5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tint/ protection recommendations

Deriggs007

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Can someone recommend a good tint that's pretty affordable? I'm not too savy with the tint options available. Also, is getting wraps or other wax jobs worth the $$$

Little background.

I live in the south Texas region so it's HOT, so I would like something that's best for this kind of weather. Also, it's dirty/dusty and since I'll be driving a blacked out laramie, I want to keep this puppy as black and shiny as I can.
Also looking for recommendations to make that happen.

Thoughts?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Can someone recommend a good tint that's pretty affordable? I'm not too savy with the tint options available. Also, is getting wraps or other wax jobs worth the $$$

Little background.

I live in the south Texas region so it's HOT, so I would like something that's best for this kind of weather. Also, it's dirty/dusty and since I'll be driving a blacked out laramie, I want to keep this puppy as black and shiny as I can.
Also looking for recommendations to make that happen.

Thoughts?

I'm not religious about tint brands but would definitely recommend a ceramic tint for anyone in the south. It blocks UV and heat which is easily worth the extra cost IMHO. I also got clear ceramic tint on my windshield to help protect the leather dash.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm considering something for the pano to help block some of the FL heat.

geotex1

Reaction score
Definitely a ceramic window tint. I personally like Xpel. Paint Protection Film is an investment, but one that proves itself in keeping the look and value of your truck up. As for coating, that's up to you. There are benefits to advanced coatings of today, but if you regularly detail yourself with quality products that works too.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
How much of a ceramic tint? I heard something like 5%, is there a guideline? Again, sorry - but I usually purchase my vehicles with a pre-installed tint.

EJ_Reynolds

Reaction score
How much of a ceramic tint? I heard something like 5%, is there a guideline? Again, sorry - but I usually purchase my vehicles with a pre-installed tint.
I have 15% all around and 70% on my windshied. 5% is DARK. I believe the rear glass is 30 or 35% from the factory for reference. The lower the number, the darker the tint.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah 5% is really dark. The rear glass has to be darker than 30 as I had 20 on my front windows and they may have been lighter

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FormulaOne (Lumar) Pinnacle Series

A few things:

1. Tint is worth spending a little bit of money on, both the product itself and the installation. If either is bad, you'll hate your truck or spend money again to redo it.
2. Ceramic yes but take care; some are reported to block phone signals
3. Coloring differs among tint brands and product lines. You can end up with a mix-matched ghetto-looking truck if not careful.

If you're not interested in doing the research, get the Pinnacle Series and be done. It's a higher-end, but not top line, ceramic tint and after 1.5 years I've never had phone interference. Heat rejection is pretty darn good; cab is always comfortable in the summer time and I do not feel the intensity of the Florida sun through the window. The coloring is a good match with Mopar's OEM tinting. 30% on all windows is perfect imo; combined with the OEM tint in the rear, the rear is nice and dark yet the front is still legal and dark enough. Figure about $300 to $350 total, excluding tip, for pro installation on all windows.

Powerman1960

Reaction score
I live in the south, too. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, precut tint is available. I ordered a precut set of ceramic tint, 20%, for my two front door windows off of ebay (from filmvantage) @$42 and installed it myself. He has several shades and qualities of film at reasonable prices. This was Alpine ceramic film that I used and it was high quality vs the dealer installed tint when I bought the truck and it was fairly easy to install. I did remove my door panels for installation. As for keeping the exterior clean and looking good , I usually use McGuire's Gold Class wax, but, for the last two years I have used a polish/sealer product call F-11 Topcoat and it has resulted in a great shine and protection for my vehicles. Good luck!

schoon85

Reaction score
I agree with the Llumar Pinnacle series recommendation. I've had a few different brands of ceramic over the years, including Huper Optic and 3M. Hands down the Llumar is best of them. Plus they offer a lifetime warranty against bubbling, fading, peeling, etc. and a 1 time no fault warranty where they'll replace it no questions asked for free. I did 15% fronts to match the rear, and 80% on the windshield. Will post pics later, truck is getting Line-X'd right now.....

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's the visibility like looking out the fronts when tinted? And how about the interior glare at night? I haven't have my fronts tinted since I was a kid in the late 80's.

schoon85

Reaction score
That looks nice.

What was the cost if you don't mind me asking? Also, the price for your Line-X - We're similar in that I bought my truck wanting to do liner, tint and steps.

Think I paid $300 out the door on the tint and $700 on the liner. Make sure you get the 2nd tier (premium) of the LineX. The basic isn’t nearly as good.

schoon85

Reaction score
What's the visibility like looking out the fronts when tinted? And how about the interior glare at night? I haven't have my fronts tinted since I was a kid in the late 80's.

Interior glare is minimal, unless you have the interior lighting turned up. My visibility has been good, although I had the exact same tint on my 4Runner the last few yrs so I may be used to it.

Deriggs007

Reaction score
What is a decent cost for the most important areas for PPF such as Xpel typically run?
I'm off this whole next week and tomorrow morning, I plan on trying to get this all paid for and then go to the Beach for 2-3 days and come back to get my truck completely done.

My plan is to get sidesteps, bed liner, tint.

Trying to get an honest opinion of prices in the south Texas region. My dealer quoted me $1800 for power running boards (I assume mopar), tint at $300, Liner at $400.
Amerguard which has good reviews in my area was going to charge $1900 for Amp power running boards, tint starting at $250-$350 and $445 for their Amerguard liner.

Users who are viewing this thread