5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tint % to Match Factory?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What tint did you use in the windshield?
On the ‘21, I got 3m IR 70%. Thursday, on the ‘22 I’m putting on XPEL Prime XR Plus ceramic 75% on the windshield and panoramic roof.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the ‘21, I got 3m IR 70%. Thursday, on the ‘22 I’m putting on XPEL Prime XR Plus ceramic 75% on the windshield and panoramic roof.
Was the 70% too dark at night? I'm torn on what to do with the windshield and panoramic roof.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 70% on my windshield non sunroof truck. It’s virtually clear. Haven’t noticed any lose of output at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Was the 70% too dark at night? I'm torn on what to do with the windshield and panoramic roof.
I thought the 3m 70% was too dark at night. The XPEL is significantly lighter.

Randboye

Reaction score
What tint did you use in the windshield?
I have not done it yet, just acquiring information on others experience. looking at XPEL XR Plus 70%
On page 185 of owners manual it says don't attach transparent material, doing so could cause an ACC system failure or malfunction, then they will say it's not covered under warranty.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not done it yet, just acquiring information on others experience. looking at XPEL XR Plus 70%
On page 185 of owners manual it says don't attach transparent material, doing so could cause an ACC system failure or malfunction, then they will say it's not covered under warranty.
I am not concerned with that at all, I am a dealer tech and work on my own truck. I would say if you brought a truck in w/ a tinted windshield and it was caused by tint, how can they warranty it?

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Remember factory "tint" isn't really tint, it's simply colored glass. It does darken and provide privacy but no UV protection or heat protection.

Having mine done as we speak. 35% on front. Was going to do 15% on back to make it limo dark but chickened out (afraid it would be to dark) and went with 25% in back. Also chickened out on windshield so didn't do anything there.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Once again, that isn’t a factor since tint goes around the DASM.

Randboye

Reaction score
Remember factory "tint" isn't really tint, it's simply colored glass. It does darken and provide privacy but no UV protection or heat protection.

Having mine done as we speak. 35% on front. Was going to do 15% on back to make it limo dark but chickened out (afraid it would be to dark) and went with 25% in back. Also chickened out on windshield so didn't do anything there.
Spoke with dealer accessory dept today about windshield tint that they sell and he said it wouldn't be a issue, it would be ok, they just tint around the box behind the mirror.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spoke with dealer accessory dept today about windshield tint that they sell and he said it wouldn't be a issue, it would be ok, they just tint around the box behind the mirror.
That really wasn't my concern.....in no particular order, worried it may make it more difficult to see at night and at my age I have enough trouble as it is, a lot of water is used in the application and there are a LOT of costly electronics under the dash even my tint guy did his and said he could do it no problem but I still didn't want to chance it, and finally I think, it's illegal in Georgia. I know it a long shot but if I got in a wreck and the other party is trying to say it was my fault and an their attorney found out I had illegal tint it probably would't go well. but that's just me....I can always add it if I change my mind.

Randboye

Reaction score
That really wasn't my concern.....in no particular order, worried it may make it more difficult to see at night and at my age I have enough trouble as it is, a lot of water is used in the application and there are a LOT of costly electronics under the dash even my tint guy did his and said he could do it no problem but I still didn't want to chance it, and finally I think, it's illegal in Georgia. I know it a long shot but if I got in a wreck and the other party is trying to say it was my fault and an their attorney found out I had illegal tint it probably would't go well. but that's just me....I can always add it if I change my mind.
I have some of the same reservations, I have my truck schedule for next Tuesday to do cab sides, front & back, the rear and panoramic sunroof. originally included windshield but canceled that part. I was thinking out loud in my reply on your post, really more commenting on my original post. I had concerns, but the dealer rectified that by saying no issue. Depending on brand 70 or 80 % ceramic tint is pretty light, can barely notice. I was concerned if it effected the sensors/camera. I watch several video's of them tinting a windshield
. This one at Obsessed garage with Martin from Alligator Window Tint. So after speaking with the dealer and asking how my installation from American Detail would be done and how they would protect everything, I think I'm going to change my mine. Not suggestion you should change your mine, you need to do what's best for you. Just sharing information I learned.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have some of the same reservations, I have my truck schedule for next Tuesday to do cab sides, front & back, the rear and panoramic sunroof. originally included windshield but canceled that part. I was thinking out loud in my reply on your post, really more commenting on my original post. I had concerns, but the dealer rectified that by saying no issue. Depending on brand 70 or 80 % ceramic tint is pretty light, can barely notice. I was concerned if it effected the sensors/camera. I watch several video's of them tinting a windshield
. This one at Obsessed garage with Martin from Alligator Window Tint. So after speaking with the dealer and asking how my installation from American Detail would be done and how they would protect everything, I think I'm going to change my mine. Not suggestion you should change your mine, you need to do what's best for you. Just sharing information I learned.
I have all the confidence in the tint guy I use to do it properly and not cover where he shouldn't and not drown the dash. Just not sure I need it! Got a covercraft sunscreen for when I have to park it in the sun.

MDram

Reaction score
front windows are done in 35% which is street legal here, and a limo black brow done on windshield. (Windshield has frost on it in picture)

Attachments

• trckkk.jpg
    trckkk.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 39

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe @GeorgiaBoy is referring to this:

Tint Warning.jpeg

I have read of shops refusing to do the windshield to avoid this possibility. Just find a good tint shop and you should be fine. I had the same concern and talked to the tint shop and they said it was no problem (when I'm parked next to Porsches, Land Rovers, and a Mercedes G wagon I think the tint shop knows what they're talking about).

I had the entire windshield done and have had zero issues with it. I wanted to get a ceramic tint but went with the 3M Crystalline because:

1. Has similar specs as ceramic for IR, UV, and heat rejection.
2. I read tons of reviews that commented on the clarity of the film (no distortion).
3. No signal interference (same as ceramic).
4. I wear prescription glasses (and sunglasses) so vision/glare was a concern for me. I'm not blind without my glasses (I'm farsighted) but my progressive lenses sometimes interact wonky when I'm looking through things (like windows). When I look through the Crystalline it's just like looking through the window glass, even with my sunglasses. My sunglasses are prescription and polarized so when I look at my 8.4" screen I get a rainbow effect but I have a perfect view through the tint (no halos, no rainbows, no distortion).

I did not want limo darkness on my windows as I'm not young and it was a pain when I did it 30 years ago. It was great for the Florida sun but I'm too old to roll down the windows at night when I turn so I don't hit the curb. The factory rear windows are just darkened (to ~20%) and there is minimal blockage of anything other than light so I had the whole cab tinted (all in 3M Crystalline). 50% on the front doors and 70% on everything else (rear doors, back window, and windshield). I thought that 70% might be too dark on the windshield (I wanted 90% but the tint shop only carried 70% and the "lightest" color) but have been very happy with the results. Vision is crystal clear (day and night)

The Crystalline is comparable to ceramic so it's all a personal choice. IMO what's more important is the quality of the tint and the install. I was only going to use 3M or Llumar (made by Eastman Kodak) and a premium installer. Found a great shop and they had 3M so went that route. Not cheap (the windshield will definitely added to the bill) but I also have a lifetime warranty on the tint. If it ever has a defect I can go to any 3M authorized tint shop to have it fixed or redone (and that includes if it ever bubbles).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread