5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tint disaster

banditsc

Reaction score
Brought the truck in for tint on the front windows and windshield and didn't get to bring it home. They apparently used to much water or something on the doors and messed up the electronics in the door. It set off the horn, lights flashing, doesn't start anymore. I suggested the Assistance button so they could do remote diagnostics or reset something, but apparently pushing that button just caused the windshield washers to squirt. They think once it dries out overnight it will be back to normal, apparently they have seen this happens in other cars before. I'm at least not paying for the tint, so I guess there is that...

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
Thats a positive mindset. Sorry you're experiencing this. I hope it's solid after drying out, but if not I'd be all up on that shop bearing teeth and claws.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doubtful that too much liquid in the doors did anything... doors get wet inside by design. Did you have the whole windshield tinted? If so, that is more than likely what caused the issue. Control modules are usually located inside the dash, and liquid seeping down there can wreak havoc. Drying out or not, you may have issues later on because of this if it does goes back to normal. Last time I had a full windshield tint done, I made them stuff papertowels in between the entire dash and windshield to ensure this wouldn't happen.

banditsc

Reaction score
Truck is back and all is normal again, no error codes and everything works. Apparently you need to watch out for the left corner of the dash, there is a unsealed area that leads a wiring harness and down to a module in the A pillar area. So if anyone is having there windshield tinted make sure they pay special attention to sealing up the area before they get it all wet.

I have apparently angered the automotive gods or something, can't catch any breaks. I brought home my old truck from the dealer today, planned to spend the day detailing it and getting it ready for sale. I managed to hit some debris in the road that I couldn't avoid, it actually kicked up and put a 5 inch long dent and scratch down to the primer in the middle of the back door. :(

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me when I got my windshield tinted. They had to keep it over night to let it dry out. Every time they tried to start it the horn would constantly ring. All was fine the next morning.

CHARMCITY

Reaction score
Older thread but I'm dealing with the same issue.. I think. Just got my widows tinted (front windshield too) and my truck will not start. All lights on the dash came on but it kept saying "vehicle not in park". The truck would not let me cycle the ignition to the OFF position and the brake would not press down all the way either. The radio also was showing I needed to enter a "anti theft code"... Truck is sitting at the tint shop over night... you guys have any more issues?? im worried it was water damage as well

banditsc

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues since it dried out. You should be ok after it dries.

d_THRILL

Reaction score
They think once it dries out overnight it will be back to normal, apparently they have seen this happens in other cars before.
I know this is an older thread, but holy hell I can’t believe the ignorance of a shop that is aware of such issues yet does nothing in their prep to avoid it. Crazy stupid.

CHARMCITY

Reaction score
**** idk man, let it sit over night and still not starting... getting towed to the dealership in the morning.

trixdesigns

Reaction score
Just brought mine into the dealer for something similar. Had the side windows and a visor strip done (not the whole windshield).

The tint shop says they made sure to use very little water on the visor strip because they have articles about the 2019 1500. The installer knew exactly the area in the front left of the dash that’s an issue and said that’s why they won’t do full windshields on them.

We’ll see what the dealer says.

Error Codes being thrown:
Service Stability Control
Service Trailer Brake Control
Front and Rear parking/cross path sensors are disabled (trying to enable them says Unavailable on the EVIC)
Front Collision Warning is disabled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aj30589

Reaction score
I’m having the same issues with my 5th gen rebel. The horn did stop after a few minutes but the hazards still won’t cut off after a week. Service is attributing to the alarm system but no answers no resolve yet. Anyone have any solutions ?

Firebird

Reaction score
I just had my windshield done, the tint shop warned me that Ram was the worst for getting dash electronics wet and not starting afterwards, he even had me sign a waiver. That being said, he used a water seal around the dash, as well as plastic and towels to keep the water out. I had no issues.

Klute

Reaction score
My tint installer will not tint any windshields for this reason, even with a signed waiver from the customer.

GWOT_made

Reaction score
@banditsc and anyone else who had this issue, it's been awhile since the original incident. Any odd things happen since that could be linked?

Had my windshield tinted yesterday and they kept texting me asking for another hour to "make sure it was perfect and no smudges." I thought to myself how awesome it was they cared to make it perfect, until finally they were closing at 4pm and told me it suddenly wouldn't start. Now today at noon they checked it and say "they want to let it all dry out" until tomorrow.

Now I'm stuck renting a vehicle for tomorrow as I'm sure First Sergeant isn't going to excuse me for something so stupid. The shop does the best tint jobs around and I'm planning to keep going back for vinyl work and PPF so I'm keeping my cool for now, but man I just wish they would've been honest from the start.

Damion

Reaction score
A good friend of mine tints for a living, he had told me that he hates doing the windshield on the 5th gens, because of getting water into he module at the base of the windshield. When he does do one, he stuffs microfibre cloths at the edge of the dash to keep the water at bay. ( He won't do the entire windshield, just. the upper brow )

barr0208

Reaction score
got mine done at the ming center no problems.then got new front windshield due to crack no waivers to sign waited for my new brow to be installed no alarms no starting problems

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
I do tint for a living and I will chime in. We have known about the issue since the new body style came out. Our tint manufacturer sends us a "warning notice" when something like this happens. I didn't tint my whole windshield on this truck like I normally do but it had nothing to do with the control module. I simply can't see good at night anymore, so I did just the 8" brow at the top. But when we do a whole windshield on the new Rams or Chevys we use a soak rope at the bottom of the windshield where it meets the dash. We also tint a bunch of Teslas and they have the same issue. So the $35 we spent on the soak rope was well worth it. http://www.soakshield.com

As for the doors, we don't use anything special on them, we just simply tint them as normal. It doesn't hurt them if a little water gets on the controls. I wouldn't drench them, but a little won't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread