5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tire failure - premature

EDDOC

Reaction score
I have a 2019 limited with 15k miles and the rear tires are already bald. My last oil change dealer said I didn’t need to rotate the tires... should not have listened to them.
I bought the truck Jan of last year.
Is this a premature failure? My driving consists only of highway and street driving to work and back in south Florida.

is this a premature failure of the factory tires? Less than 20k miles seems awful short life span.
I wonder if it would be covered under warranty?

what are good replacement tires if I have to bite the bullet and get new tires?
tires would be on road only With . Low gas consumption.
I go down boat ramps so I need a little traction there, but not pulling anything heavy - just a jet ski
Thanks

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is 0 warranty on tires from manufacturer, no mileage, nothing. They only replace tires to rule out other issues. Your best bet would be to complain, but they will likely throw it back at you as needing an alignment, not doing rotations unless theres a magic TSB for some issue. It's too late now often this is caused by the tire "walking" on the bead and moving around the rim. You mark the tires and see if the marks misalign. That's a huge cost and lemon lawable.

Even if the same tire has a 70,000 miles treadlife warranty when purchased at retail, the manufacturer tires have 0 miles. they guarantee nothing.

I lost a tire to a sidewall bubble, a obvious defect with a VW TDi with only 180 miles on it, and I ended up having to sue VWoA for the cost of the tire. They adamantly would not cover it. That's probably your only choice is to claim an implied warranty and unfit for purpose, that the tire should last XXXXXX miles per the tire manufacturer and sue for damages in small claims.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2019 limited with 15k miles and the rear tires are already bald. My last oil change dealer said I didn’t need to rotate the tires... should not have listened to them.
Is this a premature failure? My driving consists only of highway and street driving to work and back in south Florida.

is this a premature failure of the factory tires? Less than 20k miles seems awful short life span.

I go down boat ramps so I need a little traction there, but not pulling anything heavy - just a jet ski
Thanks
Mine stared to wear funny on the outer edges at 2000 miles it was noticeable. Tires have been rebalanced 5 times, rotated at 3500 miles, always had 35-40 psi, rack and pinion replaced, alignment done at 3900 miles. I asked for new tires and they tell me it’s normal wear. I’ve owned 10 new vehicles in my life and 5 used and I’ve never had tire issues like this. I bought this truck new with 32 miles on it. It now has 6000 miles with all tires worn funny on outer edges. Going back to 3rd dealer now for same issues 7th time in 6 months. Also I’m told only one alignment is covered under warranty. If something is wrong with truck or tires a alignment should be covered under factory warranty. I’m guessing the truck you bought was having same issues and that’s why they got rid of it? Anyway, sorry about your issues, good luck! I’m discovering no only really cares!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Thanks
That's not the fault of the tire...you have something more going on here my friend. A rotation would not have helped in this case, but I do get mine rotated every 5K miles at my oil change. If you want a great set of tires, get a set of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it is scalloping the tires, it's an alignment or frame issue. Truck may be dogtracking or crabbing.

f3488769756e0df2e1c58959ba823aad.jpg

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine stared to wear funny on the outer edges at 2000 miles it was noticeable. Tires have been rebalanced 5 times, rotated at 3500 miles, always had 35-40 psi, rack and pinion replaced, alignment done at 3900 miles. I asked for new tires and they tell me it’s normal wear. I’ve owned 10 new vehicles in my life and 5 used and I’ve never had tire issues like this. I bought this truck new with 32 miles on it. It now has 6000 miles with all tires worn funny on outer edges. Going back to 3rd dealer now for same issues 7th time in 6 months. Also I’m told only one alignment is covered under warranty. If something is wrong with truck or tires a alignment should be covered under factory warranty. I’m guessing the truck you bought was having same issues and that’s why they got rid of it? Anyway, sorry about your issues, good luck! I’m discovering no only really cares!
if they cant or wont fix it, lemon law it, get a new truck. they've had enough attempts. send the notice of defect and see what happens.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if they cant or wont fix it, lemon law it, get a new truck. they've had enough attempts. send the notice of defect and see what happens.
Last dealer says it’s fix and there’s nothing more they can do. When I call ram care, they tell me the dealers are trained on this stuff and we have to go with what they say! So that’s why I’m going to my 3rd dealership now. I threaten lemon law a month ago that when they replaced rack and pinion. But yes I know about that law and I’m one call away!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see where they gave a guy $10,000 To shut up about it, but no new truck and he still has same issues!

RAM5

Reaction score
I had an issue just 3 weeks ago...my 2019 Ram that had just a bit over 12,000 miles on the clock. The factory tire treads on all 4 were were worn almost to the wear bars...my dealership said “ warranty for tires is 12,000 miles and we will not replace, you will have to drive to a Bridgestone Dealer and discuss your issue with them”
well, I wasn’t accepting that comment, so I called FCA and started a case.

