5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tint for front windows?

Glenn54

Reaction score
I want to get my front windows tinted. The primary purpose is to reduce heat from sun while driving. What do you recomment?

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan to use ceramic. 15%on back, 35% on front windows. Haven’t decided on the windshield yet. I’ll at least darken the brow an may do 70% on the entire windshield.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had all windows done with Lumar CTX ceramic, 35 for the "5" windows and had 80 put on the windshield. It makes a HUGE difference in a vehicle with this much glass, well worth it if you do long distance driving or are in sunny states. Plus if you feel like your AC is underperforming it will help with that too.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I used 3M Color Safe, still good heat rejection but not as good as ceramic, but since my truck is mostly indoors I didn't see it as important. I went with 35% because I want to actually see at night.

Still matches well with the rest of the truck.

BNeal

Reaction score
I did ceramic on all glass - including that monster sun roof. Windshield is barely noticeable. It still gets hot in this 100 degree TX heat, but it cools down much faster, and I know it's helping to protect the leather dash. Expensive, but I'm glad I did it.

O

Old member 1160

Be really careful with tinting the windshield…it’s risky based on where a control module is placed

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used 3M Crystalline; 70% on the windshield and 50% on front door windows. I’m very happy with it.
Gerry
I just had this done a couple of weeks ago. I wanted it done once and done right so I went with 3M Crystalline (50% on the front door windows and 70% on the rear doors, rear window, and windshield). Not cheap for the tint or the labor for install but I got it done at one of the top shops in the area with a lifetime warranty.

Since CA rules are only 4" on top of windshield and 70% on front doors I wanted a little lighter (90% the windshield) but 70% is the "lightest" they stock so went with it. It's still easy to see at night and tons of other people are doing 5% so I don't think I'm at risk of being cited. :cool:

Super happy with the results. I've tried 3 times to have my dealership do the A/C TSB to no avail. 80F was about the highest my A/C could keep up with (75F if the sun is out) before it was back sweat city. I've been as high as 93F outside temp and the A/C keeps up just fine. It's no icebox but the cab is cold and the tint keeps the heat off me and it doesn't feel like I'm burning like an ant under a magnifying glass if the sun is shining on me.

Be really careful with tinting the windshield…it’s risky based on where a control module is placed
There is a warning about all the electronics behind the dash, especially the Body Control Module (BCM). I have read of others that have had shops tell them they won't tint the windshield because of this:

95E0BE8D-2063-41CB-BC2F-74D0CE5C125B.jpeg

The shop I went to does a lot of high end cars so they are thorough and careful and had no problem with it.

Last edited:

jmsnoodl

Reaction score
I’ve got 30% on the windshield and 5% all the way around

Attachments

• B31851FD-2FE3-488C-A445-B0E34B72C796.jpeg
    B31851FD-2FE3-488C-A445-B0E34B72C796.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 74

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I plan to use ceramic. 15%on back, 35% on front windows. Haven’t decided on the windshield yet. I’ll at least darken the brow an may do 70% on the entire windshield.
I have all of my windows done - do it on all vehicles - but the Ram is the first where I did the full windshield. GAME CHANGER! Will do it on all vehicles going forward.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have all of my windows done - do it on all vehicles - but the Ram is the first where I did the full windshield. GAME CHANGER! Will do it on all vehicles going forward.
Definitely agree that tint is a heat game changer and had it done on every vehicle I've ever owned. Never thought about doing the windshield but intrigued to see how much cooler it will make it. Nervous about all the electronics getting wet, but the guy at the shop I plan to use did his personal vehicle and mentioned all the precautions they take before I even asked!

Still wavering but will probably end up with 70% on windshield.

NoOtherHobby

Reaction score
Everyone keeps mentioning that doing full ceramic isn't cheap. How much did you all pay for materials and labor? It's been years since I've had to tint but I'm going to get mine done in a few months and am curious what kind of damage I'm looking at? Thanks

GerryS

Reaction score
Mine was $400. Windshield and front door glass done with 3M Crystalline.
(Done while vacationing in Florida)

Gerry

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Everyone keeps mentioning that doing full ceramic isn't cheap. How much did you all pay for materials and labor? It's been years since I've had to tint but I'm going to get mine done in a few months and am curious what kind of damage I'm looking at? Thanks
My QUOTE was $350 for Back, Rear and front. And $265 on windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread