5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tint disaster

hellmans

Reaction score
interior wiring and modules dont have a water seal like exterior connectors...hope it dont corrode and turn green..oooo the problems

Kob0583

Reaction score
Had my windshield done yesterday, guy said it’s not a big deal just have to be careful and use extra ropes and towels. Said he done a lot of them with no issue. He said some shops use some kind of pressure sprayer and just use to much water. He used a water bottle. Said Tesla’s are harder. Right shop can do it without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
I never knew until now tinting the whole windshield was a thing. Maybe safest thing to do is just wear your sunglasses when night driving?

What's the purpose of tinting a windshield if I may ask? If it's because of the sun, please just stay off the roads period. People can't drive in plain eyesight that they can see right in front of them already. Sorry LOL

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always thought it was illegal to tint the entire windshield.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Kob0583

Reaction score
If you tint it with 70 ceramic it will reduce glare and heat, your truck will stay cooler when parked and will cool down faster, also helps with heating in the winter. AC will not have to work as hard or as much. It is illegal in most states but 70 is very likely to go unnoticed. In FL cops don’t really care unless it’s super dark, I would not go darker than 70 as it would be hard to see at night and much more likely to get you pulled over. They even make a 90 that’s damn near clear but I like having some glare reduction. If you want it done make sure you find a shop familiar with the 19-20 rams as if the BCM on the fire wall gets wet it can cause all kinds of problems. Ceramic tint all around keeps your truck cooler, AC won’t work as hard and will keep your interior from being damaged by UV rays. It’s great mod but not for everyone as it is in most cases illegal.

Geephunk_

Reaction score
I drive a 2020 ram rebel, Just got my windows tinted today all 4 including the front windshield. I drove off and all of a sudden the dash said my tailgate was open(I didn’t recall opening it) I pulled over and it was closed. I opened it and closed it anyway.
got home and when I locked my truck the horn sounded. So I unlocked it and my horn went off again. Then my tailgate openef automatically. So I took it back to the shop and when I went use my right turn signal it indicated my tailgate was open and my horn would go off when I leave my right turn signal on. The shop told me to leave my truck for 2-3 hours and let it dry. It was annoying and frustrating how they let it happen.Did your car go back to normal after? Do I need to look at something or open a compartment to check for excess water ?

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad I came across this thread. Getting my windows tinted next week and will be sure to mention this to them. They may already know but I'd rather not risk damaging my vehicle.

lawlavigne

Reaction score
Damn I wish I would have known this was an issue before today. Truck won't start after tint job. They said they are pretty positive it will start in the morning after drying out and leaving a humidifier in the truck overnight. They gave back partial refund and ordered a new bsm that will be in Incase they do have to replace it. Also offered to pay for my rental in case it doesn't start in the morning. ****ty situation either way

hellmans

Reaction score
o no,,,,,, interior wiring and modules dont have a water seal like exterior connectors...hope it dont corrode and turn green..oooo the problems

Kob0583

Reaction score
Tint installer has to be careful otherwise it will go crazy

MrMattacus

Reaction score
I do tint for a living and I will chime in. We have known about the issue since the new body style came out. Our tint manufacturer sends us a "warning notice" when something like this happens. I didn't tint my whole windshield on this truck like I normally do but it had nothing to do with the control module. I simply can't see good at night anymore, so I did just the 8" brow at the top. But when we do a whole windshield on the new Rams or Chevys we use a soak rope at the bottom of the windshield where it meets the dash. We also tint a bunch of Teslas and they have the same issue. So the $35 we spent on the soak rope was well worth it. http://www.soakshield.com

As for the doors, we don't use anything special on them, we just simply tint them as normal. It doesn't hurt them if a little water gets on the controls. I wouldn't drench them, but a little won't hurt.
I got mine done a few days ago and am having electrical problems. The shop knows its from getting water into something and all he will do is refund what i paid for tint ($200). my hazard lights are constantly blinking now so it really sucks driving at night lol. If this happened at your shop what would you do to fix it?

blankcanvas

Reaction score
Brought the truck in for tint on the front windows and windshield and didn't get to bring it home. They apparently used to much water or something on the doors and messed up the electronics in the door. It set off the horn, lights flashing, doesn't start anymore. I suggested the Assistance button so they could do remote diagnostics or reset something, but apparently pushing that button just caused the windshield washers to squirt. They think once it dries out overnight it will be back to normal, apparently they have seen this happens in other cars before. I'm at least not paying for the tint, so I guess there is that...
I have to commend your attitude man I’d be struggling to find a ‘guess there’s that’ note to end on let alone the lack of cursing one would expect to see in a post like this… cause that sounds like some OZ I’m melting kind of stuff one wouldn’t expect… I’m sure they’ll make it right especially given how your handling it!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just had mine done. (Suntek CIR.) The guys who did it are pros...and one owns a 2020 Ram. When I talked about the BCM, he started laughing. "Yep. Know all about that."

My guys used a microfiber rope (whatever it's called) when they did the front windshield. I'm only a few days into it, but the difference in the cab is amazing. I mean...friggin' amazing.

If you're in NC near Winston-Salem and want a recommendation, PM me.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got mine done a few days ago and am having electrical problems. The shop knows its from getting water into something and all he will do is refund what i paid for tint ($200). my hazard lights are constantly blinking now so it really sucks driving at night lol. If this happened at your shop what would you do to fix it?
I would be getting the shops business insurance information as the truck was at the dealer for repairs. Screw the $200. If he is a real company he is licensed, bonded and insured for a reason.

Any push back and I am sure the local law firm of Shyster and Gargamel would love to give them a call on your behalf.

Last edited:

2020SilverMidnight

Reaction score
Just had mine done. (Suntek CIR.) The guys who did it are pros...and one owns a 2020 Ram. When I talked about the BCM, he started laughing. "Yep. Know all about that."

My guys used a microfiber rope (whatever it's called) when they did the front windshield. I'm only a few days into it, but the difference in the cab is amazing. I mean...friggin' amazing.

If you're in NC near Winston-Salem and want a recommendation, PM me.

I am pretty sure we did that for you. And it's great to hear you are enjoying it. Glad we could help!

Tinted

Reaction score
what tint company do you use?
Our tint manufacturer sends us a "warning notice" when something like this happens.

As for the doors, we don't use anything special on them, we just simply tint them as normal. It doesn't hurt them if a little water gets on the controls. I wouldn't drench them, but a little won't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/