FCA needed to contact the dealership to discuss our case and before I new it...the dealership call me the back a week later and said “ we have some takeoffs from another ram with 4K on the clock and to come in today and we’ll pull your off, install the takeoffs, balance them and it will all be done at No Charge!.

i feel like that time the customer (Me) came first instead of the strict warranty that they wanted to follow....Thank you Ram!!

i believe the original tires had a manufacturing compound issue...I never had a new truck (except for this one) that the new tires completely worn out as quick as these did

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had an issue just 3 weeks ago...my 2019 Ram that had just a bit over 12,000 miles on the clock. The factory tire treads on all 4 were were worn almost to the wear bars...my dealership said “ warranty for tires is 12,000 miles and we will not replace, you will have to drive to a Bridgestone Dealer and discuss your issue with them”

FCA needed to contact the dealership to discuss our case and before I new it...the dealership call me the back a week later and said “ we have some takeoffs from another ram with 4K on the clock and to come in today and we’ll pull your off, install the takeoffs, balance them and it will all be done at No Charge!.

i feel like that time the customer (Me) came first instead of the strict warranty that they wanted to follow....Thank you Ram!!

i believe the original tires had a manufacturing compound issue...I never had a new truck (except for this one) that the new tires completely worn out as quick as these did
Yes...but if your old tires wore prematurely...so will the new ones. Changing tires will not fix your issue. It may look like you're being taken care of but you're not!!!

RAM5

Reaction score
I failed to mention...the dealership did check the alignment before putting the takeoffs on. I’m hoping they caught an alignment issue and these tires will wear normally. I will know on the next rotation at the dealership.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’ve had 10 new vehicles factory tires have always lasted at least 40,000 miles. Same driving habits I’ve always had and I’m the only driver!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I failed to mention...the dealership did check the alignment before putting the takeoffs on. I’m hoping they caught an alignment issue and these tires will wear normally. I will know on the next rotation at the dealership.
Do you have a vibration at all. They replaced my rack and pinion at 3900 said it was faulty.

EDDOC

Reaction score
thank you for all the replies. Not encouraging
The wear in in the center of the tire. but the gauge shows they are usually btw 32-36 psi not overinflated.
I have to take it in for service and see what they say. but not really holding out hope, as per these comments.

what are good alternative tires if I have to exchange them?

Zoompastu

Reaction score
I was a service advisor for ram and I’ve been in the auto industry for 16 years. The factory tires that come on these trucks are junk and there are a lot of things that can affect it. Hot climate will wear the tires faster. Having weight in the bed or towing will wear the tires faster. Not rotating the tires every oil change will wear the tires faster. I’m sorry my friend but you just need to get new tires. This is not a Ram or FCA problem.

This is common with a lot of auto manufacturers. They get a bid From tire companies that compete to put the tires on the vehicles from the factory. The auto manufacturers select the cheapest one. A lot of tire manufacturers will modify their rubber compound to save money. Not every time but most of the time this is the case. Bridgestone & Firestone OEM products are notorious for this. The OEM Hankook tires on my wife’s brand new mini Cooper were at the wear bars around 20,000 miles, so I feel your pain.

Toyo highway tire or AT3 will give you good life. Yokohama H/T or G015 AT is also long lasting. I love the Falken AT3w and they also have good life but are heavier and have more rolling resistance.

Always do a tire rotation every 3000 to 5000 miles and sooner is better than later.

This is not a lemon law issue. Aseras posts on here all the time about seeking lawsuits, lemon law, and other things that is just bad advice and or not factual or possible. He brags about doing his own work, modifying his oil system and voiding his warranty to try and save a few bucks. I’m not one to call someone out but when their opinion is marketed as fact it spreads false information. We don’t need that or any negativity.

So like anything on the Internet take everyone’s posts with a grain of salt but there are a lot of us on here that have experience that try to help the community as much as we can.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
thank you for all the replies. Not encouraging
The wear in in the center of the tire. but the gauge shows they are usually btw 32-36 psi not overinflated.
I have to take it in for service and see what they say. but not really holding out hope, as per these comments.

what are good alternative tires if I have to exchange them?
What @Zoompastu said...excellent response! In addition, the correct pressure, at least for my Limited is 36...not 32-36 but 36. My truck came with crap Goodyears and I replaced them with a high quality Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

RJS

Reaction score
At my age I'm a realist, there's a lot of complaining that one can do but because they weren't rotated and are on the rear I can see avenues for the dealer/Ram to fight any warranty that may be there. I suspect there is little at 15K miles, anyway.

My 14 came with SRA's like most 1500's did and at 20K they wouldn't make it through another winter so I replaced them with Michelin LTX's and at 72K miles when I traded it in I still had plenty of tread. Same truck, same driver.

I'd probably try the Bridgestone folks one time IIWM but again, I'm wouldn't have high expectations. Be sure to rotate the new tires at the local tire dealer you buy them and you'll have much better luck in the future.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
Oh yes the Michelin LTX is another great option in the highway tire game. Swing by an auto parts store and get a tire tread depth gauge. It doesn’t need to be fancy it just needs to work. Measure your tires on the outer tread and center tread and four spaces across.
Tire pressure fluctuates a lot depending on the outside ambient temperature. Our oil change intervals and tire rotation intervals are so far apart are tire pressures can change dramatically in between services. If the tires are wearing more in the center let a little air out.
If you find you have more tread in the center, let’s say 9/32 center and 7/32 on the inner and outer blocks Then while you’re driving down the road you don’t have enough air pressure in the tire and the center is actually lifting and your riding more on the inner and outer edges of the tread so add a couple pounds.

Tires really do require more maintenance and attention then what they are given. Dealerships and tire stores make a lot of money as a result from it. Preventative maintenance is becoming a lost art...

Users who are viewing this thread