5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tires and difference in ride.

Tmcb

Reaction score
I have the ‘19 Longhorn off road package. I didn’t need the off road package and was led to believe the ride is the same.

I find that I feel the smaller bumps more now then in my prior Ram, which was just a 4x4.

The tires on this are 275 55 r20. AT, or All Terrian. Knowing I never go off road, would switching out the tires make a difference in how she rides. If so, what tire would be the best.

whododat

Reaction score
Did you have 20inch rims on your other truck? 20 inch rims would make it ride a little harsher. I have 18 inch rims on my Big Horn but I had 20 inch rims on my 2016 Ram.
I can tell you that I switched from the stock tires (Goodyear) to BF Goodrich KO2's and there was a difference in the ride. The stock tires made it drive, well, like a car. It was smoother with the factory tires but I do use the all terrain tires so they were a must. A lot of people love the Michelin tires.

Tmcb

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses. I did have 20 inch rims on my 17 but Mich tires.

To be honest the trade offs from the 17 longhorn 4x4 to the 19 4x4 off road package are not worth switching. I should have kept the ‘17. The uconnect system is not compatable to my IPhone for texting , the weather map takes forever to load , the navigation for traffic is difficult to work while driving.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Makes absolutely no sense to make 20-22" wheels standard on higher trims for luxury PKG when 18" offer a more luxury ride both on & off-road.
20" wheels are perfectly fine from a luxury standpoint. Have you driven on them?

22" are still pretty good with the air suspension. A little harsher than 20", but not bad at all.

It's a matter of balancing looks and ride comfort. I absolutely would not want 18" on my Limited, and my guess is most buyers feel the same way or else RAM wouldn't be selling them with 20" and above as the only option.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
20" wheels are perfectly fine from a luxury standpoint. Have you driven on them?

22" are still pretty good with the air suspension. A little harsher than 20", but not bad at all.

It's a matter of balancing looks and ride comfort. I absolutely would not want 18" on my Limited, and my guess is most buyers feel the same way or else RAM wouldn't be selling them with 20" and above as the only option.

I attempted 18s in a F150 King ranch last year in an attempt at ride quality. Didn't matter, still pretty rough. Drove a ram with 22s and air suspension and thought it rode super nice. 20s probably would be a bit better, but I really liked the 22s look on the Limited. Hoping I won't regret the 22 choice

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of the reasons I special ordered was to get a fully optioned Laramie with the 18” wheels. You can tell a slight difference in ride quality over the 22” truck I tested. The off road package tires are more aggressive and will not ride like the regular 4x4 tires, but they look great.

Tmcb

Reaction score
One of the reasons I special ordered was to get a fully optioned Laramie with the 18” wheels. You can tell a slight difference in ride quality over the 22” truck I tested. The off road package tires are more aggressive and will not ride like the regular 4x4 tires, but they look great.
They do look great.

Rammer76

Reaction score
I did the same thing with my laramie. I will use the AT tires for off roading when hunting and fishing, but I did not want to have to pay the premium for 20" rims, $1295 when I ordered. I don't know how much better the 18s ride than the 20s but I do know replacement BFG KO for a 18" rim are $ cheaper than for 20". To be honest, I can't tell the difference between a 20" rim and a 18" unless I get out the tape measure.

Flot

Reaction score
I have the ‘19 Longhorn off road package. I didn’t need the off road package and was led to believe the ride is the same.

I find that I feel the smaller bumps more now then in my prior Ram, which was just a 4x4.

The tires on this are 275 55 r20. AT, or All Terrian. Knowing I never go off road, would switching out the tires make a difference in how she rides. If so, what tire would be the best.

This will sound silly, but have you checked to see what the current tires are inflated to? A change of even 5 psi can lead to a very different ride.

I have the 4x4 non-offroad package and I find the ride to be notably more comfortable than my 2011 sport was. For appearance and wheel protection, I'm inclined to go to a 275/60 when I replace the tires, which may also soften the ride a tiny bit.

It is going to be tough to get a reaslitic opinion on the ride of the tires themselves - especially on a brand new truck. In fact, it might be impossible, since you'd be looking for someone with a 4x4 offroad package (also has different shocks?) who has decided to put a more street tire on. The most realistic thing for you to do is find someone (maybe a local dealer has swapped out for something agressive for an upgraded package truck?) who would let you borrow their take-off wheels and tires and swap them on to see if you notice a difference, and would be a minimum of hassle.

The problem here is that it isn't just the tires but also the shocks and likely springs which are different.

I'd let a little air out of those tires first and see if your opinion changes.

Tmcb

Reaction score
This will sound silly, but have you checked to see what the current tires are inflated to? A change of even 5 psi can lead to a very different ride.

I have the 4x4 non-offroad package and I find the ride to be notably more comfortable than my 2011 sport was. For appearance and wheel protection, I'm inclined to go to a 275/60 when I replace the tires, which may also soften the ride a tiny bit.

It is going to be tough to get a reaslitic opinion on the ride of the tires themselves - especially on a brand new truck. In fact, it might be impossible, since you'd be looking for someone with a 4x4 offroad package (also has different shocks?) who has decided to put a more street tire on. The most realistic thing for you to do is find someone (maybe a local dealer has swapped out for something agressive for an upgraded package truck?) who would let you borrow their take-off wheels and tires and swap them on to see if you notice a difference, and would be a minimum of hassle.

The problem here is that it isn't just the tires but also the shocks and likely springs which are different.

I'd let a little air out of those tires first and see if your opinion changes.
Thank you for your detailed reply. Good stuff

DeanKing

Reaction score
This doesn't answer your question on tires but the specs for the off road package indicate heavy duty front and rear shocks that lifts the truck an extra inch. That and the ELocker were the reasons I didn't get that (but I did opt for skid plates cause I still want to drive over stuff). Wouldn't the suspension setup impact the ride quality more than a few extra treads or rubber in a tire? I would think tire patterns would add vibration or noise but the ability to soak up bumps is more tied to the shocks.

In other words, how much are new shocks vs. new tires if you really want to spend some money changing the ride?

I ordered the 22's for the reason stated: they look better. Something bothers me about a big empty wheel well. Need to fill 'em up!

ryelinek

Reaction score
A lot of good points and info here. Just to throw in my two cents on my truck which had the air suspension and 22” wheels.

It’s probably the smoothest ride I’ve ever had and almost every person that has ridden in it truck or non truck person has made a comment about how great and smooth the ride quality is. Could not be happier with it

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A lot of good points and info here. Just to throw in my two cents on my truck which had the air suspension and 22” wheels.

It’s probably the smoothest ride I’ve ever had and almost every person that has ridden in it truck or non truck person has made a comment about how great and smooth the ride quality is. Could not be happier with it

Hope it is just as smooth on the rough roads of New England!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Hmm... Air pressure too high perhaps? I have 22" wheels and my truck rides like a dream, even in horrific Houston roads.

da_Vinci_of_sorts

Reaction score
I'll jump on with the air pressure check. Our Truck had a different PSI in all 5 tires and none of them was right at delivery. They were all WAY overinflated.

Tmcb

Reaction score
Thank you. I took the pressure down to 40psi and it rides much better.

da_Vinci_of_sorts

Reaction score
Front and rear pressures should be different. My wife has the truck today so I can't check to verify the exact numbers, but our Rebel has a 10 pound difference front VS rear (rear lower).

Users who are viewing this thread