5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tires cupping. 2019 Rebel 1500 with 45000 miles, Air Suspension, BFG Ko2s with 8,000 miles on them

ImEngineer

Reaction score
I bought this 2019 Rebel 1500 last year with 36,000 miles on it. The OEM factory tires (Goodyear wrangler duratrac) were very cupped. I assumed the previous simply hadn't rotated the tires often enough, or the alignment was off, or the shocks were bad. I replaced the tires with BFG K02, had the truck aligned (the mechanic not out of alignment by very much), and had the shocks checked (also were not deemed bad by the mechanic). The truck has the air suspension for what it is worth.

I've rotated the tires three times since putting them on 8000 miles ago (~2500 miles per rotation), and the tires are showing signs of cupping again. I run the door sticker recommended air pressure of 55psi front and 45psi rear. Mostly driving highway.

Do you have any ideas of what else could be causing the tires to wear like this? I'm thinking the factory recommended air pressure might be too high or too low? I will check with the chalk test.

It's a bit hard to see in the pics, but you can definitely feel the uneven tread height wear on the edges of the tires, especially between the sipes. The tread in the middle of the tire is wearing evenly. It's slightly worse on the tires that were recently on the front than the rear.

IMG_8680.jpeg IMG_8681.jpeg IMG_8682.jpeg IMG_8683.jpeg

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like slight feathering.
OEM Duratracks went 60k miles without unusual wear, rotated at oil changes around 6 to 8k or so.
The replacment Duratracks are exhibiting a similar wear pattern as your tires, softer compound perhaps?
My daily commute involves a lot of tight turns and we have a fair amount of roundabouts so I am chalking it up to that

Users who are viewing this thread