5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Pressure

klail

Reaction score
Just got my offrd group ram and my low tire press came on. 2 tires were at 30-31 psi. The dash reads fill to 38 psi im gonna fill all to 40 it was 5 deg this am upstate NY.
I'm with you on that. I have mine filled to 40psi and see how this set of tires treats me. I can always adjust down the road depending on the wear at the first or second tire rotation.

racer3207

Reaction score
I’ve always gone by what the sticker on the door says. Dealers are notorious for over filling. Not sure why...
Vehicles are shipped from the assembly plant with the tires at (or close to) the max sidewall pressure, not the placard pressure, to reduce flat spotting when vehicles sit in the same spot on the lot for weeks on end. More of an issue under hot sun during the summer. The dealer is supposed to air them down to placard when a customer takes delivery, but I think that rarely happens.

Last edited:

Jordan2929

Reaction score
For a radial tire to have the "rubber round at the top of the tire while driving" would take a massive amount of air pressure/overloading the tire. 51 PSI would not stretch the steel cords under the tread of the tire.

George Bednar

Reaction score
I've not used this yet but I'm still not sure how it would work since the sensors seem to need a few rotations to accurately reflect any change in pressure as @The_Chemist reported above. Every previous vehicle I've owned required a little driving to display as well.
Anyone actually used the tire fill alert yet?

Yes I have used the fill alert and it worked perfectly on the 2 tires requiring air due to a significant temperature drop.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Vehicles are shipped from the assembly plant with the tires at (or close to) the max sidewall pressure, not the placard pressure, to reduce flat spotting when vehicles sit in the same spot on the lot for weeks on end. More of an issue under hot sun during the summer. The dealer is supposed to air them down to placard when a customer takes delivery, but I think that rarely happens.
Understood, but I that’s not what I’m referring to...

I am talking about dealers airing up tires every time I have taken a vehicle for service, oil changes, etc. Does not matter what mfg. They always over air, like 5-10 psi over.

gturtle34

Reaction score
I have 22" factory rims. Found tire pressure to be around 49 PSI from factory. Had a tire replaced (1K) and dealership set it at 38. Door jam states 36 PSI. Tire sidewall says 50 PSI max. I then went and set all tires at 40 PSI. I am not sure if door jam PSI is adjusted for my 22' rim and tire package. I will try 40 PSI and see how they look after 10K miles.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I have 22" factory rims. Found tire pressure to be around 49 PSI from factory. Had a tire replaced (1K) and dealership set it at 38. Door jam states 36 PSI. Tire sidewall says 50 PSI max. I then went and set all tires at 40 PSI. I am not sure if door jam PSI is adjusted for my 22' rim and tire package. I will try 40 PSI and see how they look after 10K miles.
Door sticker is tailored for whatever wheel/tire configuration the vehicle comes from the factory.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I set my fronts to 40 and the rears to 42 and that feels better than the 36 they were set to from the dealer. Mileage is settling in at about 17.6 MPG now which also makes me very happy since gas prices have been creeping up.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
My Laramie Longhorn has 32 psi front and rear printed on the door jamb sticker. I have been running around 33 - 34 psi front and rear according to my gauge.

Viper67

Reaction score
You need to weigh ‘your’ truck. Find out how much the front axle is and then the rear. Then work the math to figure out what each side is by dividing.

So if your truck is 6000lbs, and 3100 is front and 2900 is rear. Then the front is 1550lbs per side and the rear is 1450 per side.

Now go to your tire manufacturer and look at what the size type tire should have to that weight. Air to that spec. Adjust as needed for hauling etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
You need to weigh ‘your’ truck. Find out how much the front axle is and then the rear. Then work the math to figure out what each side is by dividing.

So if your truck is 6000lbs, and 3100 is front and 2900 is rear. Then the front is 1550lbs per side and the rear is 1450 per side.

Now go to your tire manufacturer and look at what the size type tire should have to that weight. Air to that spec. Adjust as needed for hauling etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Or... you can just follow the sticker and be done with it. :p

Reactions: Vic

Viper67

Reaction score
Following the yellow sticker will get you close. But you could be 5 over or under. I like to be right on. But then, I get outstanding tire wear.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Falken Wildpeak A/T tires with 20" wheels now - door jamb is for 18" wheels so not positive what to fill them to - 51 is the max psi

trainman

Reaction score
Would someone please tell me how do get to the tire pressure readout on the dash, I tried every button on the steering wheel and can't find it, I know it works, because I had a low tire and it can on.

trainman

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Would someone please tell me how do get to the tire pressure readout on the dash, I tried every button on the steering wheel and can't find it, I know it works, because I had a low tire and it can on.

trainman
You cycle up/down until you find the engine monitoring screen (fluit temps, oil life, battery, etc) then use left/right arrows until you see the TMPS screen.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I go by what the sticker on the doors says although I usually keep the rears about 2psi less then the fronts as thier is less weight on the back tires.

teamroper60

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but if you air up to the max psi (for towing or whatever) does the TPMS light come on? My sticker says 36psi but that just seems too low for towing my boat.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but if you air up to the max psi (for towing or whatever) does the TPMS light come on? My sticker says 36psi but that just seems too low for towing my boat.
I have had mine as high as 42 and my TPMS never came on

Users who are viewing this thread