covered items/issues w/o penalty. We did not have use the extra warranty, and rec'ed a complete refund w/i 60-days after that warranty expired.

So I opted for a similar, guaranteed warranty on my 2020 Limited w/ hopes I do not use and will get back my payment.

That's awesome. Does anyone know if the Mopar extended warranties offered by Ziegler are fully refundable if never used?

Edit: I see there is an option for Money Back Guarantee Plan, it costs $2005 for that option.

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
Just a small piece of FYI, if you have LED headlamps they are currently $917 list. If you have LED tail lights they are currently $834 list. Nothing in them are serviceable regarding the lighting features. One diode goes out and you need an entire assembly. Power folding mirrors are currently $500 only serviceable item is the glass and mirror cap. Motor dies, whole new mirror assembly.

Of course you can get parts used by chance or get something aftermarket, so I am just airing those prices out to give you an idea of what you are buying (extended warranty) in relation to how much three different part types cost.

And, I did buy an extended warranty from Ziegler for my 2020 Laramie. Max Care, 8yr/125k, $100 deductible, $2,575 cost.

Last edited:

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I did the FCA 7yr/Unlimited.

WAY TOO MANY COMPUTERS in this thing to not have one.

I like the manufacturers warranties. Even if it means bringing it to a dealer (that has better access to tech support, diagnostic tools and PARTS anyways).

And I usually TRADE when the extended is almost gone (though I usually trade anyways every 4 years or so).

You can't go wrong with an FCA warranty - though I would SHOP IT - as the dealers use them as "profit centers" (and typically gouge - especially with the REALLY GREAT 3RD PARTY WARRANTY they will try and push on you). As an example (using Honda) - the $1,850 the dealer wanted to charge me for an 8/120K warranty - I got for $1,250 from a different dealer that specialized in "internet extended warranty sales". So there's typically a TON OF MARGIN in the extended warranties.

I got mine from a dealer in Indiana (Riedman Motors), that someone here turned me onto when I picked my truck up. Had it researched and quoted before I even bought it (using the VIN off the window stickers of the trucks I was zeroing in on).

Buddy of mine turned me onto a friend that works at FCA Corp in Detroit, who told me HE couldn't come close to the price I got from them.

MaxCare 7 year/Unlimited Miles - $100 Deductible - $2,990.00

The other benefit of buying "out of state" is they usually don't collect SALES TAX (which in my case - saved me an additional $210).

My $.02

Rick

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Its great peace of mind. I bought these on every car/truck. Always got the best deal from Ziegler Auto Group.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, and to the OP for starting this thread.

I went ahead and just purchased the 8 year/85000/$100 deductible MaxCare plan from Zeigler for $1430.

After reading the replies that involved costly repairs, along with the fact that I’ve had more than a few issues since purchasing the truck, I feel that the gamble was worthwhile for the total $$$ I paid that keeps me covered through the year 2027.

Good luck to the OP and others considering it, I do believe in the end it is worth it.

U

User_3336

Plan cost are what they are . . . . But, consistently, Zeigler pretty much has the lowest online price of anyone, even if its by $25 sometimes.

Zeigler has always given the forum members discounts while others didn't.

I had to make justification between the $0 and $100 deductible. with the same time frame that's $660 difference.
So, you'd have to make SIX out of warranty visits before you broke even. I'd go with the $100 deductible,, and save your $660 up front.

Thx Rambunktious, I agree with what you wrote. Still debating it.

So I just went to the Ziegler site to price out some MaxCare warranties (Chrysler factory plans.com). Can you guys tell me if these are good deals? I put around 10,000 miles/year on my truck:

8yr/85000 with $100 deductible + payinfull promo code = $1430
8yr/85000 with $0 deductible + payinfull promo code = $2090

U

User_3336

That is why you NEVER EVER buy an extended warranty at the time you purchase your truck/car in the dealer's finance office. Extended warranties / add-ons are a major profit center for a dealer.

THUS, is why we buy online, from actual FCA/RAM dealers in other states, selling the SAME certified FCA/MOPAR warranty that was offered to you in the finance office for THOUSANDS more than you could have paid online.
Some dealers do sell third party warranties, and these are even more cash cows!

So, there is only a "ton of margin" for the dealer is one is stupid to buy it from you local selling dealer.

Margins ONLINE, however, are razor thin. these online dealers sell in volume, which gives them the opportunity to sell more plans at a much lower cost and still turn a profit.

I can tell you that some of these ESP's only net $100-200 at most.

