5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Recommendations for New Owner

Jszlaga

Reaction score
Hello All,

Purchased my first truck ever, a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited, at the end of summer. Not sure if I just don’t know how to drive a truck yet or these tires are horrible, but even with a slight drizzle on 2 wheel drive I don’t get much traction at all. Considering this, I’m looking for some new tires as I’m sure the Chicago snow will be here soon.

I like the look of the knobby all terrain tires but as my friends put it my truck is a “pavement princess” and will hardly if ever be off road. It is my daily driver and I’m mostly doing city or highway driving. Was hoping to get some recommendations on tires that will give me the all terrain look but still not be too loud and uncomfortable when doing my daily driving. All thoughts appreciated.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A few more I've had direct experience with and are great tires:

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3: I ran these on our '12 Titan, '12 Ram and '19 Colorado. Never in the snow with them, but they shined everywhere else.

Toyo Open Country A/T III: Running these now. Seem to be excellent on any surface I've been on (still no snow experience)

Falken Wildpeak A/T 3: A close friend runs these on his F-250 and hauls a big 5th wheel all over the country. He loves them... and he's been in the white stuff with them.

Johnny_H

Reaction score
285/45/R22 Continental Terrain Contact AT - Stock 22'' Replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello All,

Purchased my first truck ever, a 2021 Ram 1500 Limited, at the end of summer. Not sure if I just don’t know how to drive a truck yet or these tires are horrible, but even with a slight drizzle on 2 wheel drive I don’t get much traction at all. Considering this, I’m looking for some new tires as I’m sure the Chicago snow will be here soon.

I like the look of the knobby all terrain tires but as my friends put it my truck is a “pavement princess” and will hardly if ever be off road. It is my daily driver and I’m mostly doing city or highway driving. Was hoping to get some recommendations on tires that will give me the all terrain look but still not be too loud and uncomfortable when doing my daily driving. All thoughts appreciated.
Are you getting winter tire and rim package? If you are you are better to go to an 18 inch tire and rim assembly, it will save you money. 22” are very expensive.

Jszlaga

Reaction score
Are you getting winter tire and rim package? If you are you are better to go to an 18 inch tire and rim assembly, it will save you money. 22” are very expensive.
No, keeping my rims. Just swapping tires.

BNeal

Reaction score

These are the ones I went with and I love them. Just enough aggression on the tread to make it look better, but not so much you look like a serious off-roader. Consumer Reports gives them their highest rating. This is my daily driver as well.

sessman

Reaction score

This. Consumer Reports rates them #1 over the Michelin defenders and they'll be my next tires.

drumminj

Reaction score
Cooper Discoverer AT/3 4S
Firestone Destination A/T2
Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T

OP I know you already got new tires, but for anyone else with the same question, I put the Coopers on my truck and have been very impressed with them in the rain/wet. No hydroplaning, no slipping in turns, etc.

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far, enjoying the look/ride/sound of the 305 45r22 Nitto Ridge Grapplers.

Attachments

• 68A79D21-96CB-460C-A352-3F4063D6B730.jpeg
    68A79D21-96CB-460C-A352-3F4063D6B730.jpeg
    304.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 72BA3C22-826E-4DAC-B0B4-E7CA4ECFCEA5.jpeg
    72BA3C22-826E-4DAC-B0B4-E7CA4ECFCEA5.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 96
  • E4E1795D-B699-4806-9122-4F6F594C5681.jpeg
    E4E1795D-B699-4806-9122-4F6F594C5681.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 96

Jszlaga

Reaction score
OP I know you already got new tires, but for anyone else with the same question, I put the Coopers on my truck and have been very impressed with them in the rain/wet. No hydroplaning, no slipping in turns, etc.
Thanks. It was actually between the Coopers and the Continentals for me. The Continentals got better ratings for highway driving so that’s what made them the winners for me.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. It was actually between the Coopers and the Continentals for me. The Continentals got better ratings for highway driving so that’s what made them the winners for me.
I have the continental Terrain Contact HT's. By far the best rain tires I have ever had, slight nudge over the Michelin's which I have ran a few sets of and are also good tires.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
If going 20” Continental Terrain Contact H/T, instead of the 113T Passenger sidewall, consider choosing the Load Range XL 117H sidewall if towing. The added sidewall strength will improve handling and not produce as stiff a ride that a Load Range E tire would.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
I live in Minnesota and had the same problem as you. My original tires were junk for traction, mine would spin with a couple drops of rain. I went with the Michelin Defender and love them in the snow. I drive 50K a year almost all highway.
Let us know how you like your new tires after you have had them a while.

wvinson

Reaction score
What about the General Grabber's UHP 305/45/22? I love mine and they're not loud, look aggressive, awesome grip, and very inexpensive. I've had them for 10k miles and they still look new.

Users who are viewing this thread