5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire Pressure

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Picked up my new long awaited Longhorn from the dealer Tuesday night. I noticed all 4 tires are set to right around 40 psi. I have the off road package with Falken all terrain tires.

I looked on the door jamb sticker and the yellow tire sticker in the door jamb. Both state 32 psi front and rear.

My question: Should I air-down the cold tire pressure to 32 psi?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The PSI on the door jamb is what the vehicle manufacturer claims will provide the 'best' ride... not necessarily what is best for the tire.

The issue with going with max PSI (50?) on the tire is a stiffer sidewall and a smaller contact patch... I'm running them at 40 and I find it a better ride. If I were to load up the truck, I would certainly fill them up to 50...

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked up my new long awaited Longhorn from the dealer Tuesday night. I noticed all 4 tires are set to right around 40 psi. I have the off road package with Falken all terrain tires.

I looked on the door jamb sticker and the yellow tire sticker in the door jamb. Both state 32 psi front and rear.

My question: Should I air-down the cold tire pressure to 32 psi?

I've been playing with this exact issue. Dealer had it at 40 psi. I tried 32 and the front tires just looked way too low. I'm running closer to 36 now. It definitely rides better than 40 and I didn't notice a drop in MPG.
The other thing to manage is that even with the RamBox weight back there, the rears just don't need as much air as the fronts. and with the 3.92 it's so easy to break the rear end loose. Extra air back there just makes it worse.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm coming from a truck that had E-rated (80 psi) tires that I "aired down" to 55 psi when unloaded, so this new Ram with 35-40 psi feels less stable in the twisties than my old truck. When I top them off, I'll likely shoot for 40 psi or higher to maintain fuel economy and cornering stability.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I've been playing with this exact issue. Dealer had it at 40 psi. I tried 32 and the front tires just looked way too low. I'm running closer to 36 now. It definitely rides better than 40 and I didn't notice a drop in MPG.
The other thing to manage is that even with the RamBox weight back there, the rears just don't need as much air as the fronts. and with the 3.92 it's so easy to break the rear end loose. Extra air back there just makes it worse.
I aired mine down to 35 psi at 6 am this morning before leaving for work.

The ride quality is so much better.

I used a digital gauge to check as I let air out. Strangely, the TPMS does not agree with my digital gauge. And even worse, my digital gauge read the same at each wheel. The TPMS does not. Even if my gauge was off, I'd think that it would read the same on each tire.

It also took a while for the truck's TPMS to change to the new psi after I aired down. It wasn't instantaneous. I had to drive a little bit before before the system displayed the new values.

So these trucks can honk the horn when you are adjusting tire pressure and you achieve the optimum psi. How does that work? Do you have to have the engine running? That would create heat and change the pressure... Plus, my TPMS did not read pressure change in real time.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
and with the 3.92 it's so easy to break the rear end loose. Extra air back there just makes it worse.

i am having to get used to the power of the 5.7 after driving my '15 EcoDiesel. shoot, with the 3.21 rear its real easy for the rear to break loose, especially on wet roads.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So these trucks can honk the horn when you are adjusting tire pressure and you achieve the optimum psi. How does that work? Do you have to have the engine running?

Tire Fill Alert This feature notifies the user when the placard tire pressure is attained while inflating or deflating the tire.

The customer may choose to disable or enable the Tire Fill Alert feature through use of the customer settings in the radio.

NOTE: • Only one tire can be filled at a time when using the Tire Fill Alert system.

• The Tire Fill Alert feature cannot be entered if an existing TPM system fault is set to “active” or if the system is in deactivation mode (if equipped). The system will be activated when there is over 1.5 psi (10 kPa) of change in tire pressure.

The ignition must be in the RUN mode, with the transmission in PARK (P).

NOTE: It is not required to have the engine running to enter Tire Fill Alert mode.

The hazard lamps will come on to confirm the vehicle is in Tire Fill Alert mode. When Tire Fill Alert Mode is entered, the tire pressure display screen will be displayed in the instrument cluster.

Operation:

• The horn will chirp to let the user know when to stop filling the tire, when it reaches recommended pressure.

• The horn will chirp three times if the tire is over filled and will continue to chirp every five seconds if the user continues to inflate the tire.

• The horn will chirp once again when enough air is let out to reach proper inflation level. • The horn will also chirp three times if the tire is then under-inflated and will continue to chirp every five seconds if the user continues to deflate the tire.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tire Fill Alert This feature notifies the user when the placard tire pressure is attained while inflating or deflating the tire.

The customer may choose to disable or enable the Tire Fill Alert feature through use of the customer settings in the radio.

NOTE: • Only one tire can be filled at a time when using the Tire Fill Alert system.