And you are correct about the sales tax, that alone saved about $100 for me.

Zeigler has had a big presence in the forums for a while now, and appears to have the best online price, even if its by $25 sometimes.

You can't go wrong with an FCA warranty - though I would SHOP IT - as the dealers use them as "profit centers" (and typically gouge - especially with the REALLY GREAT 3RD PARTY WARRANTY they will try and push on you). As an example (using Honda) - the $1,850 the dealer wanted to charge me for an 8/120K warranty - I got for $1,250 from a different dealer that specialized in "internet extended warranty sales". So there's typically a TON OF MARGIN in the extended warranties.
The other benefit of buying "out of state" is they usually don't collect SALES TAX (which in my case - saved me an additional $210).

My $.02

Rick

Bluesurf

Reaction score
I did the FCA 7yr/Unlimited.

WAY TOO MANY COMPUTERS in this thing to not have one.

I like the manufacturers warranties. Even if it means bringing it to a dealer (that has better access to tech support, diagnostic tools and PARTS anyways).

And I usually TRADE when the extended is almost gone (though I usually trade anyways every 4 years or so).

I got mine from a dealer in Indiana (Riedman Motors), that someone here turned me onto when I picked my truck up. Had it researched and quoted before I even bought it (using the VIN off the window stickers of the trucks I was zeroing in on).

Buddy of mine turned me onto a friend that works at FCA Corp in Detroit, who told me HE couldn't come close to the price I got from them.

MaxCare 7 year/Unlimited Miles - $100 Deductible - $2,990.00

My $.02

Rick
I bought my Maxcare a few days after bringing my 2019 1500 LTD home. Bought the 8/125K from Ziegler, with a $200.00 ded. for $2150.00 I also have the Maxcare Life on my Grand Cherokee Summit. 100.00ded.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
That is why you NEVER EVER buy an extended warranty at the time you purchase your truck/car in the dealer's finance office. Extended warranties / add-ons are a major profit center for a dealer.

THUS, is why we buy online, from actual FCA/RAM dealers in other states, selling the SAME certified FCA/MOPAR warranty that was offered to you in the finance office for THOUSANDS more than you could have paid online.
Some dealers do sell third party warranties, and these are even more cash cows!

So, there is only a "ton of margin" for the dealer is one is stupid to buy it from you local selling dealer.

Margins ONLINE, however, are razor thin. these online dealers sell in volume, which gives them the opportunity to sell more plans at a much lower cost and still turn a profit.

I can tell you that some of these ESP's only net $100-200 at most.

And you are correct about the sales tax, that alone saved about $100 for me.

Zeigler has had a big presence in the forums for a while now, and appears to have the best online price, even if its by $25 sometimes.

Also - for FLORIDA BUYERS - VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT (like $1,000 worth of important).

Florida's DIVISION OF INSURANCE took over the regulation of "extended warranties" a number of years ago - due to the number of SCAM EXTENDED WARRANTIES going on down here (the land of the phone room scammers). You have to be LICENSED TO SELL EXTENDED WARRANTIES IN FLORIDA. Dealers down here will tell you THE STATE REGULATES THEIR PRICES - THIS IS A LIE - THEY DO NOT (and I got this right from the State Insurance Commissioner's Office).

When they first started this crap (regulating extended warranties as INSURANCE - which is what they actually are anyways) - you couldn't get an "internet dealer" to sell a policy to a Florida Address. In the case of my previous HondaCare warranties - I gave them a friends address in NC as a shipping address (they only care about the VIN#, not the state of registration).

Even Zieglers price for extended warranties is $1,000 MORE EXPENSIVE if you quote FOR FLORIDA - than ANYWHERE ELSE. Which I think is a crock of crap - because Florida DOESN'T REGULATE PRICE - ONLY THE INDUSTRY.

The dealer I got it from (noted in my earlier post) didn't add this in (the Florida Factor) and - in a quote I just did - was (is) still SIGNIFICANTLY LESS EXPENSIVE than Zeiglers quote (by $500, as it was when I purchased mine a year ago).

SHOP YOUR FCA EXTENDED WARRANTY. Nothing against Zeigler - but if you can save $$ on the EXACT SAME WARRANTY - it's worth a few phone calls to do so.

Again - FLORIDA BUYERS BEWARE - SHOP YOUR POLICY...

Rick

Last edited:
U

User_3336

Some online dealers don't even list FLORIDA in their drop down list because of this. Doesn't seem to affect the rests of the US states, Not even California (which is usually the worst with addendums and clauses.

Users who are viewing this thread