5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire failure - premature

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh yes the Michelin LTX is another great option in the highway tire game. Swing by an auto parts store and get a tire tread depth gauge. It doesn’t need to be fancy it just needs to work. Measure your tires on the outer tread and center tread and four spaces across.
Tire pressure fluctuates a lot depending on the outside ambient temperature. Our oil change intervals and tire rotation intervals are so far apart are tire pressures can change dramatically in between services. If the tires are wearing more in the center let a little air out.
If you find you have more tread in the center, let’s say 9/32 center and 7/32 on the inner and outer blocks Then while you’re driving down the road you don’t have enough air pressure in the tire and the center is actually lifting and your riding more on the inner and outer edges of the tread so add a couple pounds.

Tires really do require more maintenance and attention then what they are given. Dealerships and tire stores make a lot of money as a result from it. Preventative maintenance is becoming a lost art...
I have a air compressor and I adjust accordingly to the temperature change as I’ve seen a swing of 10 psi from fall to middle of winter here in Iowa. They have for the most part been between 35-40 for 99% of the 6000 miles!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thank you for all the replies. Not encouraging
The wear in in the center of the tire. but the gauge shows they are usually btw 32-36 psi not overinflated.
I have to take it in for service and see what they say. but not really holding out hope, as per these comments.

what are good alternative tires if I have to exchange them?
Take a close up shot of the wear. Is one side feathering in one direction. too much or less toe can cause the same kind of wear.

the tires are set pigeon toed just a bit for better traction. At speed the straighten out, but it also mkes this particular pattern of wear.

Some service advisors will set you up for an "alignment" but really its called a toe and go, they don't check anything just set toe to spec and push you out without checking the whole truck.

My suggestion would be to have an laser alignment done at a quality 3rd party shop or body shop that gives you a printout of everything. If it is way off take the printout and the bill back to your dealer and start playing hardball. You can also ask to have the toe set to much less so it is more true and the tires will wear much less.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a air compressor and I adjust accordingly to the temperature change as I’ve seen a swing of 10 psi from fall to middle of winter here in Iowa. They have for the most part been between 35-40 for 99% of the 6000 miles!
Its nuts how much it changes. Nitrogen filled tires are still a scam and change just as much. I made a 5 way tap and a locking air connector for each tire for less than $100 and I can now hook up all four tires and air them up and down all with the exact same PSI. With a good dryer on the compressor it is much better than the nitrogen scam.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its nuts how much it changes. Nitrogen filled tires are still a scam and change just as much. I made a 5 way tap and a locking air connector for each tire for less than $100 and I can now hook up all four tires and air them up and down all with the exact same PSI. With a good dryer on the compressor it is much better than the nitrogen scam.
I agree, the nitrogen filled lost as much pressure as normal air tires I’ve always had!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Page 521 owner's manual:
Check tire pressures more often if subject to a wide range of outdoor temperatures, as tire pressures vary with temperature changes. Tire pressures change by approximately 1 psi (7 kPa) per 12°F (7°C) of air temperature change. Keep this in mind when checking tire pressure inside a garage, especially in the Winter. Example: If garage temperature = 68°F (20°C) and the outside temperature = 32°F (0°C) then the cold tire inflation pressure should be increased by 3 psi (21 kPa), which equals 1 psi (7 kPa) for every 12°F (7°C) for this outside temperature condition.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Well that’s good you’re checking the pressures often, but still measure the tread depth across to get the full picture. Sounds to me like these tires are done anyways so it’s pointless at this point but on your next set measure the tread depth across the face of each tire roughly every thousand miles to monitor how they are wearing.

The cold pressure on the tire sticker on the side of the door is a great point of reference but it’s there for safety and legality not for perfect tire wear.

AcerOne

Reaction score
I worked for Dodge for 5 years and the complaints I heard regarding the OE Ram tires were endless. I didnt pay much attention until I got my first Ram and the Goodyear SRA's lasted 25,000KMS - not miles) with no towing. The OE tires are just like the name Goodyear states... Good-for-a-year. They are engineered to run smooth and quiet for the initial ownership period and then it is up to you, the driver to determine what kind of tire you need. I ran the Yokohama G015 on my old Ram and went straight into them again on my '19 and I couldnt be happier. I assure you the dealership has heard this so many times that if they gave in to every complaint they received on the OE tires, they'd be broke.

EDDOC

Reaction score
Spoke with Goodyear and thy offered a "good faith" discount where the tire and mounting will be just shy of $700.
I can get the Michelin LTX for $1100.
I would like to save the money but after the 15K performance I have no confidence on the same tires.
Don't want to have a repeat expenditure in 1 year again

Users who are viewing this thread