• The Tire Fill Alert feature cannot be entered if an existing TPM system fault is set to “active” or if the system is in deactivation mode (if equipped). The system will be activated when there is over 1.5 psi (10 kPa) of change in tire pressure.

NOTE: It is not required to have the engine running to enter Tire Fill Alert mode.

The hazard lamps will come on to confirm the vehicle is in Tire Fill Alert mode. When Tire Fill Alert Mode is entered, the tire pressure display screen will be displayed in the instrument cluster.

Operation:

• The horn will chirp to let the user know when to stop filling the tire, when it reaches recommended pressure.

• The horn will chirp three times if the tire is over filled and will continue to chirp every five seconds if the user continues to inflate the tire.

• The horn will chirp once again when enough air is let out to reach proper inflation level. • The horn will also chirp three times if the tire is then under-inflated and will continue to chirp every five seconds if the user continues to deflate the tire.

I've not used this yet but I'm still not sure how it would work since the sensors seem to need a few rotations to accurately reflect any change in pressure as @The_Chemist reported above. Every previous vehicle I've owned required a little driving to display as well.
Anyone actually used the tire fill alert yet?

The_Chemist

Reaction score

Operation:

Thanks. You saved me from reading the manual! Most appreciated! Not that I'm lazy

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Look at the tire size sticker and see if it matches what you actually have. My ORP door label listed 20” rims while I had 18” rims.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Look at the tire size sticker and see if it matches what you actually have. My ORP door label listed 20” rims while I had 18” rims.
Oh wow, I'll definitely check that out! My truck has two stickers. The silver one for the vehicle and a separate yellow and white one specifically for the tires. I'll have to check and make sure the wheel size is correct.

RT70808

Reaction score
My 20” off-road Group came 40 from the dealer as well. I think it rides just fine. Now with some cooler weather I’m seeing 36-37 on the dash. I’m not going to a adjust anything.

Dredram

Reaction score
Just got my offrd group ram and my low tire press came on. 2 tires were at 30-31 psi. The dash reads fill to 38 psi im gonna fill all to 40 it was 5 deg this am upstate NY.

cw_mi

Reaction score
I've got the Offroad package and 20" Falkens. The truck was delivered with them aired to 37lbs. Sure it road nice but handled like a 70's full size Mopar 4 door sedan. I've aired them to the max on the side of the tire, 51lbs and the truck feels so much more stable.
At 37lbs it looks like the tire was almost rolling over on the sidewall...I see no benefits to it, other than the tire running warmer and wearing out faster.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’ve always gone by what the sticker on the door says. Dealers are notorious for over filling. Not sure why...

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got the Offroad package and 20" Falkens. The truck was delivered with them aired to 37lbs. Sure it road nice but handled like a 70's full size Mopar 4 door sedan. I've aired them to the max on the side of the tire, 51lbs and the truck feels so much more stable.
At 37lbs it looks like the tire was almost rolling over on the sidewall...I see no benefits to it, other than the tire running warmer and wearing out faster.

unless you are carrying the max load listed for the tires, inflating to the max pressure is just as bad for the tire as low air.

a pound or two over/under the door sticker should be good. you are driving a 6k lb. truck, it may infact handle as you stated.

What happens if you inflate your tires to the max PSI?
  • The handling characteristics change
    Since tires inflated to the max can’t give as much on the sidewall, you might see superior cornering, but it could be at the risk of your braking threshold. One quick corner and your back end could slide out.
  • The life of your tire decreases. When your tires are inflated too much, the rubber rounds out at the top of the tire when you’re driving, and the center will quickly wear out. You’ll also reduce your traction and you could even cause a blowout.

cw_mi

Reaction score
unless you are carrying the max load listed for the tires, inflating to the max pressure is just as bad for the tire as low air.

a pound or two over/under the door sticker should be good. you are driving a 6k lb. truck, it may infact handle as you stated.

What happens if you inflate your tires to the max PSI?
  • The handling characteristics change
    Since tires inflated to the max can’t give as much on the sidewall, you might see superior cornering, but it could be at the risk of your braking threshold. One quick corner and your back end could slide out.
  • The life of your tire decreases. When your tires are inflated too much, the rubber rounds out at the top of the tire when you’re driving, and the center will quickly wear out. You’ll also reduce your traction and you could even cause a blowout.
The last 5 vehicles i've owned (since '01) i've done the same thing with no adverse effects, and seem to get the maximum amount of miles on each set of tires.
Also, i live in MI, we have pot holes the size Prius's here. I have yet to damage a wheel, my wife on the other hand leaves the recommended air pressure in her tires and we've had to buy a wheel on each of her last two vehicles. She could just be aiming for them though...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread