5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TInted taillights ( Halogen)?

Entes001

Reaction score
If anyone has tinted the halogen taillights may they please share some pictures. I want some visuals before i dare spray them.

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting see this is as well except I was gonna use a film....but I never realized how not smooth the assembly is

Entes001

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting see this is as well except I was gonna use a film....but I never realized how not smooth the assembly is
Film was my first choice as well. Im going to use VHT nightshade, i just want a point a reference or ideas before i spray. Ive seen some people tint the led ones and they look great cause they tape off the reverse lights and what not.

KRField

Reaction score
I have been using vinyl and wrapping stuff for 15 years. I’m not a pro, just hobby. The halogen tail lights are by far the hardest I have attempted. They have a lot of inserts and bump outs that are hard to get air free. I almost had one done after an hour of work. Until I was chasing an air pocket in the turn signal portion and broke through the film since it was over stretched.

VHT can turn out nice with light coats and wet sanding every other coat then a cut and polish.

I may just have my body guy shoot them with a tinted clear.

You can get the OEM tinted led tails for about $500 a piece. The tears are plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
I have been using vinyl and wrapping stuff for 15 years. I’m not a pro, just hobby. The halogen tail lights are by far the hardest I have attempted. They have a lot of inserts and bump outs that are hard to get air free. I almost had one done after an hour of work. Until I was chasing an air pocket in the turn signal portion and broke through the film since it was over stretched.

VHT can turn out nice with light coats and wet sanding every other coat then a cut and polish.

I may just have my body guy shoot them with a tinted clear.

You can get the OEM tinted led tails for about $500 a piece. The tears are plug and play.

$1000 vs $20 ....... I’m not a pro at tinting either but I also don’t make a lot of money. Lol. Have you done the headlights on your truck?

kingkasc

Reaction score
I’m also doing this in spring, turned out great on my 300C. Sanded it, 2 light coats and a clear.

KRField

Reaction score
$1000 vs $20 ....... I’m not a pro at tinting either but I also don’t make a lot of money. Lol. Have you done the headlights on your truck?

Not yet, I’m waiting to decide on what I’m doing with the rears. I think it would look odd with just the headlights done.

The headlights will be simple. I highly recommend https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KGKIGEK/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_9?smid=A10111992WJRYRFBZH9IS&psc=1 for tint film the best and easiest I have worked with.

EJanx07

Reaction score
Not yet, I’m waiting to decide on what I’m doing with the rears. I think it would look odd with just the headlights done.

The headlights will be simple. I highly recommend https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KGKIGEK/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_9?smid=A10111992WJRYRFBZH9IS&psc=1 for tint film the best and easiest I have worked with.

I’m following, because I’m trying to figure out a way, to make my crappy looking Halogen Headlight Assembly’s, look somewhat decent.
For the link you posted (thank you btw), is the film fairly durable? Is this a vinyl type material (thicker than actual window tint or exact same)? The dude demonstrating how to install, makes it look so easy, but I have a feeling he’s done it a few 100 times. Lol
He also used a heat gun, which I’d think would melt through a thin film material. Thanks for the info tho! For how cheap the price is, I’m definitely going to order and I’m gonna give it the Ol’ College Try!

Jleeman9

Reaction score
I used a few coats of plasti dip. Ended up pressure washing it off but I’ll probably try it again this summer except a little lighter. AF402B94-6FE2-44A6-81A1-68FDEAEB4148.jpeg

KRField

Reaction score
I’m following, because I’m trying to figure out a way, to make my crappy looking Halogen Headlight Assembly’s, look somewhat decent.
For the link you posted (thank you btw), is the film fairly durable? Is this a vinyl type material (thicker than actual window tint or exact same)? The dude demonstrating how to install, makes it look so easy, but I have a feeling he’s done it a few 100 times. Lol
He also used a heat gun, which I’d think would melt through a thin film material. Thanks for the info tho! For how cheap the price is, I’m definitely going to order and I’m gonna give it the Ol’ College Try!

It is a thick vinyl and durable. With a heat gun, it’s just to warm the film briefly to make it more pliable. It is one of the easiest films I have worked with. Just keep your fingers off the adhesive that goes on the lens.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Will be buying some of this as soon as I get a few other projects out of the way. Will be applying it to my Ram as well as the wife's Grand Cherokee. Getting it in the Smoke color. The other one seems to be too dark. Going to try the headlights and taillights.

KRField

Reaction score
Will be buying some of this as soon as I get a few other projects out of the way. Will be applying it to my Ram as well as the wife's Grand Cherokee. Getting it in the Smoke color. The other one seems to be too dark. Going to try the headlights and taillights.

The smoked looks good, with good light projection.

LoRAM

Reaction score
Not halogen, but tinted.

Attachments

• 1F270263-8556-450F-A97F-E1D9137DFD98.jpeg
    1F270263-8556-450F-A97F-E1D9137DFD98.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 283

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
I did the headlights on my RAM. I don’t have the led package but this looks awesome. I will be a attempting the taillights next time it warms up. I used the film instead of the spray on. It was a little harder than I was expecting

Attachments

• 62916391-BB42-418D-8063-FE95A08A29C7.jpeg
    62916391-BB42-418D-8063-FE95A08A29C7.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 0A14D318-7535-4162-9DDF-C8336F66FB11.jpeg
    0A14D318-7535-4162-9DDF-C8336F66FB11.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 8B298503-E4B1-4E8E-A1D0-1114B1756B1D.jpeg
    8B298503-E4B1-4E8E-A1D0-1114B1756B1D.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 242

EJanx07

Reaction score
I did the headlights on my RAM. I don’t have the led package but this looks awesome. I will be a attempting the taillights next time it warms up. I used the film instead of the spray on. It was a little harder than I was expecting
Looks good! Is the color “smoke black or black black”? Ijust got my smoke black film from Amazon, so I’m curious as to how it will turn out

j517

Reaction score
Nice

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
Looks good! Is the color “smoke black or black black”? Ijust got my smoke black film from Amazon, so I’m curious as to how it will turn out
I did the VViViD vinyl dark smoke. It’s pretty damn dark. Definitely noticed a difference in light output

Users who are viewing this thread