5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tint disaster

Daytona952

Reaction score
Have these so called professional tint shops ever herd of a soap rope? The level of incompetence is astounding.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have these so called professional tint shops ever herd of a soap rope? The level of incomitance is astounding.
I know you didn’t mean to put it, but I learned something new today- the meaning of incomitance.

axellamas

Reaction score
I drive a 2020 ram rebel, Just got my windows tinted today all 4 including the front windshield. I drove off and all of a sudden the dash said my tailgate was open(I didn’t recall opening it) I pulled over and it was closed. I opened it and closed it anyway.
got home and when I locked my truck the horn sounded. So I unlocked it and my horn went off again. Then my tailgate openef automatically. So I took it back to the shop and when I went use my right turn signal it indicated my tailgate was open and my horn would go off when I leave my right turn signal on. The shop told me to leave my truck for 2-3 hours and let it dry. It was annoying and frustrating how they let it happen.Did your car go back to normal after? Do I need to look at something or open a compartment to check for excess water ?
Hi. What happened with your truck? How do they solve the problem? Now my ram 2019 is having same issues after windshield tint, hope you can help me find the solution because dealership haven't found it , thanks

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi. What happened with your truck? How do they solve the problem? Now my ram 2019 is having same issues after windshield tint, hope you can help me find the solution because dealership haven't found it , thanks
Sounds like the classic "water in the BCM" issue. Others have reported it.

The Body Control Module is mounted inside against the firewall. Several wiring harnesses enter it on the top. The tinting/film application process squeezes water/soap solution out. If water escapes, it can follow a harness and enter the BCM. Then, it either has failures due to water and they will self-resolve as the water evaporates, or the BCM gets fried and you need a new one.

It's a known thing, and my tinting shop used a microfiber rope wedged between the dash and the windshield to catch any of that water.

^^^
All of that is, "as I understand it." Add salt as needed. :)

Simzram22

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me when I got my windshield tinted. They had to keep it over night to let it dry out. Every time they tried to start it the horn would constantly ring. All was fine the next
Same thing happened to me when I got my windshield tinted. They had to keep it over night to let it dry out. Every time they tried to start it the horn would constantly ring. All was fine the next morning.
Off subject but thumbs up to Gtechniq CSL & EXO ceramic coating. Real ceramic lasts 1+ years

galito.molina

Reaction score
Brought the truck in for tint on the front windows and windshield and didn't get to bring it home. They apparently used to much water or something on the doors and messed up the electronics in the door. It set off the horn, lights flashing, doesn't start anymore. I suggested the Assistance button so they could do remote diagnostics or reset something, but apparently pushing that button just caused the windshield washers to squirt. They think once it dries out overnight it will be back to normal, apparently they have seen this happens in other cars before. I'm at least not paying for the tint, so I guess there is that...
Hey! I just passed for this same situation! Unfortunately my BCM did went broke, no good even after drying it. Now my truck is not starting, ia dead like Battery death, I bought the new BCM but cannot get it installed, did you replace the BCM? How did it go?

banditsc

Reaction score
Hey! I just passed for this same situation! Unfortunately my BCM did went broke, no good even after drying it. Now my truck is not starting, ia dead like Battery death, I bought the new BCM but cannot get it installed, did you replace the BCM? How did it go?
Mine dried out and had been fine for the past 4 years or so.

Zdub

Reaction score
Yet another windshield tint nightmare. Just picked up a 2023 Bighorn. Thankfully before I even left the dealer lot, I found this forum. It has been a great resource. Anyhow, thanks to the forum, and this thread in particular, I knew the windshield was problematic to Tint. I brought it up to the Tint shop multiple times and they said don’t worry about it. We’ll do it correct

Of course they didn’t. They have offered to make it right. Does anyone know off the top of their head? What a dealer would charge to replace the board? I’m talking to the Tint shop today and of course nobody’s open for the holidays. I’m less upset about the water damage and having my hazards flash randomly, as I am having a Carfax report that mentions water damage on a brand new truck.

Happy holidays, y’all and thanks for all the help

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m less upset about the water damage and having my hazards flash randomly, as I am having a Carfax report that mentions water damage on a brand new truck.

Unless the shop reports to carfax or you file an insurance claim there should be no carfax report.

Zdub

Reaction score
Unless the shop reports to carfax or you file an insurance claim there should be no carfax report.
Thanks Deg! It would be easily explainable if and when I sell my truck, but it gives me some relief that it should stay off the report

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Old/new thread posts I know. On my 2019 I did a clear ceramic on the windshield, made a good difference on heat gain.

The installer was very aware of the left corner issues. Cost almost $250 just for the windshield back in 2019.
I won‘t bother with that again especially since insurance company (agent) said they don't replace windshield tint on a replacement broken windshield.

I never had to test that statement but don't want to with my 2023.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yet another windshield tint nightmare. Just picked up a 2023 Bighorn. Thankfully before I even left the dealer lot, I found this forum. It has been a great resource. Anyhow, thanks to the forum, and this thread in particular, I knew the windshield was problematic to Tint. I brought it up to the Tint shop multiple times and they said don’t worry about it. We’ll do it correct

Of course they didn’t. They have offered to make it right. Does anyone know off the top of their head? What a dealer would charge to replace the board? I’m talking to the Tint shop today and of course nobody’s open for the holidays. I’m less upset about the water damage and having my hazards flash randomly, as I am having a Carfax report that mentions water damage on a brand new truck.

Happy holidays, y’all and thanks for all the help
Just don't mess with it for a day or two and let it dry out. No cost, no reports, nothing.

If you don't have a climate controlled area to park it, you may need to circulate warm air to dry it out in a cold or damp climate. The tint place shop should work.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just don't mess with it for a day or two and let it dry out. No cost, no reports, nothing.

If you don't have a climate controlled area to park it, you may need to circulate warm air to dry it out in a cold or damp climate. The tint place shop should work.
Since there has already obviously, been power applied to the truck after the tint, there is a chance something burned up in the BCM. Yes, there have been reports of people letting it dry and not having any noticeable issues, but if the tint shop is willing to pay for the repairs then it's better to get a new BCM. Even if it dries out and starts to work again, there has already been damage from the water and electrical issues could start popping up further down the road.

Zdub

Reaction score
The Tint shop had fired it up right away, because they called me up and said that the alarm was activated and the horn was honking! Thankfully for now it’s just the four-way flashers flickering occasionally but on a new truck I don’t want to screw around and I’ll replace the board.
After they tinted it, I had to drive home, and then I let it sit for five days, for better or worse. I wound up with Covid so I couldn’t go anywhere. 😬

Still, does anyone have an idea of cost? I’ve got a call into the dealership but they’re backed up with the holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread