5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire pressure issue with ram 1500 OEM aluminum wheels?

mtt582

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with losing tire pressure without any punctures being in the tire? I took it to the dealer and bought a brand new tire. The new tire is not losing as much pressure as my old one but it is still happening and it’s only going to get worse ( just like the first one). The dealer soaked the tire in solution and said they couldn’t find the source of the leak. That’s as much as they were willing to do. The truck is still under warranty and I know that tires, wheel alignment, and wheel balancing are specifically mentioned as not being covered but this seems like it should be. Am I wrong?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with losing tire pressure without any punctures being in the tire? I took it to the dealer and bought a brand new tire. The new tire is not losing as much pressure as my old one but it is still happening and it’s only going to get worse ( just like the first one). The dealer soaked the tire in solution and said they couldn’t find the source of the leak. That’s as much as they were willing to do. The truck is still under warranty and I know that tires, wheel alignment, and wheel balancing are specifically mentioned as not being covered but this seems like it should be. Am I wrong?
The only time I've had this on another vehicle is due to corrosion on the wheel causing a bad seal on the tire bead. They needed to clean off the corrosion.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How fast is it leaking down?
Is it the tire that is leaking, could be that he rim casting has a flaw or the valve/stem is leaking.

mtt582

Reaction score
My. “
How fast is it leaking down?
Is it the tire that is leaking, could be that he rim casting has a flaw or the valve/stem is leaking.

old” tire was leaking from 39 psi to 22 psi by the end of my 10 hour work day. At night it would drop as low as 13 psi. I just had this new tire put on yesterday and it’s already down 3 psi. I know that’s not a significant amount but it just means a new tire didn’t fix my problem.

mtt582

Reaction score
The only time I've had this on another vehicle is due to corrosion on the wheel causing a bad seal on the tire bead. They needed to clean off the corrosion.
I don’t know if all dealership mechanics are like this because this is the first and probably only time I’m buying a car new, but they seem very annoyed when I asked them to do anything past spraying the tire. Like a tire spray test is actually their final solution 🙄. If it wasn’t for the factory warranty I would never step foot in that place again.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
take the wheel and tire back to the place you bought it from and have them put it in a tub of water and watch for bubbles

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My. “

old” tire was leaking from 39 psi to 22 psi by the end of my 10 hour work day. At night it would drop as low as 13 psi. I just had this new tire put on yesterday and it’s already down 3 psi. I know that’s not a significant amount but it just means a new tire didn’t fix my problem.
Way too much of a pressure drop. Take soapy water and a brush to the wheel unit in question, look for bubbles.

mtt582

Reaction score
Way too much of a pressure drop. Take soapy water and a brush to the wheel unit in question, look for bubbles.
Haha that’s what they did and they said they could see where any air was escaping. they literally thought I was making it up till I showed them pictures. I asked them what the next step is and they were clueless so I just bought a new tire. But now the same thing is happening. I’m pretty sure they didn’t test the new tire before they put it on though.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Haha that’s what they did and they said they could see where any air was escaping. they literally thought I was making it up till I showed them pictures. I asked them what the next step is and they were clueless so I just bought a new tire. But now the same thing is happening. I’m pretty sure they didn’t test the new tire before they put it on though.
Take it off the the truck, cover everything with DAWN dish washing soap and watch the bubbles form.

Users who are viewing this